Author Topic: Environmental question  (Read 6718 times)

Pax

Environmental question
« on: May 26, 2009, 11:08:35 AM »
I got a question, or maybe more, about this.

When reading the tables for environmental effects it strikes me that you always get certain effects like limited movement, sight, Communication, etc.

Now what I'm wondering is this. Will survival training help me overcome the automatic effects?

I was looking into this and was thinking that those who do have survival training would be able to decrease the effects of the automatic effects somehow since it's training. So say a survival of 2 then on a environmental effect of 3 on Venus. at lvl 3 you would have 12" LoS and Combat Fatigue 2 by default, will survival training give this effect -2 of the 3 to a total effect of 1 and give me only a 15" LoS? This seemed logical to me since that would let the trained units be better than those who buy gear and just moves in.

On a note on that, it would also mean that survival gear do not let you modify the automatic effects downwards since it's just gear, but else it works just as before and let you easier travel in terrain. (easier to make the survival check for effects)

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
Re: Environmental question
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 01:07:21 PM »
I've only dipped my toes into Warzone, and haven't read all of the rules!!  Shameful, I know.  I'll steer the Warzone illuminati towards this thread though.   :D
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 06:14:58 PM »
Training and Gear lower the overall effect on your Troops and Reduce the chance something awful will happen to your troops.
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 06:33:59 PM »

When reading the tables for environmental effects it strikes me that you always get certain effects like limited movement, sight, Communication, etc.

Now what I'm wondering is this. Will survival training help me overcome the automatic effects?

I was looking into this and was thinking that those who do have survival training would be able to decrease the effects of the automatic effects somehow since it's training. So say a survival of 2 then on a environmental effect of 3 on Venus. at lvl 3 you would have 12" LoS and Combat Fatigue 2 by default, will survival training give this effect -2 of the 3 to a total effect of 1 and give me only a 15" LoS? This seemed logical to me since that would let the trained units be better than those who buy gear and just moves in.

On a note on that, it would also mean that survival gear do not let you modify the automatic effects downwards since it's just gear, but else it works just as before and let you easier travel in terrain. (easier to make the survival check for effects)

Automatic effects still happen.  Visibiilty is a result of dense foliage, fog/mist/haze, etc.  It is not overcome by being better trained.  It is overcome by goggles, or a Hollywood film crew with a big fan and an on/off switch for the fog machine.  ;D

Seriously, though, training only helps with die rolls, not the automatic effects such as movement penalties, visibility issues, comm issues, night rules, etc.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 06:38:35 PM »

Automatic effects still happen.  Visibiilty is a result of dense foliage, fog/mist/haze, etc.  It is not overcome by being better trained.  It is overcome by goggles, or a Hollywood film crew with a big fan and an on/off switch for the fog machine.  ;D

Seriously, though, training only helps with die rolls, not the automatic effects such as movement penalties, visibility issues, comm issues, night rules, etc.

oops.

Thanks for the correction Dave.  I only had it half right.
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y

Pax

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 10:00:24 PM »
Alright, I was hoping survival training gave something more than just a possibility for higher survival rating.

Units trained for combat in environment being able to better prevent things such as weapon malfunctions and movement penalties  in the desert (Desert Scorpions for example), decreased movement and combat fatigue in the jungle (Mounted/ordinary Hussars, Wolfhead Commandos)

Not that it would cancel the effects completely, or not at least all. But making trained units able to decrease the environmental trouble they are experiencing both at chance and constantly. 

Offline Alchas

• Journeyman
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 04:23:58 AM »
Alright, I was hoping survival training gave something more than just a possibility for higher survival rating.

Units trained for combat in environment being able to better prevent things such as weapon malfunctions and movement penalties  in the desert (Desert Scorpions for example), decreased movement and combat fatigue in the jungle (Mounted/ordinary Hussars, Wolfhead Commandos)

Not that it would cancel the effects completely, or not at least all. But making trained units able to decrease the environmental trouble they are experiencing both at chance and constantly. 

*Coughs* You got Wolfhead Dragoons and Jungle Kommandos mixed up there. Anyway I agree. It would have made more sense if survival training cancelled out at least some of the automatic effects. Survival trained soldiers should be able to avoid stuff like combat fatigue and to some extent decreased movement, even if others like decreased visibility would still affect them.

Pax

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 06:02:06 AM »

*Coughs* You got Wolfhead Dragoons and Jungle Kommandos mixed up there.

Whops, bad me. :P

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 09:31:27 AM »

I'm the dude playing the dude disquised as the the other dude.
Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 03:23:03 PM »
Survival trained soldiers should be able to avoid stuff like combat fatigue and to some extent decreased movement, even if others like decreased visibility would still affect them.

They are better able to avoid it, but are not immune.  :)
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Pax

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 08:40:42 PM »
*nods* very well, It just seemed strange that buying a rebreather for one of my elites made them as good at survival as my sea lions. Then again it's possible for them to get even higher survival if they buy it as well I suppose.

Perhaps you could explain something else for me.

Weapon Malfunction:

In desert environment you get automatic weapon malfunction just by being there and in subterranean areas as well to a lesser degree , but other than there it seems no other environmental is able to give this penalty. I was expecting every terrain to have it after reading the description about it where it say it can be caused by: "Frozen gun, sand in mechanisms, moisture."

Anyway, with automatic weapon malfunction, dose that mean that every activation a unit got a jammed weapon, or is there only always the risk?

Also do survival training lessen this roll, making it less unlikely that trained units for these kinds of situations get this problem? (but not suits and masks since they ain't on the gun per see)

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 05:48:48 PM »
Perhaps you could explain something else for me.

Weapon Malfunction:

In desert environment you get automatic weapon malfunction just by being there and in subterranean areas as well to a lesser degree , but other than there it seems no other environmental is able to give this penalty. I was expecting every terrain to have it after reading the description about it where it say it can be caused by: "Frozen gun, sand in mechanisms, moisture."

Anyway, with automatic weapon malfunction, dose that mean that every activation a unit got a jammed weapon, or is there only always the risk?

Also do survival training lessen this roll, making it less unlikely that trained units for these kinds of situations get this problem? (but not suits and masks since they ain't on the gun per see)

I can, and will.  Weapons malfunctions equate to a chance that the weapon will Jam.  In a Level  environment, the weapon will Jam (yes, roll for directly placed templates, here) on a roll of "20" and will require 1 AC to clear the Jam.  Place a marker next to the model to indicate the Jam, as it will carry over into the next Activation if not cleared before then.  In a Level 2, the Jam occurs on a roll of "19" or "20," and so on.  Survival training does not help, at all, as this is an automatic environmental effect.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 05:51:48 PM by dmcgee1 »

Pax

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2009, 10:27:02 PM »
very well, thanks for the answer. :)