Author Topic: Flyers and ground movement  (Read 10753 times)

Offline Alchas

• Journeyman
Flyers and ground movement
« on: July 12, 2009, 03:21:53 AM »
Hey. :) We had an issue with flyers when we were playing, and figured someone here might have an answer.

Would a flyer with no ground movement be able to land? And if it did land would it be able to move up again freely with it's air movement or would it have to dedicate an action to lifting from the ground?

Offline Lopis

Re: Flyers and ground movement
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 03:55:12 AM »
Hey. :) We had an issue with flyers when we were playing, and figured someone here might have an answer.
Would a flyer with no ground movement be able to land? And if it did land would it be able to move up again freely with it's air movement or would it have to dedicate an action to lifting from the ground?

No the flyer couldnīt land in the manner of speaking getting from airborne to earthbound.
But you could just fly at 0,001 inch height... if your group allows that
As I see it you would have to choose a height band/altitude in full inches (Iīm not sure if the altitude of "0 inches" would be possible, I think not, since that would make an earthbound movement senseless).

If you could land I think you would not need an action to change the status to airborne again.
You are allowed to change the altitude up to the airborne movement, so you would just declare that I think.

Banshees do that all the time... Hopping from airborn to earthbound ;-)
Solus honor cladem avertat !

Offline micmellon

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 04:20:17 AM »
Rams Air Cav are able to land! But they are nor vehicles. Most of the vehicles have to stay in the air.
It's just a flesh wound - Black Night

Offline Lopis

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 05:30:31 AM »
The issue is about models that havenīt an earthbound movement stat.

A RAMīs Air Cav has an earthbounf movement stat!

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 05:56:16 AM »
Vehicles with no ground MV stat can land.  They cannot Move while landed.  May I ask why this would be an issue?
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Alchas

• Journeyman
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 06:40:38 AM »
Vehicles with no ground MV stat can land.  They cannot Move while landed.  May I ask why this would be an issue?

Good question. =O The capital player (Pax) wanted to hide his great grey behind some terrain I guess.

Anyway does this also mean that when the vehicle has landed it cannot lift again?

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 03:51:13 PM »
No, it does not mean that.  Rather, the vehicle would have to spend 1 inch of movement to achieve height band 1 before it could fly.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Enker

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 11:13:22 PM »
Each Flyer has a Ground Movement.
But for the most it is simply zero.

So you can land but you are not able to move on the ground.
Marines! Lets kick some A S S!

Pax

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 12:37:07 AM »
No, it does not mean that.  Rather, the vehicle would have to spend 1 inch of movement to achieve height band 1 before it could fly.

makes it hard for Great Grey then with 0 in ground movement to start again. I was under the impressions that if a flier is earthbound they could just declare they wish to fly again and use their fly movement to both move forward and rise in altitude. Since nothing else is mentioned in the rules except that a flier might either start in the air or on the ground.

Offline Enker

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 11:08:32 PM »
The ground movement of zero just means, that you are not able to move over the ground.
But you are able to start and land.
How stupid would a Flyer be if he is not able to start or to land.

"Great Grey to Tower. I'm ready to land and my fuel is very low."
"We are sorry, but our engineer just told me, that they have forgotten to install a landing mechanism. Your only option is a crash landing
or we refuel you every 4 hours."

Pax

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 12:14:30 AM »
<.<

my take on it was that. I can land with my Great Grey if it so wishes. Once it do it is earthbound and unable to move unless it states it wish to fly again which means it must spend at least 1 inch to move forward using the flying movement to reach altitude 1, I could just as well move 6 inch up and 6 inch forward to get airborne again in my eyes.

There is no mentioning of anything like this in the rule though so we asked here.

Offline Lopis

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 01:31:55 AM »
<.<

my take on it was that. I can land with my Great Grey if it so wishes. Once it do it is earthbound and unable to move unless it states it wish to fly again which means it must spend at least 1 inch to move forward using the flying movement to reach altitude 1, I could just as well move 6 inch up and 6 inch forward to get airborne again in my eyes.

There is no mentioning of anything like this in the rule though so we asked here.

sounds good to me

Offline Enker

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 02:23:39 AM »

But you could just fly at 0,001 inch height... if your group allows that
As I see it you would have to choose a height band/altitude in full inches (Iīm not sure if the altitude of "0 inches" would be possible, I think not, since that would make an earthbound movement senseless).

Is there an official rule?
I play it this way. 1" is the minimum flight height. Over 1" you can choose freely e.g. 4.5" or whatever.
Sometimes you need this to hover just behind a building edge.

If you are able to flight at 0,001" the hole discussion is senseless.
But I don't think it works like this, because then you can move over the ground with 0,001" ,too.

Offline Lopis

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2009, 03:16:04 AM »

But I don't think it works like this, because then you can move over the ground with 0,001" ,too.

Thatīs why I said "if your group lets you do this".

I think minimum flight height is 1", too.

But thereīs nothing to say against landing, or so to say "going earthbound" by using the range of movement.
If you do so you may not move until you spend movement of at least 1" for height gain, which enables you to move freely afterwards.
It doesnīt cost an additional action, itīs just the normal movement.

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2009, 05:16:22 AM »

Thatīs why I said "if your group lets you do this".

I think minimum flight height is 1", too.

But thereīs nothing to say against landing, or so to say "going earthbound" by using the range of movement.
If you do so you may not move until you spend movement of at least 1" for height gain, which enables you to move freely afterwards.
It doesnīt cost an additional action, itīs just the normal movement.

I think if you are "earthbound" it opens a whole discussion about being able to use the weapon on the flyer. Unless the target is directly infront of you how do you aim or strafe the target?

I have always played the flyer is "hovering" at the 1" height. If they are behind something, again communication is key here. I am hovering behind this wall trying to pick up cover.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 05:20:41 AM by luckyone »
Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.