Author Topic: Morale  (Read 7039 times)

Offline Davesaint

Morale
« on: January 04, 2006, 12:38:09 PM »
While reading through the morale section of the UWZ book, it appears that the only thing that can trigger a moral test is the loss of 50% of a given units strength.  Is this correct?

Dave

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
Re: Morale
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 10:05:37 PM »
Certain spells and or special weapons cause morale checks.  Every loss to a squad beyond the initial 50% (or wounds if it's an individual) also cause morale checks.

what is your real question?

-PFC joe
Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 10:12:14 PM »
Nope.  There are several things that can trigger a morale check.

• If a squad that is at 50% or less of its orginal size loses another model(s), it is subject to test morale, again, after the unit that caused the test is activated.
  • If an Individual is reduced to 50% or less wounds, it must test, and test again for each subsequent wound, again, after the unit that caused the test has activated.
  • Some SA's cause tests.
  • Dire effects can cause tests.
  • Shooting into Close Combat is a morale test for those models which are not Elite or which do not have the Unscrupulous or Deadshot SA's - at -4 to the shooting model's LD!.

I may not have listed them all.  Little help, folks. ;)
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Davesaint

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 05:16:37 AM »
I was suprised that there is no adverse effect for losing close combat if you don't kill out 50% of the unit.

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 05:18:32 PM »
In battle, few expect that there would be no casualties.  Losing a squaddie or three is an accepted way of life.  Losing half the squad starts to unnerve guys, as now they start to think that their leadership isn't as good as it should be.  Any more losses make the other guys feel like their number is up next.  Cascading further, if the sergeant (or the guy who recieved the field promotion to that rank) can't get the squad back together, the squad really starts to lose it, and runs the risk of breaking or, at worst, becoming unhinged.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2006, 05:22:03 PM »
I was suprised that there is no adverse effect for losing close combat if you don't kill out 50% of the unit.

That's 50% or the original number; i.e.: a 12 model squad loses 5 models, and is fine.  Losing a sixth model causes a check.  A 13 model squad losing six models is fine, while the seventh causes the check.  A squad containing 13, originally, is down to 7, and loses 1 more during the next activation has to test, as the number of models has been reduced to half or below the original number.

A squad containing a sniper (or other model with the Form Fireteam SA) counts it's number as however many models are in the squad when losses are taken, i.e.:  A full squad of Trenchers has 12 Troopers, 2 HMG's, 1 Sniper and a Sergeant, for a total of 16 models.  Both HMG's and the Sniper Form Fireteam, early, so the squad's "original" number of models is, now, 13 (12 Troopers and the Sarge).
« Last Edit: January 05, 2006, 05:25:12 PM by dmcgee1 »

Offline PhillySniper

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2006, 05:52:04 PM »
What happens whit said Trencher squad when

They run into a infil squad or other early loss scenario before the HMGs and sniper can form fireteam? Do they count as losses as far as panic goes, when they do form fireteam?

Example 1

Jaegers infiltrate with a Jaeger Kaptain. The Kaptain reveals Trenchers and the jaegers kill 7.  Leaving 9. Then on activation the Trenchers form fireteam with the HMGS and the Sniper leaving 6. Do they them have to roll for panic?
Shoot First and ask questions later.

Homebase- Philadelphia
Ebay name. Phillychocolatem

Offline Davesaint

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2006, 08:27:27 AM »

That's 50% or the original number; i.e.: a 12 model squad loses 5 models, and is fine.  Losing a sixth model causes a check.  A 13 model squad losing six models is fine, while the seventh causes the check.  A squad containing 13, originally, is down to 7, and loses 1 more during the next activation has to test, as the number of models has been reduced to half or below the original number.

A squad containing a sniper (or other model with the Form Fireteam SA) counts it's number as however many models are in the squad when losses are taken, i.e.:  A full squad of Trenchers has 12 Troopers, 2 HMG's, 1 Sniper and a Sergeant, for a total of 16 models.  Both HMG's and the Sniper Form Fireteam, early, so the squad's "original" number of models is, now, 13 (12 Troopers and the Sarge).

I understand that it is 50% of the original squad strength.   This gives advantages to units with a larger structure, and makes it more beneficial to have full strength units rather than partial strength units to increase your number of activations.  For morale purposes, it is better to have a 12 man squad of samuai with a sargeant and it's specials and give them laser sights than a full squad of hatamotos with their leader and specials since on average, the samuai will have to make less morale checks, making their lower leadership less of an issue.

Dave

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
  • Your Benevolent Dictator
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2006, 09:30:19 AM »
What happens whit said Trencher squad when

They run into a infil squad or other early loss scenario before the HMGs and sniper can form fireteam? Do they count as losses as far as panic goes, when they do form fireteam?

Example 1

Jaegers infiltrate with a Jaeger Kaptain. The Kaptain reveals Trenchers and the jaegers kill 7.  Leaving 9. Then on activation the Trenchers form fireteam with the HMGS and the Sniper leaving 6. Do they them have to roll for panic?

I don't think so, since that reduction in squad size didn't come from casualties.  It might be in the FAQ, my memory is a bit fuzzy on the matter.  I do remember however that splitting your unit doesn't cause a morale test.
"You were engineered with such potential, Serpentor. But you lack the most important DNA of all... Mine!"
Homebase: Northern New Jersey
Ebay: Mokodoba

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2006, 12:35:59 PM »
Jibba is correct.  Recalculate the new "original" squad size.  Forming Fireteam is a Special Ability and does not affect Morale.  However, if they (the models with Form Fireteam) remain part of the squad, include them in the "original" squad size.

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2006, 09:14:54 AM »
Whoa!  I missed this one somewhere.  They're spot on with the Form Fire Team SA.  Only loses due to models being removed from being killed force panic checks.

-PFC joe

Offline Stalker

• FAQ Team
  • Mid-west Crusader / FAQ team member
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2006, 12:54:03 AM »
Whoa!  I missed this one somewhere.  -PFC joe

Tsk, tsk, tsk. Could the omniscient (sp?) Joe be slipping?   :o
If you shoot for the moon and miss, you are still among the stars.

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2006, 01:54:49 AM »
I never slip! though I do occasionaly miss a topic reply or two when i'm recovering from all too exciting weekends.

-PFC joe