Author Topic: Von Koss's project log  (Read 87076 times)

Offline Von Koss

Re: Von Koss's project log
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2009, 04:25:42 PM »
Alrighty here we go with more basing...
First up is getting our equipment ready

Glue:  just your plain old white glue that you used in school for those classroom projects
Brush:  it's worth having a couple of these around in different sizes so you have a choice when going from smaller projects(figure bases) to bigger projects(terrain features) and these brushes can be the cheap ones because once they have been in glue I wouldn't advise trying to paint with them
Basing material:  anything and everything you want to use; but plain sand has become my favorite (you'll see why in a future post)
Tub of water:  trust me, it helps make the magic flow ;)

I know I know, its just a tub of water with a brush inside but there is a catch--- Get a wide rim tub and place it in the floor beside you * :o You do sit close to the floor, don't you?  If you don't then you are wasting all that "table/hobby" space that you have available to you :o*  on which ever side that you use your brush.  I'm right handed, so I place my tub of water on my right side.  This makes things easier and faster and we all want this chore to go by faster.

My chosen victim is this axehorn warrior who looks rather excited to finally be based.  Take your brush and dip it into the glue bottle and get just a bead on the end of the brush and then dip it into the water tub.  Your looking for a milk like consistency when applying it to the base. Just spread it around.

Dip the figure into the sand and "swish" it a round making sure the base is good and covered.  I use a plastic square tub to avoid spillage and a thorough rear-end chewing from the wife.  Nothing stops "hobby time" like a spat with the spouse---just trust me on this one.

Now, use the brushless end of your brush to tap the base of the figure over your sand tub knocking loose any sand that didn't get glued down--if you don't it will wind up in your actual paint brush when you go to paint the base.

Use your thumb/finger to clean sand from around the base--maybe not necessary but it's my "tidy" thing again.

There we go! One Axehorn Warrior almost ready for battle.  Just let the model sit for about 30-40 minutes and your ready to paint.  With all this time to wait you can base a few more cuz after a while you start to get into a grove and this whole thing goes by faster.

This one is for all those Devout players out there.  Just think Demon Wings. :)
A word about sand:  I use just plain old sand, no need in muddying the water just find some by the road or a construction sight.  Just please try not to buy it...it's sand and besides there are more figures out there just waiting for you to purchase them.
Hope this helps and wishing you all many happy days modeling. :D

Total models painted for the year 2011: 14

<The Goal: exceed 534 painted models in one year>
*End Date: Dec. 25th 2011*
2010- 294 (fail)

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2009, 10:06:00 AM »
Progress loks great! Spackle works great - just watch for shrinkage.
Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2009, 02:00:40 PM »
Good stuff.  The Axe Horn looks good too.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Von Koss

« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2009, 05:27:51 PM »
Sorry, no photos this time. :'(

I must confess that I love everything about this hobby from the irresistible crunch of opening a blister pack to the hours of just staring at the models I have already painted and dreaming of the countless battles to come.  I, like so many of you, am interested in several systems and have more than enough pewter and plastic to kept me busy painting for a lifetime.

I just wanted to give you guys an update so you don't think I've been slackin.  I have been working on several things lately that have been neglected for far too long.  So to keep it brief, here is a run down of the things I have been up to:

1) Scratch building 3 islands for "Uncharted Seas"---I am actually thinking about making a Devout fleet from their Imperial line, something like in the Chronopia rulebook-- :-\ I guess the notion just kinda hit me...just to see the look on my friends' faces.

2)  10 Chameleon skinks, 12 Tau fire warriors, 12 Tau gun drones, 5 man Imperial Guard HQ squad, 4 Empire flagellants, 3 Empire mortar crew(not the mortar, yet), and I am working on building my own scratch built "howdah" for my counts-as Stegadon (a toy dinosaur that I picked up at Wal-mart--yeah, that's right--I'm a cheap bastard) 

3)  I made several bases for my size 3 and 4 Chronopia miniatures out of MDF board--it's just not right to see a Dusk Realm Demon on that little 25mm base.

4)  I based the following Chronopia minis:
              2 Dusk Realm Demons
              1 Tormented *it is a toss up between this model and the Dark-eyes as my all time favorite mini*
              1 Damned
              8 Dark-eyes
              2 Harbingers
              8 Devout swordsmen
              8 Devout great swordsmen
              1 Stalker
              2 Nameless

I plan on finally attacking those Stygian axemen with a brush this weekend and maybe if I'm lucky I can fit in a warband of 6 Stygian swordsmen.

2010- 294 (fail)

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2009, 04:33:43 AM »
Great work as always!
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2009, 10:29:55 AM »
The Darklord will be pleased that you have given your soul to his will.  Keep up the great work.  I've enjoyed reading your stuff.
Its not the dog in the fight, its the fight in the dog!

ebay "handle": irishdog143

Offline Von Koss

« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2009, 05:54:35 AM »
Uh-oh...look what arrived in the mail...

I think I just had a wargasm.  Oh dear, I'm going be busy for a while...

Sons of Kronos army with a few Elven reinforcements(Flying Dragonbanes for Obsidian Serpent & Helios). 

2010- 294 (fail)

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2009, 09:02:27 AM »
 Great selection of new miniatures.I still think you need to finish the Stygian first though  ;D.

Offline Von Koss

« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2009, 10:48:58 AM »
Great selection of new miniatures.I still think you need to finish the Stygian first though  ;D.

Yes, you are right and I agree.  Deep down you know I had to crunch open a few blisters though.  I mean come on, it's Sons of Kronos.  It's an army with attitude and half naked chicks with great big... :-\ uh...mmm....uh....swords ;)  What was I to do?  lol

2010- 294 (fail)

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2009, 11:17:51 AM »
 Sons of Kronos are a great force and who does not like Barbarian types.

You will end up like me and spoilt for choice as what to do next  :'(.A symptom of being a mad collector I suppose  ;D.

Offline Von Koss

« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2009, 12:49:38 PM »
Yes, I'm definately mad... this is most likely the largest order I've ever made at one time.  But then again, I have always wanted a Sons of Kronos army and it was one of those moments when I was looking at purchasing this lot that I thought "if I don't do it now, I will probably never get the opportunity again" and well the rest is history now.  I know this sounds strange, but I some how feel complete...and if your a collector of anything, you know what I'm talking about.  Funny how some miniature soldiers can make one feel so happy.

2010- 294 (fail)

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2009, 01:58:04 PM »
 I could not have said it better.

This week I have recieved five greens from two different sculptors with another on its way.Looking forward to getting to the stage when I can show these off with painted examples.

Also won a good deal of Chronopia,Leviathan and Warzone miniatures from Ebay today.

Life as a miniatures addict is great.

Offline Von Koss

« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2009, 04:43:22 PM »
Back again with an update.  Here is a wip shot of those Stygian axeman I've been carrying on about.  I hope to find some time this week to finish them up.  All that is left is to finish the gold work then teeth,eyes, and static grass.

...and this is what has been keeping me away from my Stygian.

If I counted correctly that is 106 minis glued to their bases and have had all the mold lines cleaned off.  After all this, I think I'm gonna catch some "shut eye" before I get too tired and my hobby knife sneaks up on me. ;)

See you guys soon.

2010- 294 (fail)

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2009, 06:28:51 PM »
Nice!  Looks like you are going to putting those hands to good work for a while!
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #74 on: March 17, 2009, 08:56:46 AM »
Holy cow! That is a lot of minis! Looks like you will be busy for awhile.
Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.