Author Topic: Miniature basing for the Choronpia game  (Read 11685 times)

Offline Von Koss

Miniature basing for the Choronpia game
« on: May 31, 2009, 02:49:54 PM »
I thought a thread for basing questions of certain figures for our game might be helpful for the interested.

Dwarven Flamer-throwers---I know the two figs came with two seperate bases, but would you consider basing both models on one base?  I'm thinking of doing this for appearences but would it cause a disadvantage in gaming terms due to facing and movement paths during a game?  Your thoughts?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 02:52:46 PM by Von Koss »
Total models painted for the year 2011: 14

<The Goal: exceed 534 painted models in one year>
*End Date: Dec. 25th 2011*
2010- 294 (fail)

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
Re: Miniature basing for the Choronpia game
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 06:07:43 PM »
The Firethrower, like the Impaler (not produced), is a two Dwarf, team model.  It's perfectly fine to place the two models on one base, and wouldn't change the game at all.  No matter who attacks the model, it's assumed that the one does the close combat, regardless of where the attacker is. 

Knock'em dead!!
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Wrathraven

• Journeyman
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 02:02:04 AM »
But bigger base might occur in some movement problems ( when 4 example U have small passages on your battleground), or near U there is some spell thrown on the ground then u can get hit becouse U have bigger base...

I have another problem thou... i'm sculpting Tenebrous Crawler, and its size 5. My chariot size 4 has a base 3''x 4''. So what size should be the base 4 "TC" I would think about round one size 4" or the 4"x 5"

Here some mouth Photos:

I can post some more when i will put him on base and prepare 4 painting.

Offline Von Koss

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 09:43:49 AM »
I understand your concerns about the basing of the models for spells and board movement, but I guess it just comes down to whether your more of  a competitive gamer or just a part time/social gamer (which is more my style).  In the following photo I used a 3 inch circular "wall" drill/cutting bit to make the base for my size 4 Desert Crawler( SORRY/Edit- I didn't make this base, it just happens to be the same size as a piece cut with a 3 inch bit.SORRY/Edit). 
 I just like the circular bases(keeping in-step with the rest of my minis for the game- I'm also planning on doing the same for my SOK/Firstborn chariots).  These bases are simple and CHEAP to make, which is my strongest point to my personal stance on the bases for this game.  I do realize that others may feel different about it and that is cool too.  I would love to play a game regardless of how the minis were based.  In saying all that, I do agree that you have a valid point and position.

Here are the other bits I use for sizes 3, 4, and 5 models, which are size circular bits 1 inch & 3/4, 3 inch, 4 inch respectively.

The modeling capability are many with these tools.  Everything from making bases for minis to making movement trays/display boards for transport or home display.  Anyway, I didn't post this to change your mind about your stance on the bases.  I just wanted to share mine and humor you with something you may not have seen...I see new creative things from hobbyists all the time and pick and choose things I like or can use.  Anyway, I hope you enjoy. :)

« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 09:46:59 AM by Von Koss »

2010- 294 (fail)

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 11:21:13 AM »
What kind of board (type and thickness) did you use for the bases? It looks like it woulb be mre economical than buying bases from a game store. Did you pre-flock them or cut then flock? Thanks

Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.

Offline Von Koss

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 04:38:12 PM »
I have always known it as MDF board.  I don't know the exact thickness of it, I just took a round infantry/warband member base with me and placed it next to the closest looking piece they had available to measure the right thickness.  If I remember correctly it comes in 2X2 ft and 4X4 ft sheets at a DIY store such as Lowes or Home Depot.  One sheet can make a lot of bases.  I will not ever need to purchase extra "regulation" sized bases again.  I think it cost me $1.84 for one 2X2 ft sheet.  I also use the For Sale signs to cover the drill bit hole when I glue the mini down in order to fill the hole.  Also, when you make your very own "custom" display base just cut out your holes in the board in the design of your choice and super glue a For Sale sign underneath and then prime it and base it to your preferences ... your good to go. ;)

2010- 294 (fail)

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 05:19:39 PM »
I have always known it as MDF board.  I don't know the exact thickness of it, I just took a round infantry/warband member base with me and placed it next to the closest looking piece they had available to measure the right thickness.  If I remember correctly it comes in 2X2 ft and 4X4 ft sheets at a DIY store such as Lowes or Home Depot.  One sheet can make a lot of bases.  I will not ever need to purchase extra "regulation" sized bases again.  I think it cost me $1.84 for one 2X2 ft sheet.  I also use the For Sale signs to cover the drill bit hole when I glue the mini down in order to fill the hole.  Also, when you make your very own "custom" display base just cut out your holes in the board in the design of your choice and super glue a For Sale sign underneath and then prime it and base it to your preferences ... your good to go. ;)

Ok thanks. Good idea to use for sale signs as a backer etc. I should never buy bases again also.
Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.

Offline Wrathraven

• Journeyman
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 03:09:34 AM »
I like Your posts Von Koss, U have many good points, and i will make round base 4'' inches for my "TC". U have nice bits 4 cutting the MDF. I will try to post some photos of creating my bases: I cut them by saw and then take on the "stone" (I don't know the word in eng.). I will make some photos and show U.
PS: I like Your black Stygians . :)

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 05:04:35 AM »
Once again VK you knock one out of the park.

MDF does come in different thicknesses.  For some reason it's slightly harder to find than a few years ago.  Rumor has it that it is because the dust can be toxic but I have not confirmed that.

If you lack the power tools or are too lazy/inept to use them (I offer myself as an example of this), Litko Aerosystems and Gale Force 9 offer pre-cut generic bases.

http://www.litkoaero.com/mini_bases.php
http://www.gf9.com/store/index.php?cPath=64&osCsid=cc4314515210debfce231d900e754163

I have also used the GW plastic bases for a lot of kits for Warzone.  I bring this up because they two systems share 90% of the basic ruleset.  I have some figures on what are larger bases than they originally came with.  Some is because I think larger size models should be on 40mm bases vice 25mm (this is true of both systems).  Others because the bases they came with just don't work that well (modeling issues going back to the Target days).  One may argue that giving a model a larger base gives it a [slightly you whiner] long range but I counter with the old maxim that "if the enemy is in range than so are you" and it gives them a larger area to be hit by template weapons (mostly spells in the case of Chronopia).
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Von Koss

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 05:47:47 AM »
Thank you, gentlemen for the nice compliments.  Just as a side note: a 1 & 1/8 inch circular wall cutting bit with give you a base that is very close to the "regulation" size base that infantry model normally come packaged with.  I know that it is a bit silly to expect people to waste precious hobby time on making scratch built bases, but I'm a "hobbytard" and I'm constantly on the lookout for neat little tricks to add pleasure to my hobby. 

P.S.  You can also fill the hole in the middle of the newly made base with masking tape placed flatly over the hole as opposed to filling it with wall filler/putty.  Once you put sand/rock or whatever you base with, the tape will hold.  I have had good experiences with both tape and the filler/putty.  Anyway, I'll see you guys around the forum. :)

2010- 294 (fail)

Offline Wrathraven

• Journeyman
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 06:31:12 AM »
So, tell me if i'm wrong, but i think the bases should be...
size 1 - round 3/4"
size 2 - round 1"
size 3 - round 2"
size 4 - round 3" or 3"(width) x 4"(long)
size 5 - round 4" or 4"(width) x 5"(long)

Offcourse 4 me there is no problem if base is bigger than it should be, but it can't be smaller.(And the max is 4"(width) x  5"(long))
As Veez said: "if the enemy is in range than so are you", i like it  ;)

Offline Von Koss

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 06:48:29 AM »
That sounds about right.  If you end up using the circular saw bits to make them just remember to keep the thickness of the cutting teeth in mind.  The base will be just a little smaller than the bit's size.

Just to recap:
size 1: I decided to just bases mine as size 2, but a 1 inch bit might do (if they make them- I could not find any)
size 2: 1 & 1/8 inch bit
size 3: 1 & 3/4 inch bit
size 4: 3 inch bit
size 5: 4 inch bit

* the reason I went this route was that you can place the appropriate amount of attackers around the model when attacking larger models in a game to get those combat bonuses.

2010- 294 (fail)

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 01:01:46 PM »
I'm starting to think we need a new thread.   ???

I've talked to Thom about standardizing bases, and what size base works with each size in the Chronopia game.  Many models are on strange bases, or no bases, and it takes some cool headed players with common sense, i.e. gentlemen, to agree about some things.  I think Thom is in the laid back department and just recommends using the bases that make you happy.

That being said, I thought that the basing for Chronopia should go as follows:
Size 1: 20mm round base.
Size 2: Standard 25mm/1 inch round base.
Size 3: 30 round base, flat or display.
Size 4: 40mm round base, or longer square base for Trampling Totems.
Size 5: 50mm round base, or longer square base for Chariots.

I haven't done the math on these, just used what my eye thinks works.  I've seen Ogres on 25mm and 40mm bases, and think that somewhere in the middle just makes sense.  Per the rules on how many models can gang up on an opponent based on the sizes, I've no idea where to start.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA