Author Topic: Von Koss's project log  (Read 86641 times)

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
Re: Von Koss's project log
« Reply #150 on: January 27, 2010, 10:28:21 PM »
Holy shmoly!  That's enormous (no the sound of dripping water you're hearing is not a leaky faucet, it's me drooling with envy!)   :P

Offline Cirith

• StygianBeach
« Reply #151 on: January 28, 2010, 03:23:39 AM »
Looking good, I am really envious of your working space, puts my desk and lamp to shame.

I am liking your conversion as well, I recognise most of the parts, well except the legs.

People willing to trade their freedom for security deserve neither and will lose both.

Offline Von Koss

« Reply #152 on: January 28, 2010, 03:51:03 AM »
The Shadow Stalker piece break down includes:

head-GW 6th Ed wood elf
torso-GW 6th Ed skaven clan rat
arms-GW 6th Ed skaven night runners
sword-GW 7th Ed dark elf corsair(sp?)
lower body-GW 6th Ed skaven clan rat
feet- GW 7th Daemonette of Slannesh(sp?)

*I joined the daemonette leg/feet at knee joint of the skaven clan rat lower body*  
---more work to be done----

I know it's bad "mojo" to envoke the cursed name of that company...but I can not shrink away from using their parts for my own vision of a character from my beloved gaming system.  Who would have thought a person would use one/some of their models for a different game.  Normally it's the other way around.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 03:57:58 AM by Von Koss »
Total models painted for the year 2011: 14

<The Goal: exceed 534 painted models in one year>
*End Date: Dec. 25th 2011*
2010- 294 (fail)

Offline Daargrim

« Reply #153 on: January 28, 2010, 08:21:56 AM »
Just wonderful VK, I'm very jealous.  Thanks for sharing.  We'll be building a house soon and I will get my own little "office" adjacent to the basement utility area, so I hope to rig up a nice miniature-working space.  But yours is just tremendous!

I don't own any terrain or game table stuff (I use my buddies when we get together to play once or twice a year).  Any advice for cheap ways to come up with my own stuff?  I've often considered building a 4'x8' table covered in some sort of flock (or roll-up flock pad) and then buy my terrain (just basic stuff) on ebay.  I haven't done any real research though on where to buy terrain online and what is good and what isn't.  I'd rather not make too much of it myself as I have limited painting time as it is.

Thanks again for sharing.

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #154 on: January 28, 2010, 09:57:43 AM »
Awesome, just awesome is all I can say. The things I could do with that space.

I own the garage and basement in our house (we have a crawl space BTW).

Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #155 on: January 28, 2010, 01:13:32 PM »
 Damn.I was jealous with the amount of miniatures that you get painted and now I am just plain depressed.You are so lucky with the space you have.I think I might have to sell my soul to get a similar set-up.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #156 on: January 28, 2010, 01:31:25 PM »
Von Koss, when can I come over and play some Chornopia???  Where do you live anyway?

My lazy butt is breakin' out the digital camera.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Von Koss

« Reply #157 on: January 29, 2010, 07:43:43 AM »
Hey guys!  Thanks for the compliments.  The thing is, I have a problem.  I love this hobby, I admit it.

I have decided that through He** or high water... I will continue this hobby(all aspects of it) no matter what.  I have been doing this since June of 1997 and have not had the slightest moment of disinterest.  Some men love guns, fishing/hunting, old cars, computers/games, work (*shudders*), t.v., or motorcycles...I love modeling/painting, tabletop wargames, astronomy and smokeless tobacco ...well ...a lot of tobacco.

I decided to make my hobby heaven no matter what it takes.  I am very lucky and fortunate that my wife encourages my hobby and has never made an issue of collecting/pursuing miniature wargames.  She kinda finds the whole thing cool. 8)

@ warzoneD- thanks buddy, this room is my "dream zone" and walking in there always takes away the blues.

@ Cirith- I once had a little cramped apartment and just didn't have the room to store my painted figs.  I had a little computer desk that held little more than my brushes and paints let alone a decent light for painting.  Once I made up my mind though, I went wild with what I wanted in a hobby room.  The Shadow Stalker conversion came straight out of the ol' bitz box and a desire to convert something.

@ Daargrim-  Ah don't be jealous friend, you are about to build a house and this kinda "hobby dream" is within your grasp.  Please be sure to post a pic of your "office" ;) when you get set up, I'd love to see it.  As far as cheap terrain,  I would definitely go into detail but I think luckyone has me beat when it comes to building cheap terrain.  In fact I'm going to change the way I do forests/jungles to his way of building.  It would just be cheaper.  If you have any specific terrain in mind that you want to know about, just let me know and I'll give you the "low down" and if I can't, I'm sure someone here can fill in the blanks.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 08:44:56 AM by Von Koss »

2010- 294 (fail)

Offline Daargrim

« Reply #158 on: January 29, 2010, 07:54:43 AM »
@ Daargrim-  Ah don't be jealous friend, you are about to build a house and this kinda "hobby dream" is within your grasp.  Please be sure to post a pic of your "office" ;) when you get set up, I'd love to see it.  As far as cheap terrain,  I would definitely go into detail but I think luckyone has me beat when it comes to building cheap terrain.  In fact I'm going to change the way I do forests/jungles to his way of building.  It would just be cheaper.  If you have any specific terrain in mind that you want to know about, just let me know and I'll give you the "low down" and if I can't, I'm sure someone here can fill in the blanks.

Well, I shouldn't complain..I have a 10x10 room right now that is pretty much mine, although its holding a lot of family "junk" as well, but it gives me a desk to paint, plus a TV and computer.  Maybe I'll throw a picture in my log.  But I don't have a good "workshop" type space like you do (at least not yet).

[tangent]
Anyway, not to hijack this thread, but as far as terrain...I was thinking any suggestions on just buying the stuff already done.  Once upon a time I thought I would end up making my own but I don't see that happening.  For example, if anyone had any suggestions for a big roll-out mat, etc, etc.  As far as pieces of terrain, I do see stuff on ebay often and have been tempted to buy it.  I guess all I can do is buy a couple pieces and see if I like them or not.
[/tangent]

Offline Von Koss

« Reply #159 on: January 29, 2010, 08:20:50 AM »
...continued

@ luckyone- Thank you sir!

@ Manic_Miner-  I am very lucky and thankful for this hobby space.  Please don't be depressed, I encourage you to be inspired.  This room is the 10 year accumulation of hobby projects, daydreams, and down right "strategies" to attain the game room that I always fantasied about.  I searched and saved for two years before finding the home we have now.  We almost passed it up due to the absurd high price.  The housing slump here in America allowed for my wife and I to finally purchase a home on our terms and not be "wallet raped".  The timing of this slump was indeed instrumental to my dream.  

The painting spree I have been in lately has been something of an anomaly for me.  I guess you could say my painting spring has been wound too tight.  The thing is ...I do not get in a fuss if I make a small mistake, I just let it go.  If I can't see the mistake at "arm's length", I do not go back.  I batch paint the same pose miniature if I can.  

*Here is a painting secret...<looks around deviously>  When you sit down to paint, your just setting up the miniature(s) for the next time.  Get the mini prepped for next time and you will find it easier to go back to it when you sit down again.  The current step is just preparation for the next step.

So I encourage you to hang in there and if there comes a time when you just can't pick up the paintbrush...clean up your painting area, mini storage area, make an "inventory" list of every mini you have for a specific faction/game system.  I guess I just mean ...you don't have to paint to do something hobby related...it helps to change gears sometimes and do something different.

@ joshuaslater-  You my friend, are always welcome for a game of Chronopia should you ever venture South into the land of west TN.  I'm located right in the heart of west TN near Jackson.  Like all good southern gentlemen, I will provide the whiskey, tobacco, and a good scrap on the battlefield. ;)

Thank you all for your comments- it's for you guys that I post my adventures into this log and I hope you will visit more often, as well as, post a few comments along the way.  See ya soon! :D
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 08:43:37 AM by Von Koss »

2010- 294 (fail)

Offline Von Koss

« Reply #160 on: January 29, 2010, 08:34:10 AM »
@ Daargrim- For my big battle table I bought some of that "stone spray" you get at Wal-Mart that you use to cover things to make them look like stone.  It makes a great surface area that looks like it's based in sand.  Then I buy a spray can of what ever paint color I want for my table.  To glue sand onto a board, then prime it, then paint it is just too much work.  Buy the can and spray, that's it.  Easy peasy.  So you don't have to buy a roll-up mat.  

I bought my "dirty river" from Neal @ the Warstore (great customer service and great prices- win win if you ask me) in the terrain section at his online store.  He has a pretty good selection of terrain there.  To be honest I always look there before I go to ebay.  It's also where I got my table top battle mat for Firestorm Armada and Battlefleet Gothic, not to mention the desert battlefield mat I got there as well.  Very good stuff.

I forgot...I got my "Sea Battllefield" for Uncharted Seas from Neal as well.
I hope this helps.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 08:47:23 AM by Von Koss »

2010- 294 (fail)

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #161 on: January 29, 2010, 09:48:05 AM »
@ Daargrim-  Ah don't be jealous friend, you are about to build a house and this kinda "hobby dream" is within your grasp.  Please be sure to post a pic of your "office" ;) when you get set up, I'd love to see it.  As far as cheap terrain,  I would definitely go into detail but I think luckyone has me beat when it comes to building cheap terrain.  In fact I'm going to change the way I do forests/jungles to his way of building.  It would just be cheaper.  If you have any specific terrain in mind that you want to know about, just let me know and I'll give you the "low down" and if I can't, I'm sure someone here can fill in the blanks.

Well, I shouldn't complain..I have a 10x10 room right now that is pretty much mine, although its holding a lot of family "junk" as well, but it gives me a desk to paint, plus a TV and computer.  Maybe I'll throw a picture in my log.  But I don't have a good "workshop" type space like you do (at least not yet).

[tangent]
Anyway, not to hijack this thread, but as far as terrain...I was thinking any suggestions on just buying the stuff already done.  Once upon a time I thought I would end up making my own but I don't see that happening.  For example, if anyone had any suggestions for a big roll-out mat, etc, etc.  As far as pieces of terrain, I do see stuff on ebay often and have been tempted to buy it.  I guess all I can do is buy a couple pieces and see if I like them or not.
[/tangent]

Not highjacking - just replying. I am willing to make terrain for you. I have made foam hills, cliffs, jungle and tree bases (60mm and CD sized). I have several Hirst Art's molds I can use. PM me and we can talk / discuss. Back to your regularly scheduled program
Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.

Offline Von Koss

« Reply #162 on: February 02, 2010, 12:48:01 PM »
Two of my Shadow Stalkers ready for priming, but the weather is really not inclined to see me speed through these...mumble...grumble....

The Kutra Lancer is just a side project that I already had primed and ready for gray-scaling and it will be a nice distraction from painting more WH VC zombies (29 almost done).  I have been really lucky as I have not made too many mistakes to slow me down...I never seem to get this lucky.  I guess my "internal color wheel" is finally working with me.

The Lancer is no where near done as I'm trying to decide on some type of Middle Eastern pattern for the Kutra's saddle cloth.

I hopefully will have more time for painting the next two months as my rotating work schedule has lined me up for some down time.  See you soon!

2010- 294 (fail)

Offline Daargrim

« Reply #163 on: February 04, 2010, 12:06:22 PM »
@ Daargrim- For my big battle table I bought some of that "stone spray" you get at Wal-Mart that you use to cover things to make them look like stone.  It makes a great surface area that looks like it's based in sand.  Then I buy a spray can of what ever paint color I want for my table.  To glue sand onto a board, then prime it, then paint it is just too much work.  Buy the can and spray, that's it.  Easy peasy.  So you don't have to buy a roll-up mat.  

I bought my "dirty river" from Neal @ the Warstore (great customer service and great prices- win win if you ask me) in the terrain section at his online store.  He has a pretty good selection of terrain there.  To be honest I always look there before I go to ebay.  It's also where I got my table top battle mat for Firestorm Armada and Battlefleet Gothic, not to mention the desert battlefield mat I got there as well.  Very good stuff.

I forgot...I got my "Sea Battllefield" for Uncharted Seas from Neal as well.
I hope this helps.

thanks, this is helpful.  Like the idea for the stone spray!  I've ordered from the War Store before so I familiar with them.

Offline Von Koss

« Reply #164 on: February 18, 2010, 01:54:45 PM »
Just a small update so no pics... >:(

I have had a change of heart on my Kutra Lancer paint scheme so it's back to the "drawing board"  just could not find a way to make the pinksh red work...just too big an area on the back saddle cloth.  I'm thinking about a light green ...I don't know though...just tossing colors around in my head.

I have just about completed some GW WOTR "Last Alliance Elves" to stay in "painting practice" despite feeling a little blue and under the weather lately...overall...I really want Spring Time to hurry up and get here.

2010- 294 (fail)