Author Topic: great article on the game-that-shall-not-be-named  (Read 16066 times)

Offline pinksuezo

REPORT HERESY. IT'S YOUR DUTY.

In Nomine Cardinalis

Offline T Prime

• Big Kahuna, Chairman of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Member Prime
Re: great article on the game-that-shall-not-be-named
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 07:25:55 AM »
ROTFLMAO!!! ;D ;D ;D

Someone feels very passionate about that game and its owners.

Thanks for sharing.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc
Excelsior!!

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 09:45:32 AM »
Blocked the office of course.   :P
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Petru5

• Keeping eastern KC an UWZ!!!
    • Conn-Man Games blog
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 10:18:22 AM »
Blocked the office of course.   :P

Ditto.  Danged schools and their filters!
"Game over, man! Game over!"
-Private Hudson

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 10:39:12 AM »
Freakin' blocked. Hope there is the "other" and "adult" content with this article.
Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 11:16:43 AM »
Yep
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y

Offline Von Koss

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 03:08:18 PM »
 :-\
For some reason I feel compelled to defend this game because...well...this article is kinda tacky-   humorous -  but seems a bit unfair.  I whole heartedly agree that the "Company that will not be named" deserves this cleverly put together attack for their greed, the game is not bad. 

Don't get me wrong, I've uttered a few choice words about their recent price hikes which in the past are normally followed up by some poor explanation of why they did what they did.  I don't know why but when I see lighting, thunder seems to follow which means things are going to get nasty.  The displacement of their followers by them may eventually lead to a downturn in the table top gaming world which to me would be nasty as I like to stay up to date about current events in this particular fantasy world.  If it fell by the wayside I would still follow as much as possible just as I have with Chronopia, but it would still be kinda disheartening. 

I think we all can agree that it will be interesting to see how things play out.  Just remember that when it comes to dealing with the "Company that will not be named"---You can't pick a turd up by the clean end.
Total models painted for the year 2011: 14

<The Goal: exceed 534 painted models in one year>
*End Date: Dec. 25th 2011*
2010- 294 (fail)

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 03:45:01 PM »
I like the site's advertisers...claaaaaaassy.

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 05:43:36 PM »
:-\
For some reason I feel compelled to defend this game because...well...this article is kinda tacky-   humorous -  but seems a bit unfair.  I whole heartedly agree that the "Company that will not be named" deserves this cleverly put together attack for their greed, the game is not bad. 

Don't get me wrong, I've uttered a few choice words about their recent price hikes which in the past are normally followed up by some poor explanation of why they did what they did.  I don't know why but when I see lighting, thunder seems to follow which means things are going to get nasty.  The displacement of their followers by them may eventually lead to a downturn in the table top gaming world which to me would be nasty as I like to stay up to date about current events in this particular fantasy world.  If it fell by the wayside I would still follow as much as possible just as I have with Chronopia, but it would still be kinda disheartening. 

I think we all can agree that it will be interesting to see how things play out.  Just remember that when it comes to dealing with the "Company that will not be named"---You can't pick a turd up by the clean end.

I agree (jess louis what am I saying) with you. It is a very lopsided article. I played ALOT of fantasy battle in the past. We had a great group that was very dedicated to the game and went to all the grand tourneys. We met almost every week to pratice/paint hang out. In a way it reminds me alot of the group we have here (Philly area). Dave and Dodger have met some of them during my annual gaming day in Dover DE. Fantasy battle wasn't the only thing we played, but we did put alot of time into it. It also introduced me to Warzone first edition.  ;D
It was evident that the most recent codex/army book they put out seemed to be "the" army to play if you wanted to win. It was very evident when you put in the amount of time gaming that our group did. Just looking at the tourney results would also prove this. Weird that when a new army was introduced/re-released, several new sculps would come out that you had to buy to play the army. Some may call this good business.
One of my personal experiences involves me at one of their stores. The game store we hung out at went under and we had a gaming club that met in a whole in the wall building. I went to a local "store that can't be named" and looked for metal skinky and sauries w/ hand weapons. They were in a box on the floor "on sale" since the new sculps were released. A full of p and vin salesman came over to see what army I played. While telling him that I am not interested in the newest releases they put out with their latest army they re-released he finally asked what army I played. I told him the "lizards". For the next several minutes he tried to hard sell the most expensive fig dowm from that line. It went like this - You have to have a stegathing, you really need it. I reply - I have 4 and 3 are painted. Oh. well you have to have a big fat toad magic user. I have 3 painted and one converted to a special character. Oh.. you really need a box set of riding cold thing. I have 3 full regiments 2 painted. Oh. you need on and on. I left with the metal figs I came for. Still have 3 full armies of them today. I haven't played in 16 years.
I like the game, the owners need a reality check. The article, while one sided, does have a lot of truths to it. If people don't buy new figs/books/paints etc., how is a company to stay afloat if the game is a one time purchase? Why does magic have new expansions? It is a damned if you do, damned if you don't issue.
My suggestion - redo the rules to have alternate activations and balance, embrace old figs while releasing new ones, try to expand the game to new players while keeping the older ones happy. If it was easy to do this, I would still be playing fantasy battle and edition 1 warzone.
I could not even imagine what it would take to run a gaming company in today's market. "the game not to be named" is still around. I am not sure how well it is doing. It is geting people passionate about the negative aspects it posseses. I don't see alot of positive articles about it.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 05:48:14 PM by luckyone »
The entire Capitol Army.

Offline wmeredith

• Ebay sig. 9390william.
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 08:11:58 PM »
Hello

Love the article, very funny. Sorry Lucky1 as long as the great evils that is, is a Publicly traded company with a board of bean counters none of what you said will happen. Shame too.

wmeredith
Wise men say absolute power corrupts absolutely I am not a wise man.

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 06:53:35 AM »
Um, I started to explore the rest of the site and, having done some comedy myself (beyond the scope of the board here even) they smack on everyone, but the do so in the most offensive, bigoted and racist manner possibly.  I'm not a professional offense-monger but the definitely go a bit too far.  On the other hand, the do it to everyone so I guess that's only fair.  Or something.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 09:20:52 AM »
Um, I started to explore the rest of the site and, having done some comedy myself (beyond the scope of the board here even) they smack on everyone, but the do so in the most offensive, bigoted and racist manner possibly.  I'm not a professional offense-monger but the definitely go a bit too far.  On the other hand, the do it to everyone so I guess that's only fair.  Or something.

I guess you really can't be offensive, bigoted and racist if you hate everyone equally now could you? At least by definition in respect to comparison.

I have to explore the site more. A pair or two of things look very interesting.  :o :o :o

The entire Capitol Army.

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 10:03:31 AM »
I'm with Veez... there is some funny stuff there but far too much of it is over the top.
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2009, 10:36:22 AM »
It was funny for a minute but I got bored and stopped reading at that point. 

Ah the rough and tumble world of miniatures and gaming.

WTF am I getting into????
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Nighthawk

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2009, 12:46:14 PM »
I think that site is more a "twilight zone" for wikipedia. There are many subjects that's gotten the same treatments, kind of. Supposed to be over the top or something, but the humour can be very hurtful for many people. I think this article is meant more for miniature gaming in general as well. And I'd guess they just picked the game they had heard of. I don't mind humour on the expense of miniature gamers like myself, but in the end I felt the article was too hateful.

Oh well, whatever.