Author Topic: Von Koss's project log  (Read 86632 times)

Offline Von Koss

Von Koss's project log
« on: January 27, 2009, 04:55:18 PM »

The Drugged

Just to start the ball rolling. I thought these guys would be easy to paint up as I am only after a table top standard.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 05:30:12 PM by Von Koss »
Total models painted for the year 2011: 14

<The Goal: exceed 534 painted models in one year>
*End Date: Dec. 25th 2011*
2010- 294 (fail)

Offline Glenn M

Re: Von Koss's project log
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 04:59:24 PM »
Images aren't working.  Check your tags. 

Try this

Code: [Select]
[img]http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee143/vonkoss/Chronopia002.jpg[/img]
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 05:01:18 PM by Glenn M »

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 07:20:52 PM »
Nice to see you've started; it's great when everyone shares their progress.  It motivates others to get back into the ring and get some painting done!
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 07:26:30 PM »
Except for those of us who become dejected and sit alone in the dark trying to convince ourselves that bare metal is pretty.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline Von Koss

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 04:12:27 AM »
Ah, come on Top.  Join us in getting some minis painted and getting back into the swing of things.  I know you've been working hard lately.(Jobs and real life have a way of getting in the way >:() I try to only do one step on a group of minis a day.  Be it putting sand on the base to just spraying on primer.  Like the "Drugged" I'm starting.  I'm not under any time limit, but just one small step a day can eventually take you far.  I would start with either a few minis that you really dig or a few that you know don't require a lot of detail/ effort.  I know I'm not telling you anything you don't already know, but I know how much you like the games and there is something special about playing with painted figs.  In fact, if it were not for the members on this forum and the painting/ terrain logs I would still be just lurking around wishing Chronopia was still as popular (easy to get minis and opponents to play)and staring at a box of unpainted miniatures.  So .... Top! Top! Top! Top!...... :D

2010- 294 (fail)

Offline arctica

• Journeyman
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 04:26:40 AM »
I agree with VK here, i think you should paint some minis Top. Best way to motivate yourself is to put away your models except for the one unit you're going to paint and just work on that, if you got too many out and in your face you'll never get around to doing it. We all believe in you !

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 09:32:01 AM »
Sorry gang but between being a full time Security Officer (the real kind not Paul Blart mall cop), a substitute teacher, a Warzone/Chronopia fig wholesaler, and trying to coordinate the events for Origins and possibly GenCon, not to mention the rest of life's little ups and downs I just don't have the time. Nor do I have the skills. I hope to start trying with my Necormunda stuff as it can be painted to crap quality and I will be satisfied for a while. That will be in about a month I hope.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 05:58:08 PM by Topkick »
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 01:23:38 PM »
I'm psyched to see someone painting up the beginnings of a Stygian force.  I've not seen anyone put sand on the bases before priming.  How's that work, 'xactly?

This could be the answer to the drag that basing sometimes is.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Von Koss

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 05:37:55 PM »
Well just a small update on the Drugged- sprayed them with a coat of white primer.  They will get their first coat of paint tomorrow(thank God it is the start of the weekend for me) and I plan to have them finished Friday evening. Now I know I have just jinxed myself but hey, you gotta have a plan. ;)

So as a teaser until then, I have a few Dwarf Dark Axe warriors to show as I started them earlier this week and finished just last night.  Comments & criticisms are welcome, but just keep in mind that I'm after a table top standard.

2010- 294 (fail)

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 08:40:41 AM »
 Very nice  and clean paint job.I have loads of these to do too.Might get to paint some thing at the weekend.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 10:24:36 AM »
Slammin'!!  I went with red, but I'm kicking myself for not using blue.  masherking has some blue paint (and green) on his, and they look cool too.

Excellent painting, and basing too.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Alxbates

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2009, 11:40:47 AM »
Those look very nice - as Andy said, very clean paint work.

I always put sand on my bases before I prime my figures - it gives another layer of adhesive to hold the sand down, and I can scrape off any excess or misplaced grains after I glue or and before I paint, it lets me keep the figure just a little bit neat-er, no sand on the feet.  And I also prefer the look of painted sand, so it works out pretty well.

-Alex
Wan Chew Tree Faw!

Offline Von Koss

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2009, 07:13:18 PM »
Status update: red mixed with a flesh color for 1st coat on the skin then over-brushed with the flesh color.
Nothing special, just chipping away at the tedious stuff.  I would call them slightly 25% done.

Seeing all the great terrain lately got me working on some of my own.  I started these about a week and a half ago
just finished them a couple days ago.  I have a forest that I created last month, I wanted to have it where you could remove
individual trees in order to place minis during a game and still have the outline of the forest.  I'll post a photo soon to get your thoughts. 

2010- 294 (fail)

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2009, 09:37:51 PM »
Nice - where'd you get the wall pieces from?

Offline Krate

• Journeyman
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2009, 11:54:22 PM »
Man! This stuff is sweet and inspiring!

D-- I think the walls are from the Lord of the Rings battle game put out by the company that shall not be named! But I don't know which version/edition.

Very cool stuff!