Author Topic: Cheap APCs  (Read 10876 times)

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
Cheap APCs
« on: September 29, 2008, 04:20:31 AM »
The beauties are from the knock-off GI Joes called "The Corps" and average $5-$15 for a set that usually includes other cool terrain like guard towers or missile trailers.  As you can see with some extremely minor kit bashing (i.e. adding a chain gun to the top) they make great APCs.  Since I already have a couple of scratcbuilt Imperial Vermins, these beauties will be Capitol Hound Dog APCs, described in the RPG sourcebook as being truck-like with a top mounted machine gun.  Scale wise the weapon on top is a Void 1.1 Viridian chain gun and a figure sits right behind it making it just about the right size.  I suppose if I wanted to be really hard core I could have scratchbuilt a cover over the window with vision slits to give it a more armored feel but at this point I'm starting to fall back behind the tide of pewter and plastic so anything that gets it to table quality is good enough for me right now.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 02:20:50 PM by Veez »
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Petru5

• Keeping eastern KC an UWZ!!!
    • Conn-Man Games blog
Re: Cheap APCs
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 07:44:37 AM »
Heh.  The company that makes The Corp is literally about 25 minutes from my house, in North Kansas City.  They have an annual warehouse sale where they blow out tons of figs and vehicles CHEAP.  I'll have to keep my eyes open!

They aren't too large for the 28mm scale?  It would seem like they are, unless they are 2-man vehicles for The Corp figs.
"Game over, man! Game over!"
-Private Hudson

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 08:57:04 AM »
If you take the top off (which is the 3 inch round part in the center) there is a seat for one figure.  They are too small to be a true APC for 4 inch figures but you can believe that 12 troops can fit in the back comfortably.

Let me know when the next one is, they have some other things I want-specifically a one-man fighter jet that would be great to build a 28mm squadron out of for scenarios.  Those are only about 6 bucks but rarely are there enough to buy more than one or two because they sell fast.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Petru5

• Conn-Man Games blog
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 09:12:57 AM »
I misspoke earlier.  They don't make them here (they're made in China), but the Lanard warehouse is here in KC.  Not that it makes any difference.

Don't forget that they also have the S.T.A.R. Force line of toys.  A little space action...could it be WZ meets Space Hulk?  THAT would be way cool!!!  The vehicles are actually the same as The Corps, just in white.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 09:23:41 AM by Petru5 »
-Private Hudson

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 09:18:37 AM »
I figured as much.

That has been talked about.

Offline Petru5

• Conn-Man Games blog
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 09:35:32 AM »
The pics of The Corps APCs I've seen don't look like the one you posted.  I'm wondering if they've changed their look.  I saw attack choppers, but not jets.  I'll have to ask my friend that games in that scale and owns a ton of The Corps stuff.  I'll see if I can't get some pics from him to show.
-Private Hudson

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 09:37:19 AM »
The usually come in boxed sets with other stuff.

As for the jets, they are in the same packages with the rafts with twin gatling guns on them.  They are a staple of the Wal-Mart toy aisle.

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 10:43:16 AM »
Don't forget that they also have the S.T.A.R. Force line of toys.  A little space action...could it be WZ meets Space Hulk?  THAT would be way cool!!!  The vehicles are actually the same as The Corps, just in white.

Space Station?! GIMMEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 10:57:55 AM »
Is there a link on the web some place?

Offline Petru5

• Conn-Man Games blog
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2008, 11:01:42 AM »
The best I've been able to find is this:

http://corpscollector.com/

It still doesn't do the pieces justice and it would appear that the APC design Veez is talking about may be relatively new and not on this site.  However, the STAR Force line is also on this site.
-Private Hudson

Offline Seamus

• Branch Incentives
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2008, 05:49:09 PM »
I like that.  I think this one would make a great APC. 

Seamus Muadhen
eBay: branchenterprisesinternational
email: dkidd23 AT yahoo DOT com

There is no security on this earth, there is only opportunity.
General Douglas MacArthur
US WWII general & war hero (1880 - 1964)

Offline Petru5

• Conn-Man Games blog
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2008, 06:33:09 PM »
That particular vehicle is identical to The Corps version, but with a different paint scheme.  The weapons mounted on it are different too, but one would probably take those off anyway.
-Private Hudson

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2008, 03:24:24 PM »
That one is a retread of the Corps stuff for their space brigade.  Larger than the ones I'm using but it would also work quite well I think!

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2008, 03:27:17 PM »
That one is a retread of the Corps stuff for their space brigade.  Larger than the ones I'm using but it would also work quite well I think!

It also looks like the old GI Joe APC.
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2008, 03:37:51 PM »
That one had a canvas top in the back (like a five ton); the front was about the same though.