Author Topic: Chronomancer.  (Read 13657 times)

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
Chronomancer.
« on: April 06, 2009, 10:36:57 AM »
Well, after shelling out the money to get the Firstborn painted, I'm starting to play them more and more.  I wonder how many of you have suggestions and insight in the Chronomancer.

First question is about the Time Stop spell.  I don't have my book at the office, but I found the phrasing not making sense.  It's probably overthinking it.  Can someone give me an example where the Chronomancer casts the spell successfully on the first try, and then break down the actions after that?  I'm wondering how it would work if it could allow him to charge some models while they're frozen.

Interupt.  Wow, how cool is that?  It's great to be able to do this, and I'm learning the hard way.

I have learned that this caster is best deployed with a squad and perhaps a bodyguard.  I learned the hard way that just accelerating squads from a distance is not using him to best effect.  He really is a very different caster than a Lotus Eater.

Any help appreciated.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
Re: Chronomancer.
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 12:27:50 PM »
First thing to knoww when facing me in battle is that Blackbloods are immune to Chrono-magic  ::)  ;D
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 02:34:34 PM »
First thing to knoww when facing me in battle is that Blackbloods are immune to Chrono-magic  ::)  ;D

Top, April Fools was 5 days ago....

Josh, take a good read over the spells and then a good look over your usual suspects for troop choices.  See what compliments them and give it a go.  I'm no expert with teh First Born but I manage... and that is generally the way to go.
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 08:02:58 AM »
Well John, you know I have the brain activivty of David Crosby.  I have to remember it's not the Brotherhood first!!  I don't know how many game systems I can retain in my brain.  sigh.

Offline Melanieshaman

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 02:15:32 PM »
Well John, you know I have the brain activivty of David Crosby.  I have to remember it's not the Brotherhood first!!  I don't know how many game systems I can retain in my brain.  sigh.

LOL it's ALL about the Brotherhood! lol  Actually Firstborn (and SoK) are the armies i played in Chronopia (many moons ago) and ya for Chronomancers i usually build my army first and selcted his spells after the fact to see what would work with what i had planned.  Ya know... thay needed to make a female Chronomancer :P (Thinks of Inquisitor Mel) heh heh heh

Actually Judge Mel would be more fun and more my style :D I love me the Judge

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 07:07:58 AM »

LOL it's ALL about the Brotherhood! lol  Actually Firstborn (and SoK) are the armies i played in Chronopia (many moons ago) and ya for Chronomancers i usually build my army first and selcted his spells after the fact to see what would work with what i had planned.  Ya know... thay needed to make a female Chronomancer :P (Thinks of Inquisitor Mel) heh heh heh

Why am I not surprised.

I need to go looking for some good figs for conversions and I'll see if I can't come up with one.  Sorcha already works for Inquisitor Mel.... perhaps there is a Warmachine fig that will work for Judge Mel too- perhaps with a weapon swap
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 07:10:14 AM »

Josh you will be fine...  just sublet your brain for each system in turn and keep the others in the cold storage area of your cranium.  I have at least eight or nine running through my head at any one time with another dozen stored elsewhere... and some of those games no longer exist/aren't played anymore.
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Tradition."

Offline Melanieshaman

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 07:54:58 AM »

Why am I not surprised.

I need to go looking for some good figs for conversions and I'll see if I can't come up with one.  Sorcha already works for Inquisitor Mel.... perhaps there is a Warmachine fig that will work for Judge Mel too- perhaps with a weapon swap

Ya know i'll paint TOP dollar for those (if you're willing to sell) :D

*Waves a cookie at Archer*

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 08:16:01 AM »
Mel did you see all the Brotherhood for sale in the thread from Mark Theurer??

Offline Melanieshaman

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 08:24:59 AM »
Mel did you see all the Brotherhood for sale in the thread from Mark Theurer??

ooh no i didn't i should check that out, thanks for the heads up :)

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 09:04:21 AM »

Ya know i'll paint TOP dollar for those (if you're willing to sell) :D

*Waves a cookie at Archer*

No promises.  Send me a paint scheme and I'll try to find *something*
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Tradition."

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2009, 02:25:54 AM »
Daniera Madise, Cleric of Morrow might work as a judge if you give her an axe. Paint her up in more sinister colours and voila!
http://www.privateerpress.com/ironkingdoms/default.php?x=miniatures

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2009, 04:36:38 PM »
Those are some great figs!
Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.

Offline troy-the-just

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2009, 03:26:11 PM »
ok timestop is successfully cast, 2 actions, all other units are frozen, you have 2 more actions to cast spells, attack, or do whatever you want.  at the immediate end of those 2 actions, you have 4 more, and you can do anything you want/are able to do, but you CANNOT case any spells cast in your first set of actions, like timestop.  so

if someone was close to attacking you, you cast timestop, than you can do:  cast any other spell less than 2 actions, or just attack twice, at the end of that turn, you can cast any spell, or attack or any combination thereof

a great spell, but it is limited, thank god as i do  not play the firstborn.  it really is a very chronomancer centric spell as it only helps you out

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2009, 12:01:18 PM »
One more thing to clean up.  The wording says that this does not give the Chronomancer an addtional turn.  Now that I think about it, it just means six actions if successfully cast, and everyone is frozen in time. 

Thanks.