Author Topic: What is this on my unpainted minis?  (Read 6738 times)

Offline Daargrim

What is this on my unpainted minis?
« on: May 25, 2010, 06:29:05 AM »
Quick question....can someone tell me what this is on my minis?  I have an idea but wondering what other people think.  its a rough raised surface about the same color as the metal.  It almost looks corroded in some way...

EDIT: [picks deleted] discussion on this can be found here: http://forum54.oli.us/index.php/topic,6391.0.html
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 05:53:20 PM by Daargrim »

Offline Glenn M

Re: What is this on my unpainted minis?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 07:54:00 AM »
Dunno, but a file should take care of it.  Once you get it cleaned up, I'd prime it to keep it from getting worse.

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 08:25:33 AM »
 Looks like lead rot.

Offline Daargrim

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 09:07:28 AM »
Dunno, but a file should take care of it.  Once you get it cleaned up, I'd prime it to keep it from getting worse.

It's more than just this figure, and some of it is in places that would be impossible to file without destroying detail.

Offline Daargrim

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 09:08:31 AM »
Looks like lead rot.

That's what I thought too, just wanted to have someone else come to the same conclusion.  Just got a mega-order from prince august and half the boxed sets have this issue.  I had this happen a couple years back with prince august, but it was just one box, and they shipped me another one.

Offline insan0

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 07:46:23 AM »
I received an order from PA a week ago and one of the blister packs had some of this. It was not as bad as yours, only a couple of sword tips were corroded.

Offline Fremen

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 12:49:07 PM »
So if you do find yourself with some of these minis, what is the best course of action?  Try to file the stuff off and prime them?  I've noticed I've quite a few older minis that have this...