Author Topic: nasty devout tunneler  (Read 4687 times)

Offline troy-the-just

nasty devout tunneler
« on: January 13, 2009, 04:08:28 PM »
ok, last time we played, the nasty devout tunnneler, has 3 actions, 5 movement a piece, he can move 5, come up, trample, than go back down.  how do you attack, let alone kill this unit.  it has become an uber unit, when used in this manner, all the opposing forces can do is dive out of the way, no one can ever attack it, let alone kill it.  this cannot be the way it was supposed to be, thoughts/

Offline wmeredith

• Ebay sig. 9390william.
Re: nasty devout tunneler
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 08:01:14 PM »
Hello

As I read it the Abyss Crawler has to spend an action to emerge and or submerge. He can emerge then trample, then submerge. It can not move 5 , then emerge, trample, then submerge. How I and Josh have handled this is when the marker for the tunneling unit gets close we put units on wait. When the Abyss crawler emerges it has to be close to do a trample attack, when it emerges use wait tests to attack the Crawler. Also place missile units on high terrain so that it can not get to them try to keep them on wait.

wmeredith
Wise men say absolute power corrupts absolutely I am not a wise man.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 07:03:27 AM »
Some of your waiting models will have to dive for cover.  Some will be able to charge from wait, at the side of the trampling model, and some may even catch it before it burrows.  The trample is resolved even if the crawler is killed, but I think a break test is in order if you get models into it before it tries to burrow.  At least that's how we've been playing it, and it seems to work.  We've never had problems with it in game balance.

Make sure you have raised terrain to move to.  If not, keep some heavy hitters like a Deathseeker or a Repulsar Knight handy to come off of wait and put wounds on it.  The trick is to play it enough times that when you see the burrowing marker you keep your wits about you, understand the threat and the odds, and then play bold.  Remember, it can't come up under a unit, and nothing is stopping you from moving your unit on top of the Abyss Crawler Card!!  That means it can't move 5" underground, surface, then trample and then burrow underground; it's got 3 actions.

It is a nasty monster, and like any in this game, on a good day it will take out a lot of points, but I've also seen it on a bad day where it did squat.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline troy-the-just

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 09:41:32 AM »
that is kinda the way we resolved it, but from reading the book, your waiting units could only dive for cover, if you have units in the area, they should be able to come off wait, otherwise you can never kill the thing.  i understand the movement, that is the way we have played it as well

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 11:50:34 AM »
Yup.  Dive for cover is the best way to save those troops!!  If you can charge some not in the trample zone into the beast, you can put wounds on it.  It's not unbeatable, and after a while it's like any other nasty out there.  Just hope you make your fear save!!
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA