Author Topic: How surprised was I to find you?  (Read 7428 times)

Offline BD Ford

How surprised was I to find you?
« on: December 19, 2008, 01:01:15 AM »
A lot! I thought Warzone was dead.

I have had the original 4 books since they came out, was the only one I knew of who did, always liked the game and despite losing/selling off models for it, kept the books all these years. So I still play the original rules. (Call me either a hard core traditionalist, or, seriously out of touch. Your choice)

I had no idea that there had been V2 rules let alone V3 UWZ. I found some of the figures through prince august and somehow that led me, finally, here!

I never would have thought there was a Warzone forum still going after all this time. I think it stands as testament to the fact that the rules are good, the universe interesting and the games are fun. In warzone, the figures act like soldiers, darting about with cunning and vigor, instead of like brain dead automatons.

I was a big WH40K player for years  - had the original RT book - and saw the inexorable march of the GW tide sweep other games into almost oblivion, games like warzone and void 1.1, and in the process move further and further away from what I liked about 40K. In the end I quit being an "official" GW 40K player and was something of a heretic - I once fielded an entire space marine/IG army without a single GW figure in it. You should have heard the 40K rules nazis squawk about THAT! Heee...

Now when I play 40K (STILL love some of the figures) I use warzone rules - I kid thee not. Capitol for space marines, Bahaus for IG, Algeroth for Orks, Mishima for Eldar etc.... with a few tweaks here and there, it seems to work (for me anyway) and gives something of the flavor of the original 40K RT game, when Space marines weren't all conquering, Orks were big mean and dead hard instead of just shtoopid, and the Imperial Guard...well, got hammered same as they always do  ;D
A lot of my IG armies were Capitol figures anway, or Void marines etc.

So it's nice to know that after all this time, Warzone lives on thanks to this forum and the guys at prince august. It's always fun to try and proxy figures into the warzone universe, easier to do than with 40K!

regards from down under

BD Ford
Australia

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
Re: How surprised was I to find you?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 04:20:27 AM »
The UWZ ruleset can be downloaded from a couple of locations.  I would suggest skipping 2nd edition entirely-it was not particularly popular.  For rules for 40k using warzone, talk to Archer-he is the master of such thing.

And finally, welcome aboard and no worries mate!
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 06:35:21 AM »
Welcome aboard our lil party barge on the internet ocean. Glad you found us. I recommend that you check the player locator section of the forum to see if any of our Australian members live close enough to you to get together for some games. If you need anything just ask. .
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline MadBrad

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 07:41:27 AM »
Welcome to our happy virtual insane assylum.   

Don't mind the residents, we are (mostly) harmless!

Glad you wandered in.  Feel free to post questions, comments, and pictures of celebreties in compromising pos....   errr.  skip that last one...

Cybertronic - Superior by design

E-Bay Handle: bradthemad

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 09:12:52 AM »
Greetings.  No matter what edition of Warzone you play, you'll find this community like no other.  Welcome.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Petru5

• Keeping eastern KC an UWZ!!!
    • Conn-Man Games blog
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 12:02:59 PM »
Yep, welcome.  I think you'll find these forums to be informative, funny and a lot more urbane than most.
"Game over, man! Game over!"
-Private Hudson

Offline Nighthawk

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 02:55:30 PM »
Hey! Glad to have another player on board. It would take some reading, but the UWZ rules are very easy to understand once you've tried them out a couple of times. It's kind of the best of both earlier editions of Warzone IMO.

Go here: http://liniafrontu.pl/index.php?docid=110 and left click on 'Listy armii'

There you'll get all the factions in UWZ with their stats including some more useful stuff. The army buildup sheet have some errors though, but other than that everything should be there. Very easy to use if you're building armies.

You'll find the UWZ rulebook in pdf at :http://www.mutantpedia.com/eng/Warzone.html click on 'Ultimate Warzone Rulebook thanks to Chribu & MCIC (112 MB ENG)'

There's bunch of other stuff on mutantpedia as well though. Other than that I'd recommend searching ebay if you want a physical copy.

Have a good one. :)

EDIT: found a copy of UWZ on ebay for 10.99 with buy it now. :) Here.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 03:06:40 PM by Nighthawk »

Wedge

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 04:10:54 PM »
Welcome!  Glad to have you aboard--finally!  You took long enough to get here!   :P  ;D

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 05:14:41 PM »
Yeah - what the rest have already said.  It is always great to see new folks.  Welcome!
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Sylvas

• Midwest Crusader
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008, 09:07:10 PM »
hola from the soon to be frigid northern USA...
eBay name: sylvas1970

Offline BD Ford

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2008, 05:47:06 PM »
Thanks for the warm if slightly demented welcome, guys.
It's nice to know there are still people as mad as me, who aren't (yet) locked up.

I am getting up to speed, have the UZW rulebook downloaded and will print it out soon as I put moh ink in the Canon 6000, its a six head printer and always running out of something.

I live in a remote part of Australia compared to most, not a capital city, so gamers are thin on the ground here but that's okay... I play alone using Charles Grant excellent book "programmed scenarios for wargamers" to allow an interactive "opponent". Solo play has a lot to recommend it - I can use whatever figures I like without someone going "Hey you cant use that, its not OFFICIALL..." blah de blah etc, this sort of thing is what drove me away from the GW type games, that plus the fact that each new set of rules A) totally supersedes the previous and B) moved the game farther away from what it was to begin with. I loved Adeptus Titanicus until they ruined it.

At least, when its MY living room, I play what I want.

cheerio

BD

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2008, 09:30:21 PM »
There's a respectable contingent of Cyberboard players, here, BD - Coil, Wedge, jjdodger, just to name a few.  Holler at them to get an internet game going!
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline BD Ford

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2008, 01:58:33 PM »
Cyberboard? Vas is das?

BD

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2008, 07:51:18 PM »
Do a Google search - you'll find all the info you need.  jjdodger, Wedge, and Coil are all good resources for this.

Wedge

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2008, 08:52:55 PM »
cyberboard.brainiac.com

Check it out!

Coil and I are currently playing a 2000 v 2000 (Devout & Stygian) battle in a ziggurat temple in the middle of the desert! 
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 08:54:35 PM by Wedge »