Author Topic: Falling in Warzone..., again!!  (Read 9268 times)

Offline Caronte

• Journeyman
    • Rompememes
Falling in Warzone..., again!!
« on: October 25, 2008, 12:50:36 PM »
Hi everybody!

A couple of days ago I found again this forum active, so I was pleasantly surprised. I went on my Ultimate Warzone book and began to re-read the rules again. I'll try to involve my brothers in some games. It's a long time since my last game, so I must remember many things, although I am an old warzone player (from the 1st edition). I can recognize some nicks here, so I suppose that most of the old payers are still active (probably with childrens and all such kind of time consuming things ;D ).

OK, lets go into the question: I've been reading about damage from falling (pg 41), and the rules state that if a figure falls on another one, they both receive the same damage corresponding to the falling figure. However, I think there is something wrong here. Let's see an example:

1. An Ashigaru (SZ 2) falls from a heigh of 6'' on a Praetorian stalker (SZ 3): Both suffer DAM 10(x3).

2. A Praetorian stalker falls from the same heigh (6'') on an Ashigaru: Both suffer DAM 9(x2).

The same figures, the same heigh, but dependeing on who is falling the DAM is different. And my logic tells me that in the second case the human should receive more DAM (a bigger figure falling on him), and in the first case the Praetorian Stalker should receive less DAM than the human.

I think that DAM for the figure on the ground suffering the impact should be calculated as if such figure had fallen from the same heigh that the falling figure. In this way, in both examples the ashigaru suffers 10(x3) and the Praetorian stalker 9(x2).

Any suggestions?

I'm happy to be again the only Spanish player (but I hope it will change someday)  :D :D :D

Cheers to everybody and specially to Thom
"A strange game. The only winning move is not to play. How about a nice game of chess?"
WOPR
My band: PRENDDAS (aka ROGUES)

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
Re: Falling in Warzone..., again!!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 01:58:22 PM »
your proposel seems right..
unfortunately the rules state otherwise => houserule.

until now that was the basic policy regarding the "logic" of rules.

"Donīt anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 04:33:40 PM »
Wow - interesting.  I'll get back to you on that one.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 09:59:30 PM »
Beinvenidos a nuestra casa de Warzone y Chronopia.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 10:08:33 PM »
The falling damage material you suggest has been discussed before. I don't remember if it was play-testing UWZ or on one of the previous incarnations of the forum.  I'll try to see if I can jumpstart my brain and remember some of the stuff from those discussions.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Offline Caronte

• Journeyman
    • Rompememes
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 01:44:28 AM »
Thank you, boys!

And thanks for the Spanish wellcome Topkick  ;). Sorry if the question has been asked previously
"A strange game. The only winning move is not to play. How about a nice game of chess?"
WOPR
My band: PRENDDAS (aka ROGUES)

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 09:56:22 AM »
You misunderstood me. I was not dismissing the topic as I think it is one that should be discussed. I was merely commenting on previous conversations to stimulate mine and other long timers memories. If I can't find any notes about it maybe one of them can find something they saved.

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 09:58:29 AM »
You-re welcome. I learned Spanish in the Army almost 20 years ago. I look for opportunities to use it when I can.

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2008, 10:14:09 AM »
well, basically a discussion is moot, because the rule is clear and not misunderstood (i think?).

this is a case of rule-change, apparently.

along with the mortar-rules and the air-strike if you ask me (->imho).

@edit: if some kind of "inofficial rule-update" would start to emerge, i would happily add my opinion & experiences.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 10:16:09 AM by NoTrollNick »
"Donīt anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2008, 10:35:09 AM »
I don't think anyone has been discouraged from discussing rules and testing home rule variants, new units, etc. We have and I continue to say that in tournaments and at Cons the rules should be run as written as a general rule. That being said I have run scenario driven games before where the rules took a back seat to the plot in minor ways. I encourage players however in the privacy of their gaming group to make the game their own - as long as everyone has a good time.

I just ran a Bad Moons Rising scenario with the addition of a Cartel Agent (Van Owen) and a modified Praetorian Stalker (Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner) as a Halloween event for the group. I called it Bad Moons Rising II - Legend of the Headless Thompson Gunner. In addition to the two additional personalities I added some rules and changed the victory conditions.

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2008, 11:04:54 AM »
i know your opinion and i do resprect it.

i however belive, that over the time, things become apperent that should be changed.

they donīt have to and, yes as houserule itīt always ok.
but for me this is not enough, really...
i wish one (or even several, but i donīt see them..) "high authority" would publish a rule-update with "quasi-official state"
nothing like a new edition, but good suggestions.
and an appendix of "aproved houserules", perhaps.

seriously, chaining the air-strike to the number of officers.. i donīt know..
also, mortars are not really an option, imho, as a vehicle-mhmg will be better any day..

cuīs

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2008, 11:12:06 AM »
And I yours. In fact that is why I believe in promoting such discussions here. This forum is a great play testing ground and one of the hubs of Warzone/Chronopia activity. IF a rules update is in the future I am confident that this will be one of the places it originates. Maybe a House Rules Section should be added. Something to discuss with Thom. Josh you want to take point on this?

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2008, 03:25:49 PM »
I just ran a Bad Moons Rising scenario with the addition of a Cartel Agent (Van Owen) and a modified Praetorian Stalker (Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner) as a Halloween event for the group. I called it Bad Moons Rising II - Legend of the Headless Thompson Gunner. In addition to the two additional personalities I added some rules and changed the victory conditions.

That is too cool.  Please tell me you have pictures.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2008, 03:26:21 PM »
*wipes tear from eye*

All this nice-ness is makin' an Old Free-Lancer cry...  *sniff*
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2008, 03:45:21 PM »
Maybe a House Rules Section should be added. Something to discuss with Thom.