Author Topic: NEW YEARS GAMING RESOLUTIONS  (Read 11675 times)

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
Re: NEW YEARS GAMING RESOLUTIONS
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2009, 10:48:44 AM »
I tremble and drool and humbly prsent MadBrad with the sword of gamerdom...and I thought I collected a lot of games!  Okay, so not to hijack my own thread but

A) Have you played them all?
B) What are some of your surprise favorites?

D

P.S. Maybe you should start the first gaming museum!!   Looked at your page and have to do shout-outs to--

Ace of Aces
Civilization! - That game rocks!
Juntaaaa!

How do you like Blood Feud and Battle Mist and Tanhauser?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 11:06:11 AM by warzoneD »

Offline Alpha

• FAQ Team
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2009, 12:16:40 PM »
I resolve to develop my new gaming buddy - my son. He just learned Dungeon Quest and liked it. Talisman is next. After that, he'll be ready to start with minis.
Maybe Seige of the Citadel....or the new MC game? What do you recommend for young beginners?
Arch Nemesis of the Pathetically Correct
Ebay Handle: Alpha-Male

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2009, 06:22:51 PM »
How old is he?  I've found kids can handle more complicated rules than most people think.  I've taught a 10 yr old UWZ.  I guess it also depends on their temperament and attention span.

D

Offline Alpha

• FAQ Team
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2009, 05:27:19 PM »
He'snly 6, but a bright kid (reading at a 5th grade level)....I think he'll be fine with "Talisman". He's pretty excited about playing a miniatures game though. He brought me a copy of Target's "Archives" and said "I want to play THIS!". I don't think he's ready for it yet, but I'm looking forward to the day when he is.
Arch Nemesis of the Pathetically Correct
Ebay Handle: Alpha-Male

Offline Petru5

• Keeping eastern KC an UWZ!!!
    • Conn-Man Games blog
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2009, 07:13:07 AM »
Well, if he's reading at that level with comprehension, then he should have no problems with Siege or Berets.  If you want to give him a more chess-like game along the same vein, then go to BoardGameGeek and look for Lost Patrol.  It's an OOP GW two-player minis game that is hard for the Marine Scouts, but fun for the native player.  The BBG page has links to recreate the entire game.  I've made my copy on foamboard.  It's a hoot!
"Game over, man! Game over!"
-Private Hudson

Offline MadBrad

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2009, 08:49:48 AM »
@WarzoneD,

I have not played them all.  In fact, most of them are unplayed.  Another symptom of my OCD.   However, I have played several of the games. 

Surprise favorites:

Rise and Fall - a very rare game published by the designer in limted run.   It is a reasonably simple game of conflict between Rome, Persia and the Barbarians at the end of the Roman Empire. 

Junta:  Not really a surprise, because any game that has a phase that starts with "The Ceremonial Shelling of the Palace", must be a good game. 

Twilight Struggle:  Actually not in the picture - have to pick up a copy.   Superb game of US vs USSR Power Politics during the Cold War.  Excellent balance, many paths to victory, very TENSE gameplay!  Just freakin' rocks!

Down in Flames:  Quick dogfigt game that plays an entire dogfight in 5 to 10 minutes. Campaign can be finished in 45 to 60 minutes.   Surprisingly addictive for such a simple game.

Descent: Journeys in the Dark - Great dungeoncrawl game with figures and some gameplay surprises. 

Wilderness War - Card driven game of the French and Indian War.   Asymetic gameplay - The Brits have to defend settlements, and try to conquer the French.  The French try to raid the bejesus out of the settlements and survive superior British Military.  Only by carefully balancing resources can you end up winning the game.   

I do eventually want to play all the games I own, but I am now doing more collecting than acquiring for game play.   Still, in retirment, I may open the Home for Old Gamers and finally have the time.   

@Alpha  Keep working on the new generation.  Glad to see Dad and son are able to spend some quality time together.   

Cybertronic - Superior by design

E-Bay Handle: bradthemad

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2009, 05:03:17 PM »
Junta:  Not really a surprise, because any game that has a phase that starts with "The Ceremonial Shelling of the Palace", must be a good game. 

HAHAHAHAHAHA!  Thanks, I needed that!