Author Topic: This week in Geekdom 12/2  (Read 11504 times)

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
This week in Geekdom 12/2
« on: December 02, 2008, 01:07:49 PM »

Many cool weapons exist in sci-fi and in real life.... and as geeks, we all have a favorite weapon among them.  That being the case, what is your top threer favorite Sci-Fi weapons (RPG or movie) and what is your top three real-life weapons.

For me, my generally favorite weapon sci-fi oriented is the Aliens Assault rifle.  Big, bulky, multipurpose...  just plan cool..  It's followed closely by the blaster Han Solo carried then perhaps a tie between the Tau Pulse Carbine and Storm-Bolter from 40k

In RL, its a tie between the MP-5 series and the proposed XM8-series (an entire family of weapons truly related to each other).  The classic Thompson runs third and the BAR is on its heels.
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y

Offline wmeredith

• Ebay sig. 9390william.
Re: This week in Geekdom 12/2
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 05:21:13 PM »
Hello

For me the sci-fi weapon would be the shoulder weapon on the Predator in Predator, followed by the pulse weapons on Farscape. Game systems I like the Dark Reapers mini missile launchers for Eldar in 40k.

Real life I have been following the Tavor Rifle the Isreali's have been developing. Oldies there is the MP-38 and 1911.
Wise men say absolute power corrupts absolutely I am not a wise man.

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 06:36:44 PM »
Favorite "real" weapon is the Saw. It really rips up a target to pieces. Smaller bullet "tumbles" after a certain range whick allows it to react weird when it hits you. It can enter your leg and pop out your back.

Favorite "fantasy" weapon is the gattling gun used in Predator I.  It is really a bad habit.
Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.

Offline MadBrad

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 10:18:49 PM »
Best Sci-Fi weapons:  The Auto-Bot Sentries from Aliens, the wrist mounted machine guns from Star Trek Next Gen - I believe it was the first Q episode, where he takes the crew back in time for a trial in front of a very French Revolutionary looking mob.. - and the Blaster Rifles in Star Wars.   

Favorite real weapons:  M1 1903 Springfiled - bolt action goodness that served over 50 years in the US military. MP42 - Baddest light/med support weapon EVAR, and the RPG7 - No fancy, but it gets the job done.   
Cybertronic - Superior by design

E-Bay Handle: bradthemad

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 03:36:14 AM »
sci fi: FGMP-15 (or anything >15 for that matter  8))

real life: P90 or steyer aug
"Donīt anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 09:12:49 AM »
Real and Sci-FI all in one -  Bladed boomerang from Road Warrior

Also the Weirding Module - sonic MUAH-DEEB gun

Offline Sylvas

• Midwest Crusader
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 07:26:39 PM »
for me...

1.) the heavy machine guns that Vasquez fired in Aliens...I love the harness/stabilizer system that the gun used...

2.) the weirding device from Dune...anything that can make sound split a corpse is just cool...

3.) one word...Lightsaber...

as for the real, I am a German WWII buff and aspiring collector, and I personally like the MG42...tripod mounted, early models water-cooled (later ones were air cooled), and an impressive firing rate made it one of the most distinctive and deadly weapons on WWII...

B...
eBay name: sylvas1970

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 05:32:05 AM »
This has been a struggle.

Sci-fi:  The stormtrooper's blaster-it just has a good look to it.  Brutal but impersonal.  Although Star Wars created the light saber, Gundam created the beam Naganata (or double-bladed beam sabe/light saber) used by Char Anzable in his tragic battle with Amuro Ray.  Third would have to be the Valkyrie Battloid in all its variations-I consider it to be a weapon system in and of itself.  The first example of transforming mecha in a more practical setting.  Z Gundam may or may not have come sooner (I honestly don't know and don't care enough to look up) but its designs were more to sell toys than to demonstrate the practicality of a super-variable function fighter/mecah.

Real life
The CH-46E-it too is a weapon system and its ordinance is 2 XM-218 .50 cal machine guns and 8-12 hard charging US Marines.
The M-16 in all of its modern variations.  The AK is a peasant's weapon-effective, reliable, but lacking in accuracy and range. 
The MK-19.  40.  MM.  Grenade.  Launcher.  If you have ever fired one of these things it's love at first crump of impact.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008, 06:49:08 PM »
Sci-Fi weapon is from a book about the Mormon State of Desseret (post war) and was called the Chiller. It is a pistol that fires unique ammo. The firing pin pierces the bullet casing and sets off a chemical reaction that provides the propellant. Made a  small coughing noise when fired. I also liked the mastoid critic communications device between the agents and control. When compromised the agent was executed by setting off a small charge built into the critic. As it was located in the area behind the ear it might have been a small charge but it was enough.

Favorite real world weapons are the AK-47, the Ruger p-85 pistol or a Colt .45 (pre 80's series)and a good knife. Simple rugged, and reliable.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2008, 06:54:23 PM »
The AK is a peasant's weapon-effective, reliable, but lacking in accuracy and range. 

In the jungle, forests and urban environments the range at which engagements are most likely occur negate the need for range and the accuracy is sufficient at the ranges employed. If I want to reach out and touch someone from a difference I would choose a modified .308 bolt action rifle or a 30-06. Again my choice is a bit old school but it is proven.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2008, 04:31:13 AM »
Ah, but it is in the urban environment that the -16 series has had some of it's furthest kills at targets over 800 yards away.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2008, 05:57:57 AM »
Ah, but it is in the urban environment that the -16 series has had some of it's furthest kills at targets over 800 yards away.

Which is an irony to this former pbi.
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y

Offline Petru5

• Keeping eastern KC an UWZ!!!
    • Conn-Man Games blog
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2008, 07:27:49 AM »
Sci-fi: 
1. I've always liked characters that used razor wit first, but were backed by cool weapons.
2. Judge Dredd's Lawgiver pistol.  What's not to like?  Six modes of fire for the same magazine (Execution (regular bullets), Armor Piercing, Ricochet, Incendiary, High Explosive and Heat Seeker).  Voice activation.  Blows up if someone else uses it.  Sweet!
3. Krull's Glaive

Real:
1. Luger P08 pistol.  I've always loved the look of this pistol.
2. NEOSTEAD's bullpup 12 gauge shotgun.  27" long.  13 rounds of shotgun love...Ouch.
3. Magpul Masada Assault Rifle System.  More accurate than the M16.  Accepts most M16 parts.  Modular, so you can switch between 7.62 & 5.56 ammo with the switch of a quick-change barrel.  Out of NATO ammo?  Fine, pick up the infidel's AK-47 ammo, switch the barrel and continue on your merry way.  Win-win.
"Game over, man! Game over!"
-Private Hudson

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2008, 07:32:32 AM »
Me likey that Masada System!

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2008, 08:35:29 AM »
Sci-Fi:
Definitely the lightsaber.

Real:
My real life experience of firearms is limited to what we used in my military service.

1. AK-5 assault rifle. A Swedish version of a Belgian design. I was a decent shot with it.
2. M-45 Submachinegun. A really old design but it is very reliable. Nothing much that can go wrong with it.
3. Ksp-58 Light Machine Gun. Pretty fun too shoot and ok as long as it was mounted on the truck. It wasn't as fun when you had to carry it cross country.
4. AK-4 assault rifle. Our name for the H&K G3, a heavy and clumsy weapon.