Author Topic: Will the additional UWZ Books ever be released?  (Read 10563 times)

Offline Enker

Will the additional UWZ Books ever be released?
« on: July 16, 2009, 02:21:13 AM »

You know all that they have long promised us to release the ad on UWZ books per .pdf.
But I don't know if this ever will happen. What do you think?
Marines! Lets kick some A S S!

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
Re: Will the additional UWZ Books ever be released?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 05:22:11 AM »
Here's the thing;

It's easy to get all ****y because Thom hasn't released the PDFs.  I am just as guilty of this as everyone else so don't take this as a personal attack against you or anyone else.
The problem is that to release what amounts to a worthy product takes three things.  Time, time and time.
I Jake Brass started Freelancer of Fortune about six months ago with the help of Archer (and hopefully some other people as well) and we he wanted to release monthly.  You'll notice we they are averaging three months per issue (and starting to push to four).  That's because to give you guys the product you deserve you have to write articles, take photos, actually complete projects (that alone is the biggest factor holding up the next issue for me uh, Jake) and then put it all together in a format that doesn't make you look at it and think it was done by a room full of chimps and a PC.  This is great but the crew works for a living, has families, pets, and other things that suck away time.  Especially work.

Thom is an accountant.  In America, contrary to popular belief, tax time doesn't end on April 15th so he is probably up to his eyebrows in issues still, plus preparing his clients for next year.  This means if he has any sort of social life (I don't know about his personal life and speculating on it is crass at best, down right rude and worthy of being kicked off the forum at worst) but I imagine that probably keeps him busy as well.  So at best he has maybe an hour or two a week to work on a project that probably used to have a small team (2-3 people) working perhaps full time, perhaps not and who would still take months to develop and release.  Now he's on his own and we (myself include) are all moaning that it's taking too long.

We need to just sit back and wait patiently.  The game has been out of print for four years; what does a few more months or even a year or two matter?
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 05:48:26 AM »
Enker - I undersatnd you want the pdf's. I can safely say everyone does.

I am the sort of mind set that a fully cooked chicken is better than a half-baked one.

Thom and everyone. I like my chicken fully cooked and tasty please.

A quality well written pdf >>> than a fast produced and released early, non-playtested pdf IMHO.

Anything that adds to our beloved hobby is OK with me even if it takes awhile to produce.
Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.

Pax

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 05:54:39 AM »
the more stress, the more errors. <.< I can wait, really. Rather have any rule book delayed half a year or more and spell checked, tested, re-checked and checked again, and again, and again. Rather than one that gives me the impression it was a quick work with lots of errors in it.

Offline Nighthawk

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 06:14:13 AM »
It's an honest question.

Personally I've got no probs in waiting. I'm still waiting for the new RPG as well though...

I'm a bit jealous of the Chronopia peeps getting new minis on the forum though.. :(   ;)

Offline Enker

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 11:09:38 PM »
Why do you see this voting as a personal attack on Thom or someone else?

I know it is much work and time always is short.
Esp. if you are working as a very small group on it and do this all just for us not for money.

I haven't blamed anyone that he is not doing a great job, just because we are waiting for the pdf.

The thing is only that there comes not much information about this issue from the officials.
And if there are no informations you may assume that the project has been closed because of the lag of time.

Ok I'll take the smite, close the voting and wait patient for the pdfs.
And apologise for stepping on some toes.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 11:27:36 PM by Enker »
Marines! Lets kick some A S S!

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 03:17:58 AM »
I don't think smiting you is appropriate; you merely accidentally stepped into to what could be construed as sensitive territory.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Steel Rabbit

• On A Roll Games
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 05:51:16 AM »
Personally I've got no probs in waiting. I'm still waiting for the new RPG as well though...

Me too... I'm not holding my breath.

I'll be excited for new .pdf stuff but I'm not impatient about it.

Offline micmellon

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 07:50:01 AM »
I can understand that people are getting impatient. It is like telling kids X-mas is soon next after new years eve. And we have all a little child still inside  ;)

Anyway the best will be just to forget about the new stuff and to be surprised when it is released. There is no point to ask all 5 minutes: "Is it released?"

Better to take all the time which is neccessary then to get a lot of not useable rules. I am sure we will have enough dissusions about the rules even if they are perfect.

But honestly I can't wait to get good stuff  ;D
It's just a flesh wound - Black Night

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 07:51:04 AM »
I think you guys will be waiting a long time.  I get the funny feeling it has died a quiet death.  Has CoG games put out anything on it in the last six months?

Offline Lopis

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 11:57:34 AM »
;D ;D ;D ;D do we go to itchy and scratchy land ? do we go to itchy and scratchy land ? do we go to itchy and scratchy land ? do we go to itchy and scratchy land ? do we go to itchy and scratchy land ? do we go to itchy and scratchy land ? do we go to itchy and scratchy land ? do we go to itchy and scratchy land ? ;D ;D ;D
Solus honor cladem avertat !

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 01:02:02 PM »
I'll throw everyone a bone.  Thom and I are very near to selling some generic pewter models.  They're cast.  The promos are painted.  Yours truly is at fault for not being able to produce professional grade photos for the website, and I've punted to Thom.  He will be contacting Hans and Kevin to get that over the endzone.  It's more difficult than I realized, that's for sure.  I thought May release, then June, now it's the month of July, and we'll see how fast it gets done.  I'm psyched for it, but I'll admit, it's been a bit of a tease for those following along.

The Heresy/Chronopia fan related stuff is trickling slowly, as it's all done, but Thom does lead a life like that mentioned; he's busy with work and family.

I know some are irritated about the playtest material as well.  Thom is on the cleaning up of the original rules with a bunch of you, and then the newer stuff comes out.

May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2009, 05:34:35 PM »
Thanks for the update Josh.
Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2009, 06:39:23 PM »
If there's one thing I can't stand it's people who are alway asking about those pdfs.  Man, what kind of people would do that?  I can only sit and wonder....  ;)   ;D :o

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2009, 01:18:33 PM »
Hey I don't blame you.  I irritate Thom prolly more than most.  This weekend he meets with Hans who will hopefully get the pics taken for the models and fix Thom's computer to allow him to post all the stuff we've waited on for so long. 
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA