Author Topic: Forward/Backward  (Read 10185 times)

Offline chribu

• Keeping track of all the answers
Forward/Backward
« on: January 13, 2006, 11:42:24 AM »
Sorry for the silly question, but:
Can models (esp. vehicles) move backwards?
(I've tried searching the forum, but no previous thread)

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
Re: Forward/Backward
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 12:01:58 PM »
Yes they can.
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline chribu

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 12:23:07 PM »
found on manual where it says (implicitly) that vehicles have reverse.
What about mortal models? And no MV penalty for any unit?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 02:48:23 PM by chribu »

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 03:14:41 PM »
Mortal models may have any facing they choose after a Move action.  SO techincally they have a revers only by virtue of being able to face back the way they came when they are done moving.

-PFC joe
Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum

Offline chribu

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2006, 03:28:13 PM »
right! silly me, should have thought of that :'(
that's me being really new to this game...

Offline Sylvas

• Midwest Crusader
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2006, 06:47:18 PM »
hey...in some games, there is a penalty for foot soldiers moving backwards...I guess that these games have never heard the military term "Tactical Withdrawal)...

B.
eBay name: sylvas1970

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2006, 08:51:17 PM »
The fact that vehicles can reverse with no penalty make turning radii completely nearly moot.  Especially for walkers, there should be some sort of penalty.

Non-vehicular models may turn as many times as deemed necessary for no MV penalty.  Effectively, this gives these models the manueverability that a foot soldier deserves.

Vehicles are limited to one turn per AC.  I have seen this abused.  I have seen models moved "sideways" (side-step, etc.).  This is illegal.

There should be a limiting factor for reversing.  Half MV seems fair, to me.  This would limit the Richard-dancing, and make those who would bring vehicles onto the board be more tactful with them.  As it stands, now, vehicles are not (from my experience) held to their limits.

If an EDD had to turn 180­° in order to move back out of LOS, this would make the player have to play it more carefully.  Instead, the player moves the EDD forward, maybe having to change facing a little to get within the arc of fire for its weapon, fire three times, then walk backwards just as fast as if it were moving forward, never exposing its rear facing.

I may be spouting out some of my own frustrations, but, does this sound right to anyone else?  I do use vehicles (like the strike skimmer) and have always tried to manuever it within the rules, and have taken advantage of the same rules with which I am in disagreement.  I would, still, like to see some type of reverse MV penalty.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline PhillySniper

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2006, 10:14:50 PM »

There should be a limiting factor for reversing.  Half MV seems fair, to me.  This would limit the Richard-dancing, and make those who would bring vehicles onto the board be more tactful with them.  As it stands, now, vehicles are not (from my experience) held to their limits.

If an EDD had to turn 180­° in order to move back out of LOS, this would make the player have to play it more carefully.  Instead, the player moves the EDD forward, maybe having to change facing a little to get within the arc of fire for its weapon, fire three times, then walk backwards just as fast as if it were moving forward, never exposing its rear facing.

I have to agree with you there. Vehicles are formidable weapons. I never understood how a vehicle can only turn once per action but can reverse to its origional position during its third action. It might seem to be semantics but if the EDD is forced to turn around to go into hiding he leaves his rear exposed for a possible AV shot< which does more damage to the rear quadrant if I am correct>.

Philly
Shoot First and ask questions later.

Homebase- Philadelphia
Ebay name. Phillychocolatem

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2006, 05:32:30 AM »
I agree with the need for a movement limiting mechanic and I would hope to see it incorporated into a future expansion.

-PFC joe
Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum

Offline chribu

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2006, 05:54:09 AM »
i agree it would make more sense

Offline Ruther

• Warzone Deutschland
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2006, 06:50:12 AM »
Dunno how you play it but i play backwards movement beeing halfed since the early battletech days ::)

No clue how the current ruleset would be able to be interpreted the moving full speed backwards way. Sometimes a healthy imagination and common sense helps  ;).

ironie on
Its  abit like: Coz its not in the rules that vehicles move backwards at halfspeed (logical solution) i just assume they would move normal or why not even double speed (fancy solution wich makes my vehicles way stronger and isnt that what we all want  :P ).
ironie off

No offence, but sometimes the ruleinterpretaions get really funny  here  ;D

He Who Laughs Last, Thinks Fastest

Offline Sylvas

• Midwest Crusader
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2006, 04:11:51 PM »
don't the rules limit a vehicle to 1 90-degree turn per action?

I agree as well that there should be a limit to movement in complete reverse.  I think tht this could lead to some interesting new abilities for vehicles...for example, an EDD could be immune to a rule like this due to it's AI rating (the assumption that the EDD could change cameras)...

I don't think that walkers should be affected that much, but that wheeled vehicles, tracked vehicles (are there any of these left?) should be severely limited (half movement?), and skimmers/flyers should be unable to do this at all (imagine a Purple Shark flying in full reverse)...

B.
eBay name: sylvas1970

Offline Stalker

• FAQ Team
  • Mid-west Crusader / FAQ team member
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2006, 12:05:56 AM »
I kind of like the way this was handled in 2nd Ed.  You had to spend a driver action to switch gears in order to go in reverse.  It seems simple and logical to me however, it does add one more token or some bookkeeping to keep track of it.
If you shoot for the moon and miss, you are still among the stars.

Offline wokrze

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2006, 04:19:13 AM »
In order to stop some "strange manouvers" (those "overpowering" vehicles :) ) we localy introduced some limitations on vehicle movement:
- vehicles may move backward at half MV
- they cannot move forward and backward in the same action
- one turn per movement action (as per book)
- vehicles shoot at the end of their movement (both single and multi crew)

With these limitations it is still possible to use fire&hide tactics (ex. Purple Shark hiding behind building and moving only to kill some targets and hide again) but it reduces effective number of actions when firing is possible.

Offline chribu

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2006, 11:32:18 AM »
we localy introduced some limitations on vehicle movement:
- one turn per movement action (as per book)
- vehicles shoot at the end of their movement (both single and multi crew)
so normally
you CAN shoot during movement (not only at the end of movement)?
you can turn more thane once per movement action?