Author Topic: Cheap Terrain Ideas  (Read 9935 times)

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
Cheap Terrain Ideas
« on: September 22, 2005, 06:30:05 AM »
A  most excellent mat has made itself available off the back of a truck for my gaming group.  It's a greyish/bluish sheet of some kind of flooring material that we are using for city and underground encounters.  A 40$ game mat is great, but when you can find a remnant of free flooring that does the same thing it's that much better.  Too bad we can't roll it up!
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline T Prime

• Big Kahuna, Chairman of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Member Prime
Re: Cheap Terrain Ideas
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 08:37:13 AM »
Have a picture?
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc
Excelsior!!

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 09:18:33 AM »
I'll shoot some after the con.  All effort is being made to finish paintin'!

Offline Gubs

• Prophet Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 10:08:10 AM »
I've never had the time to do it, but the idea of making 2'x1' or even 2'x2' terrain sections using industrial tiles has always been something I've wanted to do.   The terrain would be modular, allowing for variety and it would be easily transportable.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 11:17:34 AM »
Well hell, Matt, I was just happy to have a piece of drywall or a roll up grass mat.  Your idea sounds pretty cool.  You could change the battlefield just by rearranging some squares.  I haven't seen anything else like that out there.   Sounds like an idea you should cash in on.  Ka-ching!

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 01:26:46 PM »
For my first ever terrain board I made a huge river/chasm piece (had pics on the old site).  The intent was to eventually fill the chasm with water effects but have been unable to date.  The good news was it was a great 4x4 board.  The bad news was that since I only had one bridge, the games frequently looked about the same.  The 2x2 pieces are a much better option having learned the hard way.  The other option was to take a 4x4 piece of wood and texture it then paint it a uniform color (like grey for example).  I did this for a second board and use it as a base for either a grey wasteland or an urban ruin.  I used a common paint for the bases of my buildings and the hills I built for the board so it all blends even thought the buildings have their own uniques colors (okay, unique colors of grey).   My point?  Other than the now-defunct GW battlemat I used for grass, it was relatively cheap; the wood I bought at a major department store for about $10 bucks and the foam was another $10.  I used Americana Paint (the cheapest of the cheap stuff you get at Michaels [an American craft chain of stores] so that paint was probably another $5.  The sand I got from a nearby parking lot. 

Of course it is still trumped by "free".

Throw some pics up when you get a chance!
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2005, 05:39:50 PM »
Stalker has modular terrain boards that work pretty well. We used them this last summer to run the Salvage scenario at Origins.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890