Author Topic: Army versus Navy Classic on May 16 Gaming Night at Daves  (Read 13579 times)

Offline jjdodger

• Board Member
Re: Army versus Navy Classic on May 16 Gaming Night at Daves
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2009, 07:48:45 AM »
we shoulda gotten a pic of that... that was frikkin awesome!

Offline T Prime

• Big Kahuna, Chairman of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Member Prime
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2009, 07:49:46 AM »
It's also worth noting that Dodge does own the proper model.  This was a tactic of Dodges to throw me off my game.  He didn't even paint it (not that that would have helped it).
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc
Excelsior!!

Offline T Prime

• Administrator
  • Member Prime
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2009, 07:50:48 AM »
we shoulda gotten a pic of that... that was frikkin awesome!
true
Excelsior!!

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2009, 08:39:48 AM »
I will bring all the Capital I have. It should be enough for more than 2 people to field an Army and Navy force.

I think the main question during this battle will be not if artillery fire missions will occur, it will be how much artillery will be in the air at what time - and where does it land.

Big sky, little bullet theory in effect.

Red leg 6, red leg 6 this is OP 3 over.
OP 3 this is red leg 6 go ahead.
Red leg 6, fire for effect grid 345678 over.
Fire for effect grid 345678 out.
Capital Navy Assault Marine Squad in the open, HE and White Phosphorous in effect over.
HE and WP in effect out.

Shake and Bake BABY!!!

Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.

Offline T Prime

• Administrator
  • Member Prime
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2009, 08:45:04 AM »
lol :D
Excelsior!!

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2009, 08:51:53 AM »
I know we have a lot of time before the Capital throw down. Some questions to think about:

Do we want a 2k versus 2k battle with members on each side controlling their respective armies?

Or do we want 1k + 1K versus 1k + 1k? This would allow individual control over your army but would limit the army building possibilities.

If it is 2k versus 2k maybe one person to handle individual squads, one to handle the officers and one to control the vehicles.

Any thoughts?

The entire Capitol Army.

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2009, 09:34:19 AM »
I know we have a lot of time before the Capital throw down. Some questions to think about:

Do we want a 2k versus 2k battle with members on each side controlling their respective armies?

Or do we want 1k + 1K versus 1k + 1k? This would allow individual control over your army but would limit the army building possibilities.

If it is 2k versus 2k maybe one person to handle individual squads, one to handle the officers and one to control the vehicles.

Any thoughts?

Could go either way.  I have preference in two 1k forces working together unless the 2k is fairly homogeneous.  I've no issue with loaning figs for use if I cannot be there.
John, i may have those 2 rangers.. i need to check. which models specifially? They arent painted, however.. 

As to my cap navy.. i did some number crunching, and i can pull off at least 2k in points, probably closer to 3 if needed. And, alot of them have either midnight black covert op camo or stainless steel armor.  ;D

Jeff.... if you can get them to me, I can get them painted up.  No unit in my armies goes into combat without proper attire.  They preform better that way. ;)

John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2009, 10:38:29 AM »
That's nice of you John.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2009, 10:41:37 AM »
That's nice of you John.

All they are doing up here is gathering dust man as getting anyone out this way is like pulling teeth.
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2009, 10:51:46 AM »
I resemble that remark! ;)
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2009, 03:09:11 PM »

Any thoughts?

Might I suggest the following?

Choose a commander to design each army for their respective side.  Design the army in such a way as to allow for at least three sub-commanders.  Then, on 16 May 2009 (hereafter, LBDBBTM-day), the Commander will direct his sub-commanders throughout the battle, giving orders to them to complete as they see fit, each activation.  Once the order is given, it is carried out.  The Commander may not interrupt the activation.  However, between turns, he may berate/praise/demote in order to get better play from his subs.  I think this would be kind of cool.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 03:10:48 PM by dmcgee1 »
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2009, 03:31:32 PM »
[Might I suggest the following?

Choose a commander to design each army for their respective side.  Design the army in such a way as to allow for at least three sub-commanders.  Then, on 16 May 2009 (hereafter, LBDBBTM-day), the Commander will direct his sub-commanders throughout the battle, giving orders to them to complete as they see fit, each activation.  Once the order is given, it is carried out.  The Commander may not interrupt the activation.  However, between turns, he may berate/praise/demote in order to get better play from his subs.  I think this would be kind of cool.

Interesting.

So who designs the armies?
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Tradition."

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2009, 05:21:08 PM »
I defer to Dodger.

Or at least nominate him first.

Thom would be a great choice also. From what I understand he knows at least the basics of the game- just kidding.

I have had my fair share of commanding men in battle. Getting hit with a wayward d20 is better than the AK-47 IMHO.
The entire Capitol Army.

Offline jjdodger

• Board Member
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2009, 06:35:36 AM »
I think we need to nominate generals, then pick teams, before designing armys.

My suggestion on the armys would be, 1 Force Commander, and then 1 divisional commander per player after general. General plays Force Commander, and the players are the divisional commanders. Depending on the number of players, presuming 2-3 per side, how about 1k per player, and the force commander doesnt count towards points, with each players army having to follow standard building rules for everything but off-board? Still need F.O.'s, but, the upper chain is already there. Option "B" would be to still require 3 officers in the sub-group, but use the sides FC. What i like is, its as if the FC tells the divisions what to do, and leaves it to the divisions to figure it out. If for some reason the FC is killed, either the highest LD Divisional commander takes over, or, if tied, roll off for new leader.

Thoughts/Ideas/Suggestions?

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2009, 07:53:46 AM »
Option 2 only have an established chain of command pre-determined in the force lists (just like real life).  Each leader is named to give it flavor.  Each turn, the overall commander, who would have a small (say 300-400pt ) command pool to include his cost and the cost of his "staff"-a squad type of his choosing that he leads.  He does not gain from any special abilities the squad has (i.e. infiltrate) and it must remain with him (or vice versa). 

At the beginning of each turn, he has 30 seconds to give his intent to each commander and then they are not allowed to communicate to him or each other to simulate the fog of war once things have gotten going.  The 2-3 independent armies play their turns simultaneously but can only interact with an enemy they are not paired up with directly if the come within 24 inches or are the only unit in sight; this simulates each sub army having its own area of responsibility.  The command teams can engage any enemy within range.  All turns must start simultaneously to keep the game synchronized and will only end when all units of all players have completed their actions.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!