Author Topic: Crystals  (Read 7971 times)

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
Crystals
« on: February 12, 2009, 07:19:46 PM »
These were done using the resin copy option;  Learned a few hard lessons this way. 
1) Use more catalyst.
2) Use less ink for coloring.
3) If you don't do #1 and #2 you can cure it in the oven (350 degrees for about 10-20 min).
4) If you cure them in the oven, make sure the house is well ventillated.
5) Ultimately they will need to be mounted on some sort of base.

VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
Re: Crystals
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 08:02:38 PM »
It wold be neat to have a whole board of different sizes and colors of crystals.
Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 04:34:52 AM »
I plan on doing a few more in different colors-sizes I'm limited by the moulds.  I'm on the fence with how these compare to Glenn M's-I really like how he painted his up.  I imagine his were much less frustrating to put together as well (the clear type of resin is less user-friendly that the white version).  If I had to, I could always use plaster in the moulds and pattern after what he has done.

My next step is to figure out what color to do; a yellower green or maybe a blue or red.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Petru5

• Keeping eastern KC an UWZ!!!
    • Conn-Man Games blog
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 06:23:16 AM »
Well, you got the best color out of the way first.  Yes, I play 'green' when I game.  I like the idea of a yellow-green, especially if you can striate the colors.  If you went with red, then you'd have a Christmas table.  Blue, particularly an electric blue, would look gorgeous.
"Game over, man! Game over!"
-Private Hudson

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 09:38:55 AM »
Cool.  I'd like to see them on a gaming table.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 11:16:51 AM »
That can be arranged.

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 12:36:13 PM »
 Looking good Veez.They will come in handy for your Vor games too.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 01:22:31 PM »
Perhaps you could raise some capital by making some for forum members on a prepay basis....

I've made progress on finally getting some money for Topkick, so I thought I'd put that out there.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Glenn M

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 02:30:14 PM »
I like em, I wanted mine clear, but it ain't gonna happen as I am lazy as heck. 

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 12:49:13 PM »
Feeling weak.....ugh...feels like I've been exposed to kryptonite....Damn you Lex Luthor...Ooops

In my defense they looked real and I am a super-dude. It said so on the Valentine's card my Mommy gave me.  ;D
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2009, 05:07:10 PM »
@TK...very special! ;)

I used a (lousy but workable) mould making silicon that you paint on and painted it on some real quartz crystals I bought.  You then mix in clear resin, adding in a colorant (I originally used ink but paint works just fine-better in fact since it is dryer), add the catalyist and pour.  Once it is "solid" carefully transfer it to your oven and bake at about 375 for 15-30 min and let cool (preferrably in a cooler envronment like a fridge or my garage right now).

Make sure you do all this in a well ventellated area because it gives off some serious fumes.

As of today I have red, orange, green, blue, and white-it's translucent; I added some white paint as a dye to give it that clouded look that real quartz has; turned out okay.

That said, due to the fumes I think I'll give it a rest for a few days; I'm starting to feel woozy and I have jet packs to complete and mail out.

Offline Glenn M

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2009, 08:53:11 AM »
Veez actually works for MI6 as an expert craftsmen in Jet Packs.  He also does the Rocketeer when not busy.