Author Topic: Cheap Trains  (Read 5162 times)

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
Cheap Trains
« on: November 16, 2008, 05:40:06 AM »
I've always wanted to have a train for 28mm but the appropriate scale stuff is henously expense. Finally, the local Rite-Aid pharmacy has train boxed sets for $24.  IThe set consists of an engine, coal car, box car and trolley and some track.  It is the cheapest of the cheap but that makes it even easier to convert (you don't have to feel guilt about converting something expensive).  Next month I want to buy two sets, ditch the second trolley and use its wheel to build a passenger car or two.  Using other spare parts maybe I can make two or three other cars and have a decent sized train.  Done right, I can have a train usable for Warzone, 40K, Vor and even Iron Kingdoms if I so feel like it.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
Re: Cheap Trains
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 01:24:48 PM »
Like every terrain builder out there I've also been thinking of doing tracks and a train. The problem of course is cost. Real scale hobby stuff is expensive.

I think looking at toys is probably much cheaper and who cares if it should happen to be in garish colours. Primed black and drybrushed I bet even Thomas the Tank Engine could be converted to look evil. :)

Please post pictures of the conversion process when you get the train.

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 05:42:40 PM »
Yeah a train has been on my project list for awhile now as well......great minds and all that  ;)
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 03:31:18 PM »
In keeping with my prophecy, the trains are now half price.  Needless to say I bought two for $25 total.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!