Author Topic: 12/28/05 Battle report- Skull Extraction/Bug Invasion  (Read 7284 times)

Offline maverickman5

• I'm a Bad Man.
12/28/05 Battle report- Skull Extraction/Bug Invasion
« on: January 12, 2006, 11:56:02 AM »
This is a battle that was ran by CmdrKiley for Rorik36, Badger, MonteKev, me(Maverickman5), and some Noob.  It was a Search Mission that went wrong when Crescentians and SST Bugs arrived!  Reports By Badger, Maverickman5 and MonteKev.

Rorik36-Bauhaus/Romanov
MonteKev- Brotherhood
Noob- Cybertronic
Badger- Capitol/army
Me- Bauhaus/Bernheim

CmdrKiley- Scenario Master

The Following reports have been Conficated by the Cartel for further invetigation.

CAPITOL CAPITOL CAPITOL CAPITOL CAPITOL CAPITOL  CAPITOL CAPITOL CAPITOL CAPITOL CAPITOL CAPITOL CAPITOL CAPITOL CAPITOL CAPITOL[/u][/b][/color]

Major Maria Del Torres

Mission report Zeta 0-5-9

Intel on Mish to Dark Eden to investigate abandoned Cartel Base was Dead wrong. Base presumed over run by "Lord of the Flies, then abandoned due to distance from main base. Skull 3 of the 5 Skull presumed to be intact and abandoned in base.

We touched down at 1700 hours Lunar. Recon and Sat reported Cybertronic forces to our South. We move in to engae, noting to our West a recon force of Bahaus. As we move to engage the Cybertronic recon, a force from this "Lord" came in to play. As the Cybertronic moved into engagment we took up position to pick off the survivors. We heard a great deal of commotion off to the west by the bahaus. The Lord Must have sent in a few more troops to engage.

Cybertronic defeated the Lords forces with a little help from Capitol lead. Which quickly turned Cybertronic forces to cybernetic scrap without a casualty. As we moved into the base to see a Brotherhood force mopping up the rest of the Lords forces, we hear a sound much like Bacon sizzling coming from the north and south. We tracked where the sound was coming from and we saw the ground Boiling in a path coming twards us. Thinking.... Quickly...... Sergent Mathers sent a troublesome private Eckles out to investigate. (Something about knowing a lot about soil, or at least being knee deep in... well anyway.) Eckles ran out to investigate. Before he could determine what the sound was from, a remaining cybertronic soldier ran over to the mound boiling to our north.
A Huge Dung Beetle ( yes that is what i said) Rose from the earth and Shot a flame from it's mouth much akin to that of a Ghena Puker. The lone cybertronic soldier gave it's life helping us figure out what it was. Naturally our brave assault marines doubled it's weight in lead in the next few seconds. killing it. but not before it unleashed another gout of flame that took three of the brave soldiers to the cardinal's embrace. As it fell we hear a squak on the comm,"Evac Ship will be arriveing in 20 min."We turned to Eckles screaming to get away from that dirt pot, but it was too late. Aparently to preoccupied with showing his sergent his version of STOMP! He was directly above another of the Huge Beetles. nothing was left of the poor boy, but his sacrifice saved the lives of the rest of his squad. as it rose our heavy infantry cut loose destroying the thing.

After that ordeal we took stock, apperently one of the Brotherhood soldiers found the Skull. the marines and I took off to destroy them and claim the skull for ourselves. They must have called the evac when they found it. Past the Brother hood were even stranger bugs evidently built for killing. they seemed to be following a strange intelligence. Evidently this "Lord of the Flies" is controling them. We take off at a run determined to get the skull.

At this point I hear a buzzing much akin to an alarm clock, again coming from the south. It's like a bad monday morning in chicago, alarm clock, bacon sizzle and really big bugs. from the south come three flying insects. happily they attack the bahaus that are making for the skull.

as our forces run for the drop ship landing. we hear the tell tale sizzle of another bug tunnel attack. we are obviously being over run. At this point I make a tactical decision, do whatever we can to get that skull on the boat, no matter who has it, we need it in cartel hands. I relay these orders to the men. Our sniper, Stevens, takes off at a run right over top of one of the bugs. One heavy infantry squad moves to hold off the other bug hole. what remained of one heavy infantry squad, the assault marines and I move to reenforce the remaining Bahaus forces who are trying with all there might to hold the bugs from the landing zone. one soldier with a rocket launcher was doing an amazing job laying waste to the bugs at his end. While there mounted unit, led by Johann himself, desimated the bugs that came near them. we shot anything not nearby.

As we ran forward shooting any bugs we could lay eyes on. Stevens turns to face the Giant beetle that erupts behind him, I swear we must have landed on top of a nest of the darn things, two gouts of flame erupt from the beast and stevens still is standing, keeping the bugs attention from his retreating comrades. with a last ditch effort we clear the bugs from the drop ship and I board. over the comm I hear the heavy infantries death cry as they are torn apart by more bugs. and the assault capt. tells me to take off, him and the rest of the boys will cover us from there.

The Cartel ship not willing to wait for anyone else takes off at that point. the Bahaus took the skull to the cartel and only I made it back from Dark Eden, but I can say this, we kicked some ass.

Major Maria Del Torres

BAUHAUS-BERNHEIM BAUHAUS-BERNHEIM BAUHAUS-BERNHEIM BAUHAUS-BERNHEIM BAUHAUS-BERNHEIMBAUHAUS-BERNHEIM[/u][/b][/color]

Bauhaus: Bernheim
Incident and Conflict Report

Mission Number: 122805- Skull Artifact Retreival

Deployed Units: Ducal Militia SERT Team 5, Hussar Cavalary #11 (AKA: The Lounge Lizards)

Commander: Johan Emigholtz

Report Recieved by Long Range Radio Transmission

122805-
It's hard to think that just seven monthes ago I enlisted in the Militia, I had no clue to the terror that would soon change my life.

It all began with the rumor that floated across Fort Kiley about an upcoming chance for new recruits to become quickly promoted. All you had to do was volunteer for an "Artifact Retreival Mission." None of us had any clue what an ARM was but it didnt sound hard, right? Besides, none of the volunteers ever returned to the milita, so they must have been promoted. God, was I stupid.
We were briefed that this would be a standard ARM, our mission to recover an artifact known simply as "the skull." We were to expect competion from the other MegaCorps, but that we were to be the only Bauhaus force, that Bauhaus had "Complete confidence in your capabilities." We would leave in 36 hours, just enough time to pack your gear and to say so long to the grunts that would soon be saluting your promoted ass.
As we were getting on the transport, we noticed cages with Venusian Raptors and we joked that if we ever came across the feared Johan Emigholtz, we would look him in the eye and knock him onto the flat of his back. Irony is a bitch, isn't it? As we stood on the platform joking, whom should come up the ramp but, Commander Emigholtz himself leading his raptor, the infamous Thanatos. With his scarred face and sinister grimace, most of us quickly fell silent and did not meet his glare. One stupid Private not realizing who was twenty paces from him continued his jesting, until Cmdr. Emigholtz was six inches behind him. The Private turned around and froze with fear, knowing that he could be court martialed or worse for his disrespect to a force commander. He didnt even have a chance to make an excuse, Emighotz's hand grabbed him by the throat and started to squeeze. The rest of us just stared not sure if we could believe that this man would be suffocated in front of us. I can remember thinking that the Private would pass out soon, but I was unpleasantly surprised. Emigholtz squeezed harder, we could hear the crunch of bones as the mans throat was crushed. Johan dropped the Privates body and turned to us,"If any one of you ever disrespects me or dares to not follow my command, you will join this fool." Well, if that isn't motivation, I don't know what is. Johan handed Thanatos's reins to Sarge and walked forward through the door to the bridge. If HQ assigned Emigholtz to the mission we knew this would be a high risk mission, with few survivors. Those lying bastards at HQ spending us like pawns.

The flight was long and unremarkable, except for the fact that Thanatos injured two ships mates, and a Lieutenant that got too close. We arrived at the LZ and quickly made our way to the target area. Johan and his "Lounge Lizards" silently following behind us. The target was about 5 clicks North of us, as we approached our scans showed four other forces advancing to a similar area. This must be the competion. We arrived at a fort that appeared to be in prestine condition, but strangely completely void of any life at all. Scouts reported that the other forces were Cybertronic, Capitol, Brotherhood, and a Romanov group. We couldn't understand why the Romanovs were here, other than perhaps a treasonous action to steal the artifact for them selves. Romanov dogs! How soon we found out that was indeed corredt, the Romanovs had brought their highly decorated Wolfhead Dragoons, a fearful sight but not nearly as intimidating as the look on Johans face when he saw them.

We advanced forward in Shield formation towards the fort. We saw what appeared to be a Brotherhood bishop warp directly into the NW corner of the base. Out of nowhere swarms of Crescentian troopers appeared and opened fire on the bishop. But he didnt drop, killing several Crescents before gaining some cover. To the East we could hear Capitol chewing apart the Cybertronic force. Serves them right for turing their bodies into cursed machines.

We continued through the doorway, still not having fired a single shot. As we braced in the opening, our scans started showing multiple target artifacts! All of us militia were getting itchy, we wanted to fight! Monthes of training and all we're going to do is watch? None of us dared to move, the dead Private still pressing in our minds. Johan finally gave permission to shoot at the Crescents and the Brotherhood fool in the center of the fort. We got a few kills but none as impressive as the Heavy Machine Gunners shot on the Brotherhood bishop.
Scans started showing more Crescents appearing behind us, between us and the Romanov Wolfheads. We shut the door and let the Dogs deal with them. Johan sent the Cavalry Kapitain forward to check out an artfact reading in the center area. The kapitain made it there safely, checked the area and found it to have a dummy beacon. Johan cursed and ordered the Kapitain back. As the Kapitain returned a Capitolist Sniper hit the mount with a shot, it slowed him down but didnt do much damage.
In the NW corner again we could now see that the Brotherhood had recovered the artifact and were in an elevated position.
The Gates of Hell seemed to open and spew forth giant insect/arachnid creatures from all points. With the door closed none were immiediately close to us, so we were'nt too concerned until the ground started to shudder and humongous beetles erupted from the earth. We could see that that Capitol was going to have some serios trouble as a Private was melted in a matter of seconds. We almost wept a tear. Almost. Our concern now was how to recover the Skull from the Brotherhood Pilgrims and evac the area. Johan contacted the Transport, whom immeidately replied that a Cartel Dropship had cancelled all clearance for landing for the Megacorporations. The Cartel would be our ride...but only if we brought the skull.

The bugs were becoming too numerous now and attention had to be given to them. Johan ordered us militia to the fort wall to use the high ground advantage. We were ordered to fire on anything that moved that wasnt friendly, bug or human. We followed orders and opened fire on the Wolfheads, bugs, Pilgrims and anything else that moved. The Romanov were standing fast defending well(for a Romanov) against both us and the bugs, the Pilgrims on the other hand were losing ground and appeared as if they would be overrun. Capitol soon had another beetl to deal with, that melted several Assaul Marines leaving only their shells as evidence. Johan ordered the charge and the Raptors raced forward towards the Brotherhood, to recover the skull. Those Raptors are amazing animals moving so fast and stealthily. They surged into the pilgrims picking the apart easily enough as Emigholtz fought of two of the large arachnids. The Skull was soon ours, but that joy was short lived as two types of new bugs arrived a flying dragonfly, and small flame/acid spewing scorpions. More and more of the arachnids were appearing on all sides, all forces were moving toward the Evac LZ. The Cartel Dropship landed with a thud and we knew it was time to go.
It was at this point, that I realized I was the only Ducal Militiaman left, and that I was too far from the dropship to make it in time. I knew I was going to die on the Cardinal forsaken planet. I had served with honor and would die the same way, at the hands/claws of my enemies! I hefted my trusty Panzerknacker and started blowing holes in man and bug alike, attempting to clear a path for the Cavalry to board the ship. Bugs started dropping and the Cavalry rushed forward lead by that magnificent bastard Johan Emigholtz and were soon all onboard. I turned my gone around on the Capitol pigs that were advancing towards the ship(probably to shoot it down) and the Romanov dogs that were scurrying towards the ship(probably to try and take partial credit for the retreival). I took down a Wolfhead, and a bug but, the Capitol pigs shot me in the back. Cowards!! I knew this was it and as I drifted into nothingness, I knew i had done well.
----------------

122905-
I painfully awoke some time later, my left shoulderdecimated by a Captiol bullet, and probably having lost a good deal of blood. I attempted to patch myself up butcould only work on the front of the wound and cant get to the entry point. I have taken about a squads worth of morphine and know that in my state, I won't last by mself. I have heard some buzz on the radion and I think that perhaps some of the Capitol infantry may have been left behind. I will try to catch up with them until an Evac team is sent in for our recovery
--------------

123005-
I have made contact with the Capitol survivors and will meet with them at desinated area ASAP.
--------------

123005-
The Capitol infantry men that survived were few, but I was able to barter some medical supplies in exchange for assistance in treating my wound. The Capitol men are afraid and one man keeps moaing about his girlfriend Eckles. I found it hard to believe that he would have a girlfriend as he seemed a little soft. "Don't Ask, Dont Tell" I guess.
We will camp here for a bit before moving South to hopefully be Evacuated. The Capitol men say we have been abandoned. I tell them perhaps Capitol will abandon its troopers, but the Bernheim House would never abandon a citizen.

God, I hope I'm not wrong.

--------------

-end transmission

BROTHERHOOD BROTHERHOOD BROTHERHOOD BROTHERHOOD BROTHERHOOD BROTHERHOOD BROTHERHOOD BROTHERHOOD BROTHERHOOD BROTHERHOOD BROTHERHOOD [/u][/b][/color]

Brotherhood Debriefing:

Only days after the fort kiley, in the brotherhood chapel of war

Cadinal Domminic enters room, joined by his beloved generals the vestal laura, and Salvatore Nikodemus. They find the sole surviving Padalin tropper, LT. Keeler.

CD: rise my son, and tell me how my best Keeper now lays rest in the halls of sorrow, and how an entire legion of my best troops except you fell in battle to the filth of earth.

Lt. K: Sire, so many things to say, I will just start from the beginning.

The objective was clear, retrive one of the sacred nuke coded skulls from a remote earth base. Simple, so we thought. we only took one drop ship to keep under the watchful eye of the other megacorperations. My padalin group, joined with the sacred warriors of the 69th company. Leading us into battle was keeper miguel sandoval and his personal bodygaurd a redemption assassin.

The intel must have been flawed or too easily avilable to the highest bidders because upon approach we dedected cyber, capital and two bauhuas drop ship signals...but miguel was not worried, he told our pilot to land.

we landed and made way for the fort. upon preliminary scouting the base was pronounced unoccupied. However the other drop ships seemed to have the same objective. miguel told my pilgrams to not fire upon the bauhaus who landed close to us, his plan was to let the dawgs sniff out the skull and then we would simple take it from them.

so that was the plan for me at least, but then the next thing I knwo is "I see it" is shouted over the com and out of no where miguel is gone. He teleported right into the base. We decided to keep our position to provide exit cover, figuring this would be over quick if they already found the objective.

I looked down to check my ammo count in my rifle, and the next thing I see is flames out of miguel's puker and then we were alone because the assassin and the warriors rushed in after our leader had been engaged.

We were wrong...very wrong as we took positions, we used our newly added optic lasers to show us that the base had been overrun with cresentions....the godless fiends, they all should burn in hell!!!!!!!!!

CD: They will have there day of judgement, but tell me...where is the skull?

LT. K: after the warriors made it in, we noticied two bauhaus forces follow our men in. We recieved a call over the com that we had retrieved the skull, and that only two warriors remained out of the entry party.......DAMNIT!!!!....once I herd that, the worst sound a man should ever hear filled my ears....and the next thing I know these giant insects just started showing up....right out of the ground.....it was like the devil sent them himself....we did what we could to engage them.

then I herd the worst thing....."the objective has been intecepted" we lost the skull, my only thought was the bauhaus....those damn lizard riders....they know no mercy...

we were instructed to press inward into the base....as we did we were met by more insects...sire we stood no chance.....my team was eliminated before we even made the outer barriers.....

I got the drop ship corrd. and it was close to my position, so I took position and just started firing....I went though all my ammo, my AC-19 was overheated....I tossed it aside for a primitve bauhaus wepon....

and then the heavens opened and answered my prayers....the drop ship landed, I instincavly jumped on.....I failed you my lord.

CD: You have failed me and you will be punished, But how did you manage to be on the same drop ship as the skull and not gain control of it?

LTk: but....but.....how did you know that......ummmm my lord, when an enemy overcomes so much, somtimes the race of man must combine efforts to prevail.....

CD: only the devout will prevail..........

SLICE!!!!! the surviving padalin's head falls to the floor, reviling the fear in his eyes....laura's hand's are quicker the most can imagine....

CD: nickodemus, miguel failed me and now the bauhaus have something we need to regain a strong foothold on this war.....retreive it for me!!!!!!

with the skull we will let the scum remaining on earth be destroyed by the very weponary they intend to use on us.....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

Link to the Photos:  http://www.miniartofwar.com/modules/Gallery/albup03

« Last Edit: January 12, 2006, 12:01:58 PM by maverickman5 »
Beware the Rules Lawyer!

www.Miniartofwar.com

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
  • THE ALLATLOH of ROCK n' ROLLA
Re: 12/28/05 Battle report- Skull Extraction/Bug Invasion
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 12:17:01 PM »
thats one hell of a report.
nice  ;)

what stats you used for the bugs
Goddamn! its good to be the MasherKing.
home: New Jersey
E-bay: Johny_wonderful

Offline Gallagher_Standard_Barer

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 02:29:13 PM »
I really like the paint on those Cresentians, give my compliments to the artist, or if you are the artist you can keep my compliments for yourself.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2006, 02:38:39 PM by Gallagher_Standard_Barer »

Iron Panda

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 06:18:43 PM »
Nice work on the batrep. And cool pics too!  I like the twist of incorporating SST bugs, very imaginative. It's sort of a warp in space-time continuum of the gaming multiverse leaking into another.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2006, 06:23:03 PM by Iron Panda »

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 08:53:05 PM »
I think it's a great idea for Dark Eden to have giant mutated creatures running around to threaten the troops.   Good material for the sourcebook.  Maybe even have an "army" of mutated nastybads that one player can control or that can be bought individually as attack beasts that the various forces can use when they purchase a beast master of some kind.  Obviously they would be for use on DE only as no Corporation would risk contaminating their world with such vile mutant scum (ahem, except for "research" purposes of course).
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2006, 09:23:37 PM »
Nice twist to the Four Skulls story arc. I have always been fascinated by it and have run numerous scenarios, tourneys and leagues devoted to the mystery of the Skulls.

The guys from the Paradox Forums might remember the first ranking system and the Four Skulls Tournament that was developed for it. It was based off a league tourney I had run with Grumpel and Thom giving input on the scenario and all of us working out balanced force criteria, etc. I remember Orange Roughie (there's a name from the past ) and a few others had problems with the limits placed on troops, but I would have to say that of all the tournaments I have run or played in it was the most balanced.

The addition of the bugs as a mutated species on Dark Eden rocks and has started me to thinking about revisiting Dark Eden - It is without a doubt one of the most inspirational settings for scenarios in the UWZ Universe
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2006, 12:32:54 PM »
Great battle report guys.

Offline Ruther

• Warzone Deutschland
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2006, 02:36:19 PM »
Interesting scenarios and very well presented  :)

He Who Laughs Last, Thinks Fastest

Offline CmdrKiley

• Mini Art of War
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2006, 11:32:58 AM »
Thanks guys!

Been a while since I've posted here.  Thanks Maverickman for posting the battle reports for me.  All three of you guys did a great job writing up one for each of your points of view.

Basically this was our year end Warzone game, so we wanted to do something special.  MonteKev had been wanting to experiment with using SST bugs in a scenario and we sort of brainstormed out a cool scenario.  I sort of thought these to be some sort of mass horde of mutant bug never encountered before on Dark Eden.  I wanted to do something like the Wiskey Outpost type of thing like seen in the SST movie and then decided to make it into an Easter Egg hunt sort of game where the players are stuck between stabbing each other in the back and fending off overwhelming hordes of a common enemy while moving all over the table..  That's when I figured it would be cool to use one of the Dark Eden Skulls as the Easter Egg.  So I cranked out some bug stats, which are currently being revised after trying them out in the game.  Here's my article for them, hopefully I'll have the rest of the bug stats up.  I have to did the original stats for the rest of the bugs of my car again.

Basically the scenario was set up as each player deployed on the outer perimeter of the table with a fortress in the center.  We did 500 points per player, we had 6 and that worked out quite well.  I randomly placed some of my Cresentians to give as a minor suprise.  I also randomly placed 6 markers on the table, one of which was the Skull the other was simply titled "Bugs!".  When either of the Bugs or Skull marker was uncovered (requiring model with hands in base contact and using 1 AP to uncover) then I'd activate (unleash) the bugs.  However, if the Bugs! counter was uncovered first, then I'd place a sinkhole there, where the model is automatically left prone with no AP left and a squad of Warrior bugs would appear at the periphery of the sinkhole.  After the Skull marker was uncovered, I'd remove all the remaining markers and roll a d6 and announce to the party that the Cartel Dropship would arrive in that many turns and randomly determine the general location.  The DS would land, but take off if threatened it would leave or redeploy to another spot.  It would leave at the end of the turn the skull was delivered to the dropship.  Each turn I'd randomly deploy more bugs and Cresentians, replacing lost models just to give it the feeling of an endless horde.

I found the special abilities available from Warzone worked well with creating bugs, particularly the Warrior Bugs, that seemed to behave very much like seen in the movie.  However, when the tunneling markers started moving I directed them to go towards the nearest model and pop up if they had 2 AP points and were close enough for a charge.  Now some people didn't like it at first and I told them to remember the movie Tremors.  Next thing you know, one player is moving a squad member out as bait while the rest sat on Hold "covering" the unfortunate volunteer.

Now VP were awarded as, 500 points to the faction that got the skull onto the dropship.  VP for each model that made it on the dropship and VP for each enemy model or bug model killed, however you needed at least 1 model on the dropship by the end of the game in order to get ANY VP.  No matter how many kills your team made, if you didn't get anyone on the ds, you got 0.  This prompted people to move, and not sit and kill for points, also gave the opportunity for someone to win without actually getting the skull on the DS.

The bugs were all Mongoose's Starship Troopers models, Warriors, Hoppers, Tankers, and Firefries.  I ended up using my recently assembled Plasma bug as another Tanker as I rolled up another Tanker to deploy while one was still alive on the table.  The fortress was make from Tehnolog's Hexagon set, Vor rulned walls and some neat new hydrocal cast walls Monte_Kev provided. 
« Last Edit: January 14, 2006, 11:42:59 AM by CmdrKiley »
Back in my day we didn't have that fancy non-toxic pewter stuff.  We played with lead, LEAD I TELL YA! and we liked it.

Offline monte_kev

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2006, 06:18:20 AM »
Awsome game for sure.

sadly for my brotherhood who got to the skull first it seemed more like "smeer the queer" back in grade school....talk about a gang up...lol like the 500 pts was that much  ::)  ;) :D

good times, and great senerio as always by cmdkiley
Kevin
Avid Drag racer + TTGamer
currently running
Bauhaus and Brotherhood
www.miniartofwar.com