Author Topic: WW2 Warzone!  (Read 8284 times)

Offline Gallagher_Standard_Barer

Re: WW2 Warzone!
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2008, 11:57:14 AM »
I've been thinking army composition rules may need to be revisited.  Specifically the devide between Grunt and Elite.  What we might normally think of as Elite units, American Airborne, Falschrimjager, Commando, etc weren't fielded as a supplement to existing forces i.e. it was rare and far from ideal for an operation to be carried out by two squads from 1st Infantry Division, and a squad from the 82nd Airborne.  Rather whole forces were internally consistant.

I think this means we need to rethink the role of the Elite unit designation.  I can think of two possibilities.  The simpler of the two, eliminate the Elite designation entirely, leaving only grunts, individuals, and support.  The other option would be to have the elite designation represent vetrancy, with basically the same organization and equipment as grunts but with higher stats, special abilites, and coorespondingly higher PC.

Contrarily support still clearly has a role: representing company and higher level assets like HMG teams, Mortars, or vehicle support (though I'm not sure if I want to include or how much emphasis I'll want to place on vehicles, since without dedicated AT infantry can be almost completely ineffective).

As far as weapons go I was thinking the best rationale was to have damage consistent along calibur lines i.e. all .30-06 do X damage, all .303 do Y damage, all 9mm do Z damage, etc. and then allow the weapons other properties determine things like range modifiers, rate of fire, etc.  What do people think?

Offline Sylvas

• Midwest Crusader
Re: WW2 Warzone!
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2008, 02:44:41 PM »
just eliminate the designation and create some kind of core unit that every force needs, like GIs, Tommies, Strelkovy etc...

as for the armor designation, just make a baseline value for a person, say a 10, and some troops that carried more equipment, like GIs or Marines, increase the value to a 12 or something like that (that way there is always a chance for a save because a shot hit a helmet or something similar)...

the more Elite units, like Soviet Guards, SS, Airborne etc may have a slightly higher ARM like a 13 because of better training and more effective use of available cover...

weapon damage would have to be adjusted accordingly, but this is relatively minor...

range bands would have to be adjusted to maybe half of what the current UWZ bands are, as a start, and then adjusted further through playtesting...

B...
eBay name: sylvas1970