Author Topic: What is Talamania?  (Read 5184 times)

Offline Steel Rabbit

• On A Roll Games
What is Talamania?
« on: July 09, 2009, 03:30:31 PM »
The title says it all. I haven't been on these boards since Excelsior called it quits. Therefore I ask: What is Talamania? I know it's a gathering, but that's it. Does it have support? Does it take place at a con? Is it a con itself? Where is it? etc. etc.

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
Re: What is Talamania?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 05:18:14 PM »
It is a gathering of those who can make it in Philly every spring. There are no prizes, no power gaming, no huge outlay of cash -- just good gaming and the chance to meet and cement the friendships that have formed on this forum. It is held every year at Dave McGee's (dmcgee1) house. Thom comes and we talk about the old days and the future of the game as we see it. All in all an excellent weekend of all that is best in gaming. I personally think Talamania is a blast and proof that Dave married a saint.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 05:21:24 PM »
Talamania is a whole weekend dedicated to gaming. We focus primarily on Warzone/Chronopia. Everyone there plays these game(s). The weekend is not limited to Warzone/Chronopia. Many many other games are played: Spinspur, Warmachine, Poker, Munchkin (boardgame) etc etc etc. Basically a whole 3-4 days dedicated to gaming, food, having a great time. So far it has been held at Dave's house (see Gaming night at Dave's).

There are several threads with different Talamania covered. The next Talamanie will be held next spring (hopefully at Dave's) It will be the 4th Talamania event.
Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 05:36:18 PM »
Talamania started out as a thrown-together party/game day at Casa McGee when Coil let it be known he was coming to the states.  Taking place about two months after the big game night up here at Gun-Moll's it was coordinated on the board and we had about 12(?) players show up for it....

( I made it for a few hours as Uncle Sam had dibs on me that weekend so I could only stay so long.)

Immediately, t2 was planned out for a yea later and the * of players grew to 15-ish.  It was great with some more games played against new opponents.  

(Again, Uncle Sam curtailed my play time.)

t3 was plotted out for when Coil could make it... and indeed, he did as well as many of the previous year's attendees.  I believe the final tally this year was 17 as about six or seven members bowed out last second or could not make it for $$$ reasons but we had many new faces attend.  I actually managed a full day this time as Uncle Sam decided to not schedule on the same day for a change.

The first three Talamania's took place in a Suburb of Philly in McGee's basement...  The support it has is mostly via the generosity and patience for gamers that Mare (McGee's missus) has.  It helps we are all respectful sorts... and Prime's allowing the use of the old EE tables.

#4 looks like it will too unless there is a willingness to move it to a convention.  Gun-Moll and I are very good friends with a con in Aberdeen Md that runs around mid-April and they would love to have us there (the GW crowd kinda stiffed them last time)
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 02:58:56 PM »
Talamania started out as an attempt to obtain gaming space wherein ten or so Warzone and Chronopia players could get together for a couple days and throw dice, push lead and talk trash.

joshuaslater surveyed the landscape, and thought to himself,'Self, there has got to be a way outta here, said the joker to the thie...oh, wait, no - that's Battlestar Galactica.  Oh yeah - GAMING!  There has got to be a way to get ten or so gamers together for a few days of gaming in both Warzone and Chronopia."  joshuaslater (Josh, from here on out) started making plans for said event.  He scouted potential spots for square footage, climate, furniture, etc.  He found a couple decent places.  He started putting the call out for interest on the boards, and received a good response.

People started making plans, purchasing travel options and reserving time off from work.  All was looking well, until we hit a level of response that was, simply, not expected.  Approximately twenty people committed to showing up.  Suddenly, we (Josh, me and Phillysniper) were scrambling for other options.

Phillysniper suggested my place.  I had space in the form of two basements.  Because they were basements, they were relatively temperature controlled.  I thought to myself, "Hmmm, there's got to be some way...(sorry)..."Mare (the wife) might be okay with this.  I'll run it by her, and duck."

Imagine my surprise when she said, "Let me get this straight - for one weekend, the kids will go to your mother's, you'll clean the basement in preparation, you won't be be spending money to travel and eat while gaming elsewhere, I won't have to cook, and I'll be outnumbered twenty males to me?  Okay!"

The "con" was on!  Someone posted that the "con" needed things like a name, and badges.  Because Talaminiatures was the name of the forums, Talamania was born.

The rest, pretty much, is history.  pics of all the Talamanias that have been held are available in the Conventions section.

Talamania iV - A New Hope is, already, being planned.  It will be held at my place, again, though we've moved.  Still got the space for it, the only difference it I own it instead of rent it, now.

Please, check out the Talamaina Section to view the pics of all the fun!
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!