Author Topic: How big is Warzone on the east coast?  (Read 6303 times)

Offline LAWwaldo

How big is Warzone on the east coast?
« on: January 15, 2006, 05:02:40 PM »
  Being from California, I get all my Warzone stuff at the online store and the only time I ever got to play in a tournament was when Wedge ran one at Gencon.  Everytime I play the game at a gamestore with a buddy people always ask, what the heck is that?  Same with everybody I talk to, nobody knows about it.  So on the East coast, where you guys have at least a few stores, do you see new people playing it?  Or is it just all your friends?  This is just a question out of curiosity because I wonder if the game is growing at all, and if so, by how much?
"Life is tough; it's even tougher when your stupid." - John Wayne

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
  • Your Benevolent Dictator
Re: How big is Warzone on the east coast?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006, 05:22:42 PM »
Well, Masherking and I got Iron Panda into it...
I'm sure we can get a few more people as time goes on.
"You were engineered with such potential, Serpentor. But you lack the most important DNA of all... Mine!"
Homebase: Northern New Jersey
Ebay: Mokodoba

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2006, 06:02:27 PM »
We have a regular group of 6 that play, and we are trying to generate interest.  Unfortunately, a major gaming store closed (Rogue's Den) and most of us have lives outside of UWZ (gasp!).

Seriously, though, I am confident that the game continues to build interest due to the caliber of players - their sportsmanship, love of the game, and the fact that they are all-round great people (of course, I am including the Maplewood folks).

If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Sylvas

• Midwest Crusader
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2006, 06:58:35 PM »
I live in Cleveland, Oh, and up here there is a pretty loyal group of 7 or so players, including Stalker here on the forums, his brother, and we have brought couple of new players in over the last few months as well.

Our biggest obstacle up here is some of the local stores either refuse to carry the game, or allow us to play at their stores, but will not carry it unless we can guarantee a certain amount of sales per month, which is something that we cannot guarantee at all.

Back in my home state (Texas), the same thing occurs as well.  I think that the game is big in some areas of the state, but there isn't a large, grassroots following down there yet.

I agree with dmcgee1, that the game will grow as people see the level of sportmanship and camaraderie amongst the players.  I have the luxury here in Ohio of being less than 2 hours from one of the major game cons in the country (Origins), and less than 5 hours from another (GenCon Indy).  I can't count the number of times that I have seen fistfights break out during some of the other game's tournaments (anyone that was at Origins 2 years ago might remember that one).  It was reasons like that that I stopped playing some of those games in favor of something that, while not as popular right now, has a more friendly environment. 

That isn't saying that there isn't anyone that plays Warzone that isn't a major pain (I played a game at Origins 2 years ago in which someone was thrown out of the game for being a real pain in the rear), but they are very much in the minority.

I think that you are doing the right thing, playing at a local store, and talking up the game to whoever asks about it.  It's doing little things like that that will get the game to grow.

B.
okay...that was a little long-winded...
eBay name: sylvas1970

Offline NinjaCat

• Journeyman
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2006, 12:27:48 PM »
I am relatively new to Warzone, but I can certainly tell you that it seems to attract attention.

I am one that meets with dmcgee1, jjdodjer, and others.  There were always people watching in stores.  However, since there is currently no store that we are meeting in regularly, we have met in my basement a few times.  It becomes all day gaming, with no closing time.  It is really a blast!!  dmcgee1 left a whole mess of terrain with us so now the basement is mostly for gaming.  (and laundry)

So, ever since I have been playing in the house, people who see it are rather curious.  They want to know how you play, and what the pieces look like.  That's when I gently slap the rule book in their face, and say, "take a look!" (starting with the colored pages)

My sister played a game, my sister-in-laws boyfriend is interested in playing.  I can probably get my brother to play soon too.  It is the fun surrounding the game that really makes it worth it to me.  I like to win, but if I am having more fun while I lose (which is often), that's just fine.  (Anyone who wants to beat the snot out of my 1000pt. "mostly Ducal Militia army" may do so at any time, I'll still enjoy it!)

Oh... and although I have never met them...  Those Maplewood people do seem pretty cool!!

-NinjaCat
Please insert *Obscure Movie Quote* or *Witty Gamer Lingo* here: ________________________________________________!

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
  • THE ALLATLOH of ROCK n' ROLLA
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2006, 02:39:03 PM »
Oh... and although I have never met them...  Those Maplewood people do seem pretty cool!!

-NinjaCat

The coolest Daddy-O  8)

but to answer the question.
Based on the local cons I go to. I say there's a heathy amount of people who make it a point to show up and play. and last few years I keep seeing new faces. also in the last few years we had more people then 40k crowd at the con which in New Jeresy is no small feat.

The game is growing mostly though fans just playing the game.
I'll be honest at maplewood it was just me and sam that mainly played for year or 2 (or 3) and it was mostly chronopia. When sam left for school I thought I was screwed to find players. But then Jibba showed up, we start posting battle reports which got us Iron panda and when Serge saw a small group having warzone fun he dusted off his old minis and had to join in. Now I get e-mails from people who say after they arrange some free days want to come down and play ;D

The short of it . If you can find at least one other person keep playing the game. It will draw people in (sometimes it might take awhile). 
Goddamn! its good to be the MasherKing.
home: New Jersey
E-bay: Johny_wonderful

Offline LAWwaldo

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 07:02:03 PM »
  Well good, that was motivating.  Last year I left for Australia I was the real driving force behind Warzone in our gaming group and since nobody took the reins while I was gone, everyone stopped playing and got into Warmachine (and not back into 40k thank God).  I'm hoping to get them back into the swing of things but really, I find it kinda impossible to spread the game beyond those who use to play, especially when you can't buy it at a gamestore or send them to a fancy webpage (no offense, but I think people know what I'm talking about when you compare it to PP and GW).  But hey, I can only hope it spread more, or if all else fails I'm just gonna go to Law School on the East Coast so I can get my Warzone fix when needed  ;D
"Life is tough; it's even tougher when your stupid." - John Wayne

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
  • Your Benevolent Dictator
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2006, 07:55:25 PM »

-NinjaCat

Awww shucks...  :-[
"You were engineered with such potential, Serpentor. But you lack the most important DNA of all... Mine!"
Homebase: Northern New Jersey
Ebay: Mokodoba

Offline NinjaCat

• Journeyman
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2006, 09:03:54 PM »

-NinjaCat

Awww shucks...  :-[

I have been reading the extensive "Maplewood Warzone Saga" on a regular basis.  It's full of UWZ goodness!  ;D
Please insert *Obscure Movie Quote* or *Witty Gamer Lingo* here: ________________________________________________!

Iron Panda

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2006, 06:05:23 PM »

-NinjaCat

Seriously, though, I am confident that the game continues to build interest due to the caliber of players - their sportsmanship, love of the game, and the fact that they are all-round great people (of course, I am including the Maplewood folks).

That's so swee....errr...

Cool, man.

A couple years back, a bunch of us were into Chronopia and when Warzone was published, planned to have a Warzone campaign.  Unfortunately, we've pretty much moved on and I was really bummed out.  The game was fun and more tactical than any games out there and the fluff was awesome.  It was hard to let go of the hobby but with the scarcity of players, I simply gave up gaming.

Then I saw the forum and was really amazed that there are Warzone players in NJ having a blast.  I dropped by and really liked what I saw.  Masher, Jibba and Serge are good, decent guys who really are into the game.  After a couple of games, I'm hooked not just by Warzone but by the enthusiasm and camaraderie among players.

Offline Spagg

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2006, 12:15:06 PM »
The gaming group I play with here in Louisville Ky consists of  6 people (though we very rarely have all 6 show up every week). The game is solid and once I have more time I plan on trying to get to some of the hobby stores here locally to show more people both Chronopia and UWZ.

Offline Stalker

• FAQ Team
  • Mid-west Crusader / FAQ team member
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2006, 11:57:46 PM »
The gaming group I play with here in Louisville Ky consists of  6 people (though we very rarely have all 6 show up every week). The game is solid and once I have more time I plan on trying to get to some of the hobby stores here locally to show more people both Chronopia and UWZ.

Drop me a line when you start going mobile.  If I'm able, I'll come  down from Cleveland to lend a hand.
If you shoot for the moon and miss, you are still among the stars.