Author Topic: EDOG '09 Game Board  (Read 16321 times)

Offline Glenn M

EDOG '09 Game Board
« on: October 28, 2008, 03:53:13 PM »
Alright, this thread will be for my Erie's Day of Games '09 gameboard.  Right now, the plan is to build a 4x6 board, 4x2 of which will be a cavern system with 4-8 entrances, each entrance will be between 2" and 4" wide to allow passage of most models.  The caves will be widely open, with a fair few walls and obstacles to provide an interesting game experience. 
The outside will be a forest of giant mushrooms, land will be largely obscured and LOS will be a challenge.  It will not be possible to get on top of the mountain over the caverns (ease of play issue)  Prominent features will include a mushroom large enough to climb and place figures on/in as the outer edge will be grooved deep enough to securely hold a 1.5" base.

Other possible options would be removing the shrooms and making a forest of Crystals.
Sketches and proof of concept pieces to come.

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
Re: EDOG '09 Game Board
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 08:19:03 AM »
 Great idea Glenn.Cant wait to see this board.

Offline Alxbates

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 09:53:48 AM »
That does sound pretty awesome, Glenn - do you have a sketch or map showing what the basic layout will look like?

-Alex
Wan Chew Tree Faw!

Offline Glenn M

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 01:29:46 PM »
Sorry, been swamped with other stuff (and my scanner is broke), essentially if you were looking down at the board, with it being 4' high and 6' long, there would be caves for the first two feet, followed by a huge jungle of giant shrooms.  One of the shrooms will be larger enough to have a path running around the exterior that is climbable for stashing archers.  I need to think of some more key locations to draw attention to though.

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 05:30:00 AM »
 You could have the mushrooms linked by bridges.A bit like the Ewok's tree villages in Star Wars.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 07:46:19 AM »
Glenn this sounds good.  We know you've got a move and other stuff to contend with, so take your time, and post pics when you can.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 01:57:30 PM »
Perhaps this will...properly motivate you:

http://www.ironhands.com/endor.htm
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Glenn M

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 02:35:39 PM »
That is pretty sweet, I am thinking about buying some of thanksgiving gourds and casting them for huts actually.Perhaps if I mounted the halves upside down under the cap, that'd be pretty convincing as Swamp Goblin homes.

Offline Petru5

• Keeping eastern KC an UWZ!!!
    • Conn-Man Games blog
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 07:51:32 PM »
Or you could go to Hobby Lobby or Micheals and get the papier mache ones and cut them to fit your purposes.  Already made, not messy like real gourds, easy to cut & paint.
"Game over, man! Game over!"
-Private Hudson

Offline Glenn M

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 07:05:32 AM »
I was going to put paper mache over the real gourds and then peel it off, not use real gourds.

Offline Petru5

• Keeping eastern KC an UWZ!!!
    • Conn-Man Games blog
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 03:39:26 PM »
You could do that, too.  Either way, there's papier mache involved for the benefit of everyone!  My (and most likely yours, too) art teacher would be proud!!!
"Game over, man! Game over!"
-Private Hudson

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2008, 04:54:41 PM »
Mmmmm...paper mache...
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Glenn M

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2008, 02:16:12 PM »
I am considering what kind of building should be added to this board.  I am currently planning a cathedral style building that will be placed along the edge of the table, giving the illusion of depth. 

Picture something along these lines:
http://atlantica.ndoorsgames.com/center/pds/image.asp?media_type=2&loguid=1960596

Though I'll be running water along the frontal buttresses.

I am not certain of coloration so far, but I am leaning towards a green tinge to the stone.  I am currently sketching the floor plans, it is looking at being around 16" wide and maybe 11" deep, possibly deeper.  When I am done with my hand drawn sketches, I'll generate some files for the computer to show the floorplans.

Offline Glenn M

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2008, 02:59:47 PM »

The blue areas are water ways, the small blue rectangulars are waterfalls. 

I intend to build it primarily out of fieldstone with solid brick corner areas.

Offline Alxbates

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2008, 09:06:20 AM »
I like that design - a LOT.  Very nice idea, I love boards with water features incorporated into them.
Wan Chew Tree Faw!