Author Topic: Most Memorable PC Games Ever Played  (Read 16343 times)

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
Re: Most Memorable PC Games Ever Played
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2006, 08:48:33 PM »
I'm all about the Ultima series.  Much too much of my life wasted playing those.  I would like to add the Command & Conquer Tiberium/Red Alert series.  Not so hot on this Generals set.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Daikoku

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2006, 11:13:20 PM »
#1 All time most memorable game

Star Fleet 2 - Krellan Commander

An old ASCII + text game for the 8086/8088 processor.  I played it in monochrome because I didn't have a nifty color adapter or monitor (though the hercules did have a color emulator WOOT!).  You got to play the 'bad guys'.  Conquering planets, capturing ships, torturing or executing captives, just take your evil side for a spin and if you're lucky you'll earn The Silver Saber of The Kree and the Henri Zae Medal of Loyalty!

It's available for download now as 'abandonware' on several sites, and there's even a somewhat current 'patch' for the game written by one if it's creators.  Just google it.

Other fun games of note

VGA Planets

Shareware turn based play by e-mail or by door program (who around here remembers what a door program is?) that is rumored to be the 'inspiration' for the Masters of Orion series.  Met my wife playing that game.  There were plenty of 3rd party mods for that game that kept it interesting.

Star Control 1 and 2

Already mentioned.

Global Conquest

Could be played vs another real opponent one the same machine or even more awesomely via telephone modem or null modem cable.  First game I remember having that capability.

Command HQ

Also had multiplayer via modem, but more importantly it had NUKES !!  NUKE THE COMMIES !!! lots of fun.

SimCity, SimEarth, SimAnt, SimCity 2k

Yes, I did own SimEarth and SimAnt...great games all of em.  Always liked sim games.

Tank Platoon

Tank sim.  Great game, also commanded 'support' units like arty and air strikes.  The game did a great job of making you feel like you were actually in the tanks.

Wing Commander

Already mentioned.  This game was the impetus for me to upgrade to a 286 !

EverQuest

The mac daddy of Massively Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Games (MMORPGs).  Spent 5 years of my life in that fantasy world.  Killed every diety that world had to offer and was godlike in my own power at the end.  Sold my account for $800.00 US when I finally quit.  Most addictive game EVER (just ONE more skeleton dear...I'm about to ding!)

NeverWinter Nights

This game came as close as you can get to 'virtual' pen and paper D&D.  You can get your old gaming group together and put them through adventures you can ACTIVELY DM !!  You can (using the DM client) actively take control of any NPC in your adventure....and adventure YOU create using their toolset.

Stronghold & Stronghold Crusader

Not the first RTS game I've owned or played but by far the most fun and evenly balanced between the resource gathering/buliding/and military aspects.

Red Baron

I've always had an interest in all things WWI.  Probably why my #2 army is Bauhaus (spikey spikey piklehaubs!).  A flight sim with emminently tweakable realism set in a period I've always been interested in.  No HUD, no missle lock, no chaff or countermeasures.  Just your machine guns (sometimes rockets and bombs) against your opponents.  You could even paint your planes garish colors too once you achieved the rank of captain.

Pirates!

Sid Meyer's game of swashbuckling goodness.  I've gone through about 12 careers and still not bored with it.  Play it your way...privateer for one of the powers, full on pirate, or opportunist merchant.

StarWars Battlefront 2

A first person shooter that lets you be on one of many sides of the struggle in the SW universe.  On land, in space, heck even be a Jedi! (or Sith).  Much fun to be had.

A long list, and not in chronological order either, but everyone knows I'm long winded.  Those are the most memorable games for me though I have owned MANY MANY more games over the years.

Life is a mountain, death is a feather, duty is all  -  Mishiman Proverb

Offline Gubs

• Prophet Miniatures
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2006, 03:01:39 PM »
X-Com.
Jagged Alliance 2.
System Shock 2.
Wing Commander

Going back to the Amiga:
Phantasy 3
Dungeon Master

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2006, 07:24:15 PM »
i have to give it to Gubs, he knows how to pick the best of the best.

his list plus
The Longest Journey

-PFC joe
Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
  • Your Benevolent Dictator
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2006, 07:06:20 AM »
Good ol' Jagged Alliance...

.I was always torn between picking the really good Mercs, or the ones that made me laugh. :)

('Till I got the edit program that gave everyone 100's in everything, then I had the keystone cops :p)

And X-com.  I started playing it like, 2 years ago, and I'm STILL not done.
"You were engineered with such potential, Serpentor. But you lack the most important DNA of all... Mine!"
Homebase: Northern New Jersey
Ebay: Mokodoba

Offline Stalker

• FAQ Team
  • Mid-west Crusader / FAQ team member
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2006, 06:29:34 PM »
Although not as old as most I was hooked on Deus X a while back.

I need to give a plug to the Ultima series as well but I'd also like to mention

Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves as well as

Mule

Mule wasn't as involved as some but it was always a hoot to play.
If you shoot for the moon and miss, you are still among the stars.

Offline Anubis31

• Administrator
  • Exclesior Staff/Design
    • Excelsior Entertainment
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2006, 07:23:23 AM »
Well I could go on forever but here I go anyway

Starwars: JediKnigt Series, Rouge squadron Series, Xwing Tie Fighter Series, Rebel Strike, Battle Front 1and 2, Republic Commandos

WW2: COD series, MOH Series, BOA Series, Wolfenstein Series, Axis and Allies

Board Game types: Risk, Risk 2

Sims: Pirates, Red Baron, Combat Flight Sim 2004, IL2

FPS: Far Cry, Doom, Doom 3, F.E.A.R, Soldier of Fortune, Battle Field 2, Unreal Tournies.

RTS: Warcraft 2 and 3, Starcraft, Imperial Glory (napoleonic), Medieval Total War, Starwars Empire at War (demo Available just plain awsome), Blitzkrieg, Alpha Centauri, Homeworld2.

I know Im missing some but thats at least a start.

All my favs, Heck Been Playing MOH:AA since it came out on pc and still do online multiplayer a few times a week.

Offline Alpha

• FAQ Team
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2006, 07:11:52 PM »
Some of my all time favorites (some from the way back vault since I'm an old geek)

Sid Meier's Pirates
Civilization
ShadowGate
Wing Commander
Neuromancer
Blade Runner
Myst
Quake
Deadlock
Starcraft
Phantasmagoria
M.U.L.E
Diablo
Hacker
Kings Quest (especially VI)
Age of Wonders
Chamber of the Psi-Mutant Priestess (just for the name alone!)
Lair of the Enchantress
Silent Hill
« Last Edit: February 15, 2006, 07:16:00 PM by Alpha »
Arch Nemesis of the Pathetically Correct
Ebay Handle: Alpha-Male

Wedge

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2006, 11:48:08 AM »
I was so jazzed by this list of games and reminiscing that I decided to REPLAY Jagged Alliance too.  I know what you mean about playing the good mercs versus the funny ones.

I decided to start out using the MERC mercs instead of the ones from AIM.  Well, at least several of them anyway.  Something interesting happened that I never found before.  As I killed them off (some purposely), MERC actually gets more guys.  Bubba is this HUGE guy and then there is Larry Roachburn who was pretty funny.  He is an ex-drug user, but not really.  His addictions come into play in the game.  So far I have killed almost everyone off from MERC and the owner has funny things to say about each of them when they die.

I think I enjoy MADDOG the most.  My favorite quotes from him: "I ate every bug along the way, and there were many!" and, "Did it hurt?  Moron?!"

Too funny!

Offline BlackieX

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2006, 12:08:32 PM »
Just to chip in with my picks-

Knights Of Legend.  EGA old school (and early EGA, if I'm not mistaken) effort from Origins, but still one of the overall coolest RPGs ever.  So many features in the game were ten years or more ahead of their time- the ability to completely customize your character pictures, the depth and breadth of the skill system, the non-linear storyline...  While not the first game to feature completely open-ended gameplay (Wizard's Crown, Roadwar 2000/Europa, and the Phantasie series both spring to mind- possibly Wasteland, as well, although they were all within a few years of each other, so it's hard to tell), it did it beautifully, and the fact that certain character races and classes were unwelcome in some areas, while fine in others, really made you think when you created your party, weighing the natural advantages of a Blackguard or Barbarian, versus the inevitable discrimination you'd suffer.

Elite.  Another oldie, but again, completely ahead of its time and possessed of a vision that no one could've reasonably expected to fulfill, at the time.  What makes Elite so remarkable is that it did live up to said vision, completely.  Be a pirate, be a trader, work for the military, mine asteroids, be a bounty hunter, hunt aliens- do anything you want, all while exploring several different, mindnumbingly vast galaxies, looking for the big score... and when you get your rating up to Deadly, watch as the novella from the manual suddenly becomes unexpectedly relevant.  Arguably the greatest game of all time, IMO.

Morrowind.  Not so old, but still an absolute classic, IMO.  Great graphics, great world, builds on all the things that made Arena and Daggerfall so much fun, while avoiding a lot of the pitfalls they suffered from.  The fact that you can add and/or create content so easily only makes a fantastic game even better.

Transylvania.  C'mon- much like Oregon Trail, if you're in your 20s (or early 30s, in my case), and you've been using computers for a while, you've gotta know and love this game.  Maybe not the best text adventure ever made, but still a lot of fun, in that old school, frustrating, "find the foozle" sort of way.

Darklands.  In many ways a spiritual successor to Knights Of Legend (in my mind, at least), it still manages to be completely its own thing- a realistic medieval RPG.  You can navigate by real-world maps of the period, your actions have consequences, you can work a mundane job to earn money to fund your adventuring, if need be, and if you go for the main storyline, you find yourself in a position where a pyrrhic victory may be your only choice.  Deep, intelligent, and definitely a contender for best RPG of all time.  Only really marred by bugginess issues, which took 7 patches to finally resolve if I remember correctly- but the game is so good, it was worth the patience and effort.

So, yeah- my additions, off the top of my head.  Figured I'd just go in-depth about the ones I didn't notice mentioned before.  Other, already mentioned games I'd call most memorable include Wasteland, Ultima III, Master Of Magic, and VGA Planets.

Wedge

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2006, 10:04:00 AM »
I have Morrowind in a box somewhere, never played it.  Hmmm... I might have to break it out now and take a peek at it.

Offline BlackieX

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2006, 05:03:04 PM »
Just make sure you patch it up before you start, but then, yeah, definitely give it a shot.

It may take a little getting used to at first but once you've acclimated, it's a whole lot of fun, I swear. :)