Author Topic: Von Koss's project log  (Read 87131 times)

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
Re: Von Koss's project log
« Reply #120 on: July 20, 2009, 12:24:51 PM »
 I know how you feel.I split my blisters and placed each faction in there own box.Loads of miniatures for each faction and more still in boxes all over the place.
 My Chronopia collection is probably the biggest lot to go through.Then My Wargods ones.I also have loads of Grymn to use as an alternative Imperial Guard force.
 Then I have loads more from alot of different companies.
 Lets see if we can post something new each week or every other week.

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #121 on: July 20, 2009, 06:47:12 PM »
Great work!  As always.

D

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #122 on: July 29, 2009, 10:49:44 AM »
I just washed an entire army of Cybertronic for Warzone.  Now to clean them.  I've got one unit almost done for my Brotherhood force, but most of my time is devoted to just assembly.  At least something's getting done!!
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #123 on: July 29, 2009, 11:27:18 AM »
I just washed an entire army of Cybertronic for Warzone.  Now to clean them.  I've got one unit almost done for my Brotherhood force, but most of my time is devoted to just assembly.  At least something's getting done!!

Josh, I hope you got behind their ears.

Just kidding.
Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.

Offline Von Koss

« Reply #124 on: September 16, 2009, 10:34:58 AM »
Wow....almost two months without an update...I should be ashamed.

Well, no pics today...just an update on the projects I've been working on:

Projects Finished & game ready

6 Stygian Reapers
1 Stygian Ophidian
1 Devout Harbinger (Dark Wings not complete)
2 Devout Dusk Realm Demons
2 Blackblood close combat Ogres

Projects in Progress

12 SOK Tribal Warriors
9  SOK  Berserkers
9  SOK  War dogs
36  Perry Brothers plastic Confederate Infantry
24 GW LOTR Riders of Rohan
80 GW LOTR Army of the Dead Infantry (yeah ...I know...but they paint up really fast)
1 Armorcast Titian w/ several extra weapons ( I'm painting this one up for a friend- Iron Warriors paint scheme)
1 Ork Stompa (almost complete- can't figure out how I want to paint the rockets)
....plus others as the list is very long

I'll post pics tomorrow as the weather is not cooperating and if I'm not "gamer-napped" by real life again.  

« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 10:48:37 AM by Von Koss »
Total models painted for the year 2011: 14

<The Goal: exceed 534 painted models in one year>
*End Date: Dec. 25th 2011*
2010- 294 (fail)

Offline Von Koss

« Reply #125 on: November 04, 2009, 10:18:32 AM »
Update Time!
Here are the completed Stygian...

two completed Ogres (the rest of their warband is wip)

and here is a little something I'm working on for playing those great big games of Sci-Fi.  Nothing fancy, just for getting the feel of urban conflicts.

Here is an almost complete building with the "stone spray".  I thought the Warzone fans would like to see these as they are very quick to make up...just cut up a box to make the doors and windows ...a quick stone spray... glue the see-through plastic on the inside and presto...a building ready for your troops to take cover.

Heres to hoping I can get a little more hobby time in the future.  See ya around! :D

2010- 294 (fail)

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #126 on: November 04, 2009, 10:22:35 AM »
Nice work as always!
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #127 on: November 04, 2009, 10:32:05 AM »
Great job! Thanks for the update!
Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.

Offline Petru5

• Keeping eastern KC an UWZ!!!
    • Conn-Man Games blog
« Reply #128 on: November 04, 2009, 09:55:22 PM »
Put an arched front on that last building and you'd have the Hall of Justice!  That'd be perfect for SuperSystem!
"Game over, man! Game over!"
-Private Hudson

Offline Von Koss

« Reply #129 on: November 12, 2009, 11:32:25 AM »
Hello again...I have always been the guy who looks around and wonders "where did the time go?".  It's almost as if I have been caught in a perpetual daydream.  Well to get to the point, I wondered how much progress have I made in a year in getting my mini collection painted.  I do not have any other hobbies other than a few video/computer games and minis are pretty much my main interest.  I will admit the past year has been light on the gaming side of things, but when I went back and looked at what I had painted in almost a years time...it shocked me pretty bad.  My wife and I had bought a new house which included a fairly nice unattached 2 vehicle garage (I have not doubt you could fit three moderately sized vehicles in there) so you know what happened when we moved in...right?  

Well, we moved in at the end of Oct. 08 and there was quite a bit of painting/ moving furniture around and the general mucking about when you buy a home.  It was all I could do to keep from locking myself in my new wonderland of gaming but the Wife insisted that I get about setting us up proper...so gaming/painting fun had to be put off.  When the time came around right after Christmas to get on with the gaming/painting I launched myself into that swirling abyss of a dream.

Today I woke up from that dream and when the counting had finished ... I have painted 472 models to date from all sorts of games/terrain.  I could not believe it.  It kinda left me speechless.  But no matter what you say...I have just proved that I'm a official, card carrying, no social life, painting goober. :-\

So what do you think this painting goober has to do?  That's right...I've gotta get to 500 before Christmas Day 2009.  

So tell us what you have painted throughout the year and what do you hope to get painted before years end.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 11:35:54 AM by Von Koss »

2010- 294 (fail)

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #130 on: November 12, 2009, 01:47:03 PM »
 That is an amazing amount of miniatures painted.

I dont think I have painted anything this year.Really need to get motivated and get some thing,anything painted.

If you can paint 28 before Christmas I am sure I can do at least a units worth.Now to decide what.Might try to finish the Devout Greatswordsmen I started god know's when.Or the Dwarves I started.Choices,choices.

Offline Von Koss

« Reply #131 on: November 14, 2009, 11:16:04 AM »
Motivation can be a hard thing to find at times,  it's almost like you have to grab it and tackle it to the ground just to get started.  I like some hobbyist/gamers/collectors suffer from the "chronic illness" of wanting all the figs I can throw money at ...at the time, there is just so much good stuff out there these days.

I have amassed quite a few armies over just 12 years of gaming and I know I don't want to stop collecting and I (for some unknown reason) have been feeling the pull to play only with painted models.  Don't get me wrong, I will play games with unpainted minis as I don't get as many opportunities to play as I use too.  Seeing a game played out with two completely painted armies on a descent battlefield is what it is all about in my opinion.

The are a couple of reasons why I have been able to get these minis painted:

* no children
* no other major interests/hobbies
* plenty of space to stop one project and put it aside and pick up another- I have the attention span of a gnat.
* I paint several minis at a time that have the same exact pose so it's almost like my hand has formed a memory of the painting strokes.  It does not add to the variation of my forces but I can tell you ...it really increases speed.
* Grey-scaling.  It is just that cool.

As we go through life we can pick up inspiration for things from the weirdest places.  For example,  Dave Ramsey's "Financial Peace" explains the rolling snowball affect/effect(?) in paying off debt.  You can use this in getting your mini collection painted.
Paint up the rest of a squad/warband to add to the army.  Finish off another for a different army to keep things fresh.  Paint something for another game, then come back.  After awhile you get your armies closer to completion and then set your focus to the one almost done.  One completed army.  Start on the next one that is close and you start to "see the light at the end of the tunnel".  You can do this process for your squads, armies, or all the models of your collection for that game's system.

That is how I have been able to tackle my pewter/plastic mountain.  It has made a dent in my pile and I look forward to trying to out do myself next year, for if anything it may help in keeping me motivated. ;)

2010- 294 (fail)

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #132 on: November 14, 2009, 11:23:50 AM »
Big fan of Dave Ramsey and am trying to apply his principles to my financial life but never thought I'd see them applied to gaming and/or painting. Karma for the original and helpful idea.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline Von Koss

« Reply #133 on: November 27, 2009, 05:45:23 PM »
I finally did it...500 minis painted as of this year.
Blackblood Caravan Guards w/ leader...this group pushed the total up to 481.

SOK wardogs....they are all the same pose but it got them selected to be painted.  490

I know it's not Chronopia but it pushed my painted model count to 500.  Uncharted Seas Dwarf Starter Fleet.  Great models and very easy to greyscale.  They were all painted in two sessions because I had to let the wash dry.  

If you haven't tried grey scaling, you really should.  It makes quick work of painting skin (as an example) for all you SOK fans out there.  See ...looky...only one coat of wash on the skin.

and a close up.

Give it a try and tell us what you think.  
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 05:49:41 PM by Von Koss »

2010- 294 (fail)

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #134 on: November 28, 2009, 06:08:10 AM »
You'll have to go into more depth on this greyscaling.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!