Author Topic: Uncharted Seas  (Read 14969 times)

Offline Petru5

• Keeping eastern KC an UWZ!!!
    • Conn-Man Games blog
Uncharted Seas
« on: May 20, 2009, 10:20:55 AM »
Hey all,

I'm looking into a fantasy naval game called Uncharted Seas.  It's produced by Spartan Games.  Has anyone played it?  If so, what did you think? 

I like the ship designs and the rules (that I've been able to glean without actually owning a copy) are reminiscent of Full Thrust or Axis & Allies: War at Sea.

Thanks for any info you can spill!
"Game over, man! Game over!"
-Private Hudson

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
  • THE ALLATLOH of ROCK n' ROLLA
Re: Uncharted Seas
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 06:07:59 AM »
I too would like to hear more
Goddamn! its good to be the MasherKing.
home: New Jersey
E-bay: Johny_wonderful

Offline Von Koss

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 07:38:51 PM »
Dear Lord! Yes, this game is fun. :D

I've only played two games (each one against a different friend) and I've lost one and won one.  I like to play a game instead of concentrating  on squeezing out every advantage I can on the board.  Some gamers may get more out of the "tournament game" than I, but I like to play games that tell a story (just my own personal taste).  Uncharted Seas offers both in my humble opinion.  You can be as tactical as you like or you can be like me...love to just throw down a handful of dice and yell "BOOM!!!" at my buddies as their ship's magazines explode followed by my shameful attempts at doing hip thrusts ... ;D of course I know in due time that karma will come back to bite me. 

The game plays quick (about 30-40 minutes for two starter fleets facing off).  The game is cheap to collect.(That is just my opinion as the other games I play are more expensive to collect.) It was less than $100.00 for a fleet and the rulebook (the starter fleets come with a deck of their race cards in the package). You can make use of the photo copied templates in the back of the rulebook or you can purchase the plastic Litko templates which can be a little expensive but well worth it.

The rules are not bad but you might would want to check out Spartan's web site for FAQ's and recent additions to the races and their "special rules".  This may scare some but I think it is great that they keep the game up to date and are pretty quick to answer rule questions.  Plus, they show sneak peeks of new races from time to time.

The one thing that I really love about this game is that the minis paint up super fast.  I painted up The Human fleet starter in three days which two were work days as well.  I just recently purchased the Dwarf fleet and am looking forward to giving it a go on the table.

Overall,  I thought it was worth the purchase. Two thumbs up  *BUT*...the game is what you make it.  If you have any specific questions I would be happy to go in to detail further.
Total models painted for the year 2011: 14

<The Goal: exceed 534 painted models in one year>
*End Date: Dec. 25th 2011*
2010- 294 (fail)

Offline MadBrad

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 08:11:23 PM »
Boardgamegeek has a page on the game, and the comapnay website is http://www.spartangames.co.uk/

I will look into the game, as it seems fun.   The concept of GW's Man O War also looks great, but their figures are just too dang expensive.   This looks like a viable alternative. 

Cybertronic - Superior by design

E-Bay Handle: bradthemad

Offline Petru5

• Conn-Man Games blog
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 07:00:37 AM »
Exactly, MadBrad!  I like naval games, whether they are water or space-based.  I have plenty of space ships to go with Full Thrust (if you haven't played that game, go to http://www.groundzerogames.net/.  The rules for FT as well as their squad-level and tactical-level land games are FREE!!!), so I began looking for a cool naval game to try.  I ran across Uncharted Seas while at my in-laws (which is where I'm currently at for the holiday) and really dug the ships.   I've looked at the Spartan Games site as well as the meager offerings on the Geek.  Come to find out, a friend of mine has the rules, so I'm using this time to peruse them.  I plan on going to the FLGS here and looking into buying either the Dragon Lords &/or Elves.  My above-mentioned friend is interested in the Dwarves and another set of ships, so that'll make four fleets.
-Private Hudson

Offline Glenn M

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 07:36:49 AM »
I am also very interested in this game, however my budget only allows for so many games, and right now we are trying to balance Heroquest, Starmada AE, Silent Death, Battletech, and possibly AT-43 as well as various card games, so I am already stretched rather thin.

Offline Petru5

• Conn-Man Games blog
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 08:12:16 AM »
Glenn, the cheap alternative for Silent Death is the US Toys ships, but they were recalled because of the Chinese 'lead in the paintjob' debacle.  I think we've talked about these before.  I have spares, if you are ever interested.
-Private Hudson

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 09:01:47 AM »
I have more Silent Death ships than I could ever possibly field in any "realistic" game.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Glenn M

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009, 05:48:27 PM »
Actually I have a fair few Silent Death ships, though I am very interested in getting various fighter cracft from other games for use in it, such as Centauri gliders (so I can paint them like Death Gliders from Stargate) Vipers from BSG, etc.  Thankfully we haven't been playing much Silent Death lately, mostly just Heroquest and Starmada AE. 

I have been slowly replacing my old and tattered Heroquest set with custom parts and components, which can be fairly pricey as most of the figures are now metal, or GW plastics (which are not sold in small enough packages to be of use, so I have to try and find small sets of parts to order, which can be challenging), printing out or buying new sets of cards, etc, overall a lot of work, but it will be well worth it when I am finished.  Especially since this set will be very well cared for and enjoyed for many years and my niece and nephew really enjoy the game, as I am sure my children will as well when they are a bit older.

And for Starmada, I am acquiring a Minbari fleet from Babylon 5, and my brother is interested in gathering up some Star Blazers figures. 

However, someday, Uncharted Seas will make our list.

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2009, 07:23:51 PM »
so I take it that starmada is good system.
Got the rulebook but never got to play it.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 05:12:27 PM by masherking »

Offline Glenn M

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 12:38:12 PM »
Stamada is fun, but we use the alternate movement system, though unless you like to number crunch your own ships, grab some predone ones online.

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 06:35:39 PM »
SPACE FLEEEEEEEET!  Cheap (if you can find one), elegantly simple, yet divinely strategic and fun!  Easy to design ships for with other minis (SW or Silent Death).  If you get the games I can send you the support WD articles.  Love it

Offline Petru5

• Conn-Man Games blog
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2009, 08:42:56 PM »
After reading the rules, I bought a couple of Uncharted Seas fleets (Dragon Lords and Iron Dwarves).  I'm in the very slow process of painting them.  When I play the game, I'll let ya'll know how cool it is.
-Private Hudson

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2009, 12:00:23 PM »
finally played it.
not bad
not bad at all.

got me nice ork fleet......though the undead fleet calls to me.

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2009, 04:52:47 PM »
Bring to Dave's when you come down. We should all try it.
Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.