Author Topic: Creating a Dwarf War Totem (Torkha)  (Read 33521 times)

Offline Daargrim

Re: Creating a Dwarf War Totem (Torkha)
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2009, 12:04:22 PM »
Thanks again to all for the great complements.  Just glad others are enjoying checking out my little project.

Let's finish off the construction:

The Four HorseTotemMenDwarves

For the crossbow operator, and his fellow crew member, I used the same pose of Legion Warrior.  For the crossbowman, I used the Dremel to shave metal off the bottom of the figure to make him stand "flat".  Drilling a hole would allow him to be placed on the pin.  I also needed to remove the sword from his hand as I wanted his hands free to use the crossbow.  This involved just breaking off the two parts...the blade above the hand, and the handle protruding form below.  I re-used the blade to put the sword on his back.  I used a section of the previously-broke-apart standard to add a handle back onto the sword.  Finally, I had to bend the arms forward a bit.  That accomplished two things.  One, it made him look more like he was operating the crossbow.  Two, it prevented them from interfering with the mounted Totem Warriors..

Original Legion Warrior used for Crossbowman and other crewmember

Sword removed, based "flattened", and arms bent into position

The original sword, plus a small bit from the dissembled standard

Carefully repairing the fellow's weapon

The other crewmember only required one conversion step: "hollowing out" the area between his legs (what a brave little dwarf!) with the Dremel in order to allow him to straddle the back of the Totem.  No need here to change anything with the weapon.  I tossed around a few ideas for how to mount this fellow, mostly centered around the idea of building him a sort of saddle to sit on.  But in the end, I just went bareback.  It was a combination of not being able to come up with anything better, and the fact that I was close to finishing the project and picked the quickest option!

Crewmember with his "Dwarfhood" still intact (barely)

The creation of the Totem Warriors was more involved.  As mentioned previously, I used Legion Warriors for them as well, but a different pose than the crossbow operator and the other crewmen.  I used the pose that was facing forward a bit more, and had the horn on the shoulder.  Like the crossbowmen, I flattened the bottom of the figures.  The shield arms needed to be bent forward a bit...again to avoid crowding the other dwarves while riding the totem.  But the trickiest part was replacing the swords with axes.  Again, scouring the many boxes of miniatures I had laying around, I settled on some axes from a Reaper Warlord Reven blister pack (#14293).  I carefully drilled small holes in the top of the Totem Warrior's sword hands.  Then even more carefully I shortened the axe handles to an appropriate length, and shaved down the ends so they could fit in the holes I drilled.  Some careful gluing later resulted in 2 converted Totem Warriors.

Totem Warriors after flattening base, removing swords, and drilling holes in hands for axes

Top down view of Totem Warrior ready for new weapon

A "before and after" view of getting the axes ready for battle

I guess I don't have a picture of the Totem Warriors fully constructed, prior to painting, so you'll have to go back to the first post to see them glued together!

Gotta run, but still to come is building the bases for the Dwarves, and some pictures of the painting in progress.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 12:10:44 PM by Daargrim »

Offline Daargrim

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2009, 03:50:57 AM »
Basing the Dwarves

Creating bases for the dwarves was fairly straightforward.  I used the provided bases, drilled holes at appropriate spots depending on where I had drilled the hole in the bottom of the dwarf, and glued in place a paperclip or nail (depending on what thickness I needed).  I used some Green Stuff to fill in the slot on the base where the miniature would normally be mounted.  Then added some ground effects (making sure to avoid where the dwarf miniature would contact the base), added some primer and they were done!

Crossbow operator approves of his newly-pinned base

Bases pinned and filled with Green Stuff

Ground effects added

Primed and ready for paint!

Offline Daargrim

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2009, 04:07:12 AM »
Painting - Totem Crew

I don't have too much interesting to say regarding the painting of the model.  My techniques are fairly straghtforward...mostly drybrushing and highlighting.  But I have pictures of the painting in progress that I thought I would share just to make this story complete:

Offline Daargrim

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2009, 04:10:19 AM »
Painting - Totem Warriors

Offline Daargrim

« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2009, 04:13:43 AM »
Painting - the Totem

Offline Daargrim

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2009, 04:18:34 AM »
Bases

Ready for a layer of Dullcoat!!!

Offline Daargrim

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2009, 04:30:27 AM »
The End of All Things

Well, that's it folks.  I hope this was entertaining/helpful/inspiring/interesting on some level for others.  I've used this model twice in battle at this point, and it is fun to play.  Its nice having a very mobile, high-wounds, ranged weapon with 2 shots per action.

I'll be adding some pictures to the "Army Gallery" threads of my other chronopia minis when I get a chance.

Which way to the Battle?

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2009, 05:08:31 AM »
Very very nice. Thanks for the very detailed posting!

Looks awesome!
Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.

Offline Alxbates

« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2009, 08:50:30 AM »
Beautiful.  An excellent tutorial!  One of the things I like best is that you used fairly simple techniques, tools, and components - and then you explained yourself clearly, too.

This would be well worth reposting to other boards on the web - the Lead Adventure forum, and Reaper's forums (since the beast is a Reaper miniature) come to mind.

Thank you very much for your hard work on the model and the tutorial!

-Alex in Alaska
Wan Chew Tree Faw!