Author Topic: Inspiration for Sewers  (Read 7567 times)

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
Inspiration for Sewers
« on: January 05, 2006, 11:13:16 AM »
On the old forums we talked about making sewers from drainage pipes. I took a few pics at the local gaming club for your inspiration.

The plastic is a bit flexible and is was probably quite easy to cut. The slime on the floor of the pipe is probably made of glue, paint and varnish. Add some detail and you will have a very cool sewer board.

As you can see they have raised the pipes a bit from the ground so one could do a battle where you fought both outside and inside the pipes.

/Andreas

Offline Sylvas

• Midwest Crusader
Re: Inspiration for Sewers
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 05:32:48 PM »
here in the States you can buy at hobby stores a special beaded epoxy that you can heat up and pour into a piece of terrain for water...I'm sure that something like that exists overseas...

B.
eBay name: sylvas1970

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2006, 01:49:44 AM »
Those are fantastic.  A cheaper way to do the slime is to block the ends and pour in Elmer's Glue (not sure the technical term for it) since the slime effect is painted rather than based on a transparent medium.  You might be able to mix brown or green paint into the glue and pour it in several subsequent coats for a layered effect but I'm not sure how effective that would be. 
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Gallagher_Standard_Barer

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2006, 03:01:04 PM »
Elmer's glue, white glue, school glue and tacky glue are all different forms of PVA glue, which is short for Polyvinyl Acetate, in case you wanted to know the technical term.  Any yeah if you don't need any kind of transpancy or water effects PVA glue isn't a terrible way to do this.  I'd probably be more likely to go with a product like Envirotex lite tinted with a green wash for your basic stagnant murky sludge, then add woodland senics water effects if you want to create the illusion of motion.

I thought about doing a project like this once, but until I get unfettered access to a bandsaw I don't trust myself to make the cuts in the PVC  both consistant and smooth.  Though if you didn't glue the PVC joints this could make a really cool modular system...maybe someday when I have more time and more space to store my terrain.

Offline Stalker

• FAQ Team
  • Mid-west Crusader / FAQ team member
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2006, 07:09:03 PM »
maybe someday when I have more time and more space to store my terrain.

Yep,  I know EXACTLY what you mean
If you shoot for the moon and miss, you are still among the stars.

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2006, 10:43:55 PM »
Ditto.  The wife will not authorize $50 a month for a room at a storage lot just have a place to keep all my stuff.  Maybe I can work out a deal with my FLGS.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Stalker

• FAQ Team
  • Mid-west Crusader / FAQ team member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2006, 02:36:13 AM »
Maybe I can work out a deal with my FLGS.

It has been my experience that FLGS welcome terrain of any and all sorts.  I would look into this route but turn it to your advantage.  Present this issue as allowing the store to keep it there and have use of it in exchange for some fringe benefits.
If you shoot for the moon and miss, you are still among the stars.

Offline MadBrad

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2006, 09:31:30 AM »
Hmmm...

Paint the Sludgy brown and green on the base of the pipe, then cover with Clear Stuff?  Make it multi layered. Possibly mix some coarse turf mix into the glue or other liquid as well to give that.....well....you know...look? 

MadBrad
Cybertronic - Superior by design

E-Bay Handle: bradthemad

Offline PhillySniper

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2006, 10:34:44 AM »
One thing Ive seen used for sewers is the tubing from rolls of butcher paper or something similar. You spray it black, silver, white whatever. Then use paints to paint whatever youd like on the bottom of the tube, then cover it in a glossy coat <for the liquid shimmer>.

You can raise them off the ground by gluing popsicle sticks to the bottoms.

They are easilly cut, inexpensive and you double your usage by havng two sets of sewers from one tube. For easy bends you start the bend then cut it and seal it in that position with tape. Cheap simple easy.

Hope this helps.

Philly
Shoot First and ask questions later.

Homebase- Philadelphia
Ebay name. Phillychocolatem