Author Topic: Magic Watchtower  (Read 8411 times)

Offline Glenn M

Magic Watchtower
« on: December 07, 2008, 07:19:36 PM »
Earlier today I posted a link about a video game called Battle Realms, one of my favorite ideas they had was the floating watchtower, when one of your characters walked up to the base he teleported to the top, I always though it'd make a good wargame terrain piece, both small and interesting to the eye.

I am not finished yet, but here it goes.

First thing I did was grabbed an old CD as this is the perfect size for this project.  I then cut some 1/2" insulation board to match the size.  And carved it up to look like a stony base had been pulled forth from the earth.  I used some Hirst Arts cave tiles to make a small stairwell. 
The floating part is a hex made using the CD as a template. 

Next I made some mystical looking pillars along the edges, this is simply foamcore.  I am thinking I'll glue some glass gems to them to make them look better.

Now, after this I glued balsa strips along the edges of the foamcore hex.  I'll build up the railings from this.  I then took an empty plastic container (from some cut pineapple I got at Wal-Mart, a pop bottle would work just as well) and cut it to look all magicy.  The hex platform will rest on this, cutting the plastic just right was a bit hard to make it level, but I found the flattening the plastic made this easier.

So, here I am, I need to make the railing, and coat the foamcore with something to make it look better, probably just textured paint of some sort.  Then it all needs painted.  I plan to paint the clear plastic as well, but with really thin paints to leave it somewhat transparent, probably either purple, green or blue.  So far, I really like this project, all the work done so far was done in less than 2 hrs.  And it cost nothing, I had all the supplies handy (took me longer to find rubber bands to hold the wood in place than to get anything else), I suppose the total cost would be a dollar or two though.

As always, I love the comments and hopefully I have inspired you to try something a bit different.

Offline Jase

Re: Magic Watchtower
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 11:27:00 PM »
Very interesting. What's your thoughts rules wise on this structure?

Jase
"Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us."

Offline Glenn M

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 03:05:15 AM »
Pretty simple, when a model enters the enter of the base area, they teleport to the platform, if the platform is filled in such a way that no other figure can fit, the teleporting model is killed instantly.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 09:04:41 AM »
How cool would that terrain piece be on a Chronopia board??????????!!!!!!!!!!!

I like it both in construction and rules-wise, Glenn. 

Keep up the good work.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 02:49:42 PM »
*Applause*

Offline Glenn M

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 02:50:59 PM »

I am thinking I am not a big fan of the shroud and the top, I may remake them in the future.

EDIT:  Here is a different possibility for the shroud, this uses wire instead, it supports my figures alright, though I wouldn't put a Blood Totem up there.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 03:44:49 PM by Glenn M »

Offline Glenn M

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 06:53:35 PM »
Reworked and completed, I am much happier with how it turned out.

Offline Trollen

• Rafal Maj
    • HardOrc
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 08:05:38 PM »
That is much better now! Maybe some chineese symbols for those 3 white support 'stones' would give it a better look? In my opinion they are a bit too plain. Anyway it's a very unique terrain piece.

Offline Glenn M

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2008, 05:23:01 AM »
I was going to glue some gemstones on the pillars, however, I don't have any purple, so I need to grab some before I can do that, though I had actually forgotten.  Silly me.

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 06:48:19 PM »
Great work!
Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.

Offline Jase

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008, 11:27:47 PM »
Brilliant idea, brilliant execution.

Jase
"Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us."

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2008, 04:50:39 AM »
This is a great terrain piece!  Very inspiring as both something to have on the board, or even as an objective!
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2008, 09:51:56 AM »
very cool!!!  you could also use clear acrylic rods if you don't like the wire look.
Its not the dog in the fight, its the fight in the dog!

ebay "handle": irishdog143

Offline Alxbates

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2008, 08:20:49 PM »
Very nice work, Glenn!
Wan Chew Tree Faw!