Author Topic: Ashigaru and Arashi Leader  (Read 4417 times)

Offline Silently

Ashigaru and Arashi Leader
« on: November 13, 2008, 05:25:18 PM »
Here is my second set of questions (even though the first set is still twitching  ;D)   These are regarding Ashigaru:

a)  The profile for the arashi leader states that he has a Yari Shogun Assault Rifle.  No katana is listed.  But he is a ronin samurai, which means he should have a katana for CC, as described by both the miniature and by Mishima samurai fluff text.  Sure, I could glue a yari to the arashi's gun, and rip the swords off his back, but that seems like a cruel insult to the poor samurai, ronin or not.

Also, the Yari Shogun Assault Rifle does not allow further attachements, yet the arashi leader's has an underbarrel grenade launcher.

Should the official profile for the Arashi Leader be changed so he has a standard Shogun Assult Rifle, with the underbarrel launcher, and a katana?

b) Ashigaru grunt miniatures come with the yari as a seperate piece.  If I wanted to leave those off, would the trooper point cost go down since they would only be armed with a standard Shogun Assault Rifle?  The only reason I can think that I might want to do this is if the -2 MR modifier of the Yari Shogun becomes a real problem.

c)  Out of curiosity, was an ashigaru flamethrower figure ever sold?  I don't remember ever seeing one.

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
Re: Ashigaru and Arashi Leader
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 08:40:14 PM »
Here is my second set of questions (even though the first set is still twitching  ;D)   These are regarding Ashigaru:

a)  The profile for the arashi leader states that he has a Yari Shogun Assault Rifle.  No katana is listed.  But he is a ronin samurai, which means he should have a katana for CC, as described by both the miniature and by Mishima samurai fluff text.  Sure, I could glue a yari to the arashi's gun, and rip the swords off his back, but that seems like a cruel insult to the poor samurai, ronin or not.

Also, the Yari Shogun Assault Rifle does not allow further attachements, yet the arashi leader's has an underbarrel grenade launcher.

Should the official profile for the Arashi Leader be changed so he has a standard Shogun Assult Rifle, with the underbarrel launcher, and a katana?

Hmmm... never noticed that before.  But after reviewing the unit descriptions and such, I believe the *intent* was to have the Ronin Samurai stas listed.  Being that they cost the same, I would have NO issue saying it is actually supposed to be a Ronin there.

With Katana.

b) Ashigaru grunt miniatures come with the yari as a seperate piece.  If I wanted to leave those off, would the trooper point cost go down since they would only be armed with a standard Shogun Assault Rifle?  The only reason I can think that I might want to do this is if the -2 MR modifier of the Yari Shogun becomes a real problem.

The idea behind the Yari being on the rifle was more a way of showing the peasant nature of the Troops....with a Peasant's weapon in theri posesstion.   That the Yari does st +6 in CC is due to it being a two-handed weapon... whether mounted on the shogun or not.  The CC mod listed is the normal mod for many of the two handed weapons.

Most bayonets do the model's str+1 or +2, depending on the bayonet.

c)  Out of curiosity, was an ashigaru flamethrower figure ever sold?  I don't remember ever seeing one.

I think so... unless I am thinking of the Bushido one, which I know I have.

I'd take the Kensai LMG model and add a fuel tank somewhere....
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 09:44:17 PM »
No - no FT model was ever made - I've modified a few Ronin as subs but you can also sub in a Bushido one (maybe do a head swap or something if you want to mod it).

Eventually you'll have the same Q about the Crimson Devil GL & chem sprayer - so to hopefully help/inspire  you in advance - here are some sample conversions--

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 04:14:33 AM »

I would play it as it lies; in other words, yes, he is a Ronin, but he is in charge of Ashigaru, therefore, leads while using equipment suited to the squad.  There are other models that have been retasked without being re-sculpted (Free Marines have no swords, yet the model does.).

You are free to convert your models how you see fit.  It is your opponent who would have final say as to the validity.

I don't know, but will try to find out.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 10:47:29 AM »
A) As Dave states I woul play as is. He is a Ronin w/o swords and instead of the spear attachment he has a UBGL.
B) Same as Dave
C) No there was no FT model for that squad, you can paint the LMG model to look like a FT or use the Bushido FT painted to match the squad.
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline Silently

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 07:24:46 PM »
Thanks for all the responses.  What I will probably do as a result:

a)  As recommended, play the arashi leader as described.  Modify a ronin figure to add a yari to his gun and remove his swords.  Oh, the shame of it.  ;)

b)  Just leave the ashigaru figures with standard yari shoguns.  If those guns don't cut it with their range modifiers, field some ronin samurai instead.

c)  Figure a way to mod up a flamethrower ashigaru, if I decide I need one.  Thansk for the pictures WarzoneD.

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 08:00:03 PM »
http://www.princeaugust.ie/target_games/tg9535.html

The link is for Ashigaru figs from Prince August. First decide which fig you want to use and then if you want to use a Gehenna Puker or one of the two styles of GW Flamers.

I recommend using the upper fig of the two pictured. Also, I don't recommend using the Gehenna Puker. Too freakin hard to convert in my opinion.

The two GW Flamers are similar with one major difference. The one WarzoneD used has a fuel bottle and the other one looks the same but has tanks that mount on the Flamer Specs back. Making the flamer is the same up tp the tank stage.

Step 1 - Take the top fig and leave off the spear.
Step 2 - Cut off the barrel of the weapon
Step 3 - File the sides of the weapon down and trim the top and bottom to form a tab.
Step 4 - Take the GW Flamer and cut off the igniter front piece.
Step 5 - Use a pin vice and drill out two or three holes.
Step 6 - File the holes into a slot.
Step 7 - Fit the tab on the weapon to the slot on the igniter front piece.

Mounting the fuel bottle
- The fuel bottle can be mounted behind the foregrip hand  but I honestly think it would look wrong. I think it would look better mounted on the side like the magazine for a British Sten Gun.

Mounting the backpack tank.
-  If you use the tank that comes with the flamer then it should be fairly straight forward. ColdThunder actuually made a cool tank for a flamer conversion from a couple of old GW Space Marine shoulder pads and a piece of wire.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890