Author Topic: Dark Legion Rumblefest - Which Faction Rules???!!  (Read 5637 times)

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
Dark Legion Rumblefest - Which Faction Rules???!!
« on: February 10, 2009, 05:22:25 PM »
Kinda slow around here UWZ-wise - so I thought I'd posit this bit of food for corrupted thought--

I have slowly been painting each of my DL armies for some serious Nepharite on Nepharite action.  But before the dice start clackety-clacking - I thought I'd ask the forum - which DL army they've liked most, found deadly, found funny, etc.

My personal favorite so far seems to be Illian, but as I get my Muawjihe force further and further along I maybe changing flavuhs. 

IMNSHFO, Algeroth lacks finesse to me, Demonogonis I like but haven't been able to get my hands of Blight Commando proxies I like.  And lastly, Semai, are they more then just a bunch of guys good at sneakin' (SNEAKIN'!)?

D

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
Re: Dark Legion Rumblefest - Which Faction Rules???!!
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 05:45:57 PM »
AWESOME TOPIC!

I am going to consider my answer carefully, though I lean, currently, toward Illian.

I like the Nepharites and Wheeled Templars, plus Karak is a beast!  I have, personally, decimated squads with the Cthonic Transfuser, one while using my own model to start the chain reaction - IT WAS BEAUTIFUL, MAN!

As I stated, I will consider my answer, and get back to you on this one.

P.S.:
sneakin' (SNEAKIN'!)?

Absolutely one of my favorite quotes of all time.  Gollum's indignation was just as beautifully executed in the animated movie as it was in the live-action tale.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 05:49:52 PM by dmcgee1 »
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 06:08:24 PM »
Yes Ol' Ralph did manage to capture that moment in a way that had me laughing all through my adolescence.

AFA - The transfuser - Well it was just used against me recently (se my datafeed battle report) and I still loved it!  My reaver died, exploded and took 2 more with him.  We are cracking up (though I'm sure his mommy, the computer that assembled the reaver, was deeply saddened and spent the whole day running bootsector checks).

Also, on that note, I hope that in this discussion folks will not only consider pure tabletop power as a criteria, but flavor as well.

Offline Nighthawk

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 06:23:57 PM »
I know they ain't anything special, just a bunch of humies in cloaks (with a few exceptions), but I really like the Cults. It's kind of the "recruitment area" for DL. It's just something about those fanatics that's intriguing. They fit really well with the Cathedral (from the campaign pack) IMO.

Though after that I have a "soft spot" for Ilian. Why? Bunch of kids running around with sword wielding knight templars charging forward. Helms! What's not to like?

And I love to hate Demnogonis and Muawijhe. But thankfully my friend loves that sick twisted stuff so I get to face them on the battlefield.

Offline wmeredith

• Ebay sig. 9390william.
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 07:08:40 PM »
Hello

While I want to sample all the dark evil of the dark soul, the Dark Legion Horde is my favorite. Decent enough grunts with the undead legionnaires and necromutants, good elites in cursed legionnaires and paradropable praetorian stalkers. Add Valpurgius and a Behemoth and the fun just amps up. I have taken out whole squads with Valpurgius  raining down Apocalypse.

wmeredith
Wise men say absolute power corrupts absolutely I am not a wise man.

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 07:15:24 PM »
Muawjihe-wise I just finished painting up my Karnos (can you say twenty slavering tongues of joy), and am in process of doing the same to my Zen-Slayers...can't wait to LEAP into the fray with them!  I'm curious to see how they do against my buddy's Semai infiltration army.

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 09:01:17 PM »
Sardonicus frowned. Someone dared to mock the Dark Master. Obviously it was done from ignorance. Anyone who followed the Dark Lords knew that only one of them had a plan. Algeroth could not act - His only ability was reaction. Like all combat oriented animals he knew only kill or be killed, no guile, no finesse. The Lords of Sickness and Madness were little better than the vermin they led. Crazed and diseased they shambled thru life intent only on sharing the limitations they found themselves subjected to - they were hardly worthy of the title of Dark Lords. Ilian, Mistress of Magic.....please. Simple slight of hand and misdirection and everyone thinks she has tapped into the Dark Soul. The newest Acolytes of the Dark Master could perform the same tricks, usually faster and with fewer miscues. Only Semai understood the truth of the Dark Soul. The true destruction of humanity was not in the killing of the chattel, nor in enslaving them. No the true essence of the Dark Soul was in turning them against their own. Humanity could only be eradicated from the universe by turning the humans against humanity itself. Which faction rules, indeed! There was only one faction - the others were merely tools of the Grand Deception. Sardonicus noted the name of the one who dared mock the Dark Master. In time the one known as WarzoneD would know the Dark Truth and Sardonicus would enjoy helping teach this truth. Finally Sardonicus smiled - a new project to combat the boredom.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 09:03:25 PM by Topkick »
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 07:35:15 AM »
Ye know...

I see a way to solve this.

1 Nepharite, kitted appropriately.
150-175 points of Apostle troops.

five start points.
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 08:49:29 AM »
Major Anderson looked up from his desk; his most recent project had his attention focused; this distraction was unwelcome.  Somewhere, he felt a strange tugging on the black strings that held his soul, as if his myriad of masters quietly tugged to see to whom his loyalty lay.  Ilian was a nuisance; her forces had little real appeal to him other than another "contract".  Same with the apostle of disease and even more so to madness; he had as little truck with these apostles as possible.  The cults, like himself, served each master so he could hardly consider them a faction; they were more utility.  It would have to be Semai or Algeroth.  Semai was the darkness that infected from within which appealed to Anderson's cunning nature but Algeroth, simply put, had all the best toys and appealed to his simple blood thirst.  But with whom would he side if it came down to it?  It was good he did not have to decide now...
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Wedge

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 10:50:24 AM »
Nicely done TK.  Semai is my favorite faction and the game table has seen many more victories than losses when I played them.  I do have to give a shout out to the horde though since my favorite army is a Semai/Horde mix.  All the rest are pretenders and well planted distractions by the Lords of Deceit and Duplicity!

Offline pinksuezo

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 02:07:59 PM »
ilian may be cool like a sleek bmw, but horde has the classic feel of a 1979 firebird.... so i like horde better.

individual-wise, though, nepharites of algeroth are probably my favorite dl unit.
REPORT HERESY. IT'S YOUR DUTY.

In Nomine Cardinalis

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 02:26:48 PM »
WarzoneD felt a shiver run down his spine, he knew full well the dark lords had unleashed their ire upon him for daring stirring their ancient hatreds, but this was no shiver of fear, nor was it one of dread, it was in fact, the delightful shudder of anticpation, the fire of battle-hunger coursing through his blood...the ectsasy of conflict.  There was no rush like it in the know universe, there was no  drug among the corps that could reproduce it's divine rapture.  WarzoneD was parched, desperate to drink in the elixir of victory, and only the intoxicating fumes of war good slake his thrist

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2009, 04:16:22 PM »
...(can you say twenty slavering tongues of joy)...

Disgusting and intriguing at the same time - well done!  ;D
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2009, 03:23:55 PM »
Yes, Muawjihe grows on me by the day, maybe it's the voices in my head telling me to give into the madness of their might...or maybe it's from watching too many Terry Gilliam movies.