Author Topic: unit cards & stalk  (Read 5444 times)

Offline GRgeo

unit cards & stalk
« on: May 29, 2009, 11:26:35 PM »
when i start playing with unit cards, how am i gonna place the special ability "stalk" models at the deployment phase???? if anyone can help me i would be gratefull! thank you!

Pax

Re: unit cards & stalk
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 11:47:13 PM »
place them as usual with in your development zone if they do not have any other abilities, like infiltrate, guerrilla training or para drop.

When activation/movement for said squad is due, just move the card without turning it upside down. This continues until you either do a attack with the unit that is the card, or the enemy manage a spot. then flip it as usual, place sergeant in the middle and then the troops around him just as usual.

(That should be correct, I'm kinda new to this as well though so someone else is welcome to confirm that)

Offline GRgeo

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 01:25:52 AM »
ok but the stalk miniature have 6-8 level  penalty for the enemy miniature's LD spot so if i will tell the enemy for that when trying to spot me, even he fails to LD spot, he  will understand what is my miniature. and i dont want that

Pax

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 01:49:42 AM »
Well first of all the enemy model must be within it's own LD value of your units to be spotted so it's only at that distance where it matters. Not counting recognizance training of course or other spot enchanting abilities.

Second use terrain to block line of sight, as long as he can't see your units he can't spot them.

Third, I think it's really bad play if someone plays out their units with stealth units in mind. Moving your whole army to counter a hidden unit you have not spotted yet is just not logical, you don't know it's there. <.<

You can also just tell him to roll and then keep the modifier to yourself, telling him if he succeeds or not. He can control the stealth/stalk value once the card is revealed.

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 12:39:18 PM »
Quote from: Pax link=topic=5796.msg44812#msg44812 date=
place them as usual with in your development zone if they do not have any other abilities, like infiltrate, guerrilla training or para drop.

When activation/movement for said squad is due, just move the card without turning it upside down. This continues until you either do a attack with the unit that is the card, or the enemy manage a spot. then flip it as usual, place sergeant in the middle and then the troops around him just as usual.

(That should be correct, I'm kinda new to this as well though so someone else is welcome to confirm that)

Very good answer.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 12:42:50 PM »
Quote from: GRgeo link=topic=5796.msg44816#msg44816 date=
ok but the stalk miniature have 6-8 level  penalty for the enemy miniature's LD spot so if i will tell the enemy for that when trying to spot me, even he fails to LD spot, he  will understand what is my miniature. and i dont want that

The enemy must try to spot the unit (spend an AC).  This, combined with dummy cards, means that the enemy is not sure if he is failing to spot a dummy or an actual unit.

Stealth is sneaky - it is not invisibility.

If the enemy wishes to move his models toward the unit, not knowing whether it is a dummy card, or not, then he is entitled.  He is NOT entitled to fire upon (or in any other way attack) it until it has been spotted.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Pax

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 09:18:13 PM »
I actually got a follow up question on this.

Dummy cards.

If I check by the rules then after the first round of the battle these cards are removed from game since they were not activated, is this correct? I can think of a few other uses they could have when playing with stealth/stalk units.

If the cards don't need to be removed, would I be able to move them as a stealth unit?

Where can I place the false leads? Anywhere on the table or must they be in my deployment zone? I think being able to put false leads if you put out infiltrate or guerilla squads would be useful to throw of the enemy the first round at least.

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 02:04:18 PM »
Dummy cards are moved just like any card that has Stalk or Stealth.  THey are deployed, normally.  You may use them as an Infiltrator only if you have at least one Infiltrating Unit in your force.  You cannot use them as a Guerilla Unit, and that Special Ability requires that you place the models (not the card) on the board during deployment.

If you have further questions, please, check the FAQ.  Failing to find the answer(s) there, please, post the question in the UWZ FAQ thread.

Thanks!

;)

Pax

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 09:15:19 PM »
thx ^_^

Offline GRgeo

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 02:27:16 AM »
thanks that was very helpfull. I wish i had the chance to have you enemy in the battlefield. hahaha

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 01:44:15 PM »
Welcome aboard, GRgeo!

I haven't seen you around, before today.  Hope we see more of you.  If it's competition you seek, check the Player Locator.  There are planty of folks here willing to play.

Talk at ya later!

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2009, 10:27:00 AM »
Welcome aboard, GRgeo!

I haven't seen you around, before today.  Hope we see more of you.  If it's competition you seek, check the Player Locator.  There are planty of folks here willing to play.

Talk at ya later!

See gaming day at Dave or Talalmania,  if you are close.
Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.