Author Topic: the Forge of Ice, miniatures from Alex Bates - blog/preview thread  (Read 213740 times)

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
Re: the Forge of Ice, miniatures from Alex Bates - blog/preview thread
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2008, 08:48:50 AM »
Maybe make the numbers a bit bigger. I would also suggest taking a side view so that people see how high the tents stand
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline Alxbates

« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2008, 04:22:33 AM »
Okie dokie - I just altered the photo to have larger numbers, and submitted a news item to TMP with the adjusted photo.  We'll see how the response is when the news item runs.  After TMP posts it, I'll re-post to Frothers (I want it to go to TMP first, since TMP has always been my online home).

And I've found a sculptor for my Pterromen!  Pteronadon-men, (AKA Mahars) for Pulp Lost World settings like Pellucidar.  I hope to have photos of in-progress greens in the next few weeks.

-Alex
Wan Chew Tree Faw!

Offline Alxbates

« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2008, 05:16:14 PM »
There was a shooting at the bar I work at last night - some guy shot another guy in the face and neck, about ten feet in front of me.

During the ensuing ruckus, I got another finger broken.  I'm not sure exactly how this will affect my Forge of Ice, but it definitely won't speed anything up.

I'm talking about what happened over at TMP:

http://theminiaturespage.com/plus/msg.mv?id=143892

I'm fine, and the shooter is in jail, but I suspect I'm gonna need surgery to get the break set correctly.  Bah...
Wan Chew Tree Faw!

Offline Glenn M

« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2008, 05:56:11 PM »
Remind me to never go and visit your bar . . .

Sucks about your finger, hope it heals well so you can paint.

Offline Nighthawk

« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2008, 03:06:58 AM »
Insane. You're one of the Watchmen right? Hope all heals well with your finger and all.

Offline Alxbates

« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2008, 12:58:10 PM »
I've been a bouncer for about a decade now (13 years, on and off).

It's usually a good time.  :)

I just got an email from the caster that the Peafowl and a few other bits all arrived safely, and he expects to get masters cast within the next three weeks.  (It's a relatively long wait because I don't buy separate master molds for my figures, I wait till there's space on other peoples molds.  It reduces my costs significantly, but takes a bit longer).

I'll post an update as soon as I've got one.

-Alex
Wan Chew Tree Faw!

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2008, 03:59:18 PM »
  Nice update Alex.Looking forward to seeing what else you have planned.

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2008, 05:44:00 PM »
Write it all down Brother so you can keep it straight. Some scumbag of an attorney will try to trash every word of your testimony and if you were 10 ft away and facing the incident you will be sitting in the talking chair when the case goes to court. Also, watch your ass - you never know if the shooter has friends just a stupid as he is.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline DrFritz

« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2008, 08:37:08 PM »
My God Alex,

There are many days when I miss gigging at bars.  But when I read or hear stories from you, holy crap, I'm glad I'm only a classical musician these days.  More to the thread, I'm excited to see the pea**** in production.  My game of choice lately has been Battlelore - which is a "board game."  I think your pieces would fit very well into the system there.  I have been pondering a few ideas about that.  I'll show you my stats for the creature soon!

Cheers!

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2008, 07:26:27 AM »
I'm thankful you're alright Alex, as are we all.  Take care of yourself man!!
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Alxbates

« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2009, 08:20:53 PM »
Hey everybody-

So I just got home from surgery on my hand… apparently the Physicians Assistant who saw me in the E.R. was worthless, it's not my finger that's broken – it's my hand. My doctors appointment went well this morning, but since it's now 2 weeks from the time of my injury, the doctor wanted to do surgery on me as soon as possible. I skipped breakfast this morning, so "as soon as possible" meant "immediately". I went straight from the doctors office to the hospital operating room.

I'm kind of loopy at the moment from the anesthesia and Percocet, but the Toradol is supposedly keeping the swelling and pain down.. which I'm a little skeptical because it hurts *really* bad, worse than the initial break. The broken bone is in my hand (the 4th metacarpal) and apparently hasn't healed much in 2 weeks. However, it is bent at a funny angle (downwards, towards the palm of my hand), and also rotated! With the splint off, when I try to make a fist, my ring finger turns sideways and points toward my thumb.

This is of course unacceptable, so the doctor put a pin through my hand from my knuckle to my wrist. Because of the nature of the pin, it is actually sticking out of my skin and visible (although I haven't seen it yet because I'm wrapped up in bandages).

WOW. I can sure feel it though!

The doctor wants me to take two whole weeks off of work, but there is just no way I can afford that. Maybe it's time to Ebay some old miniatures or something, or hit up the bank of Mom (*argh*) for a short term loan. I don't know what I am going to do.

I'll have some peafowl and other bits back from the caster in a few weeks, putting those up for sale will probably help, given the positive response I've gotten from the pictures of the greens.

I also got a couple of updates on the shooting incident that led to my hand getting broken. It looks like the victim of the shooting is only paralyzed from the waist down, the swelling isn't as bad as they originally thought. That's still terrible, but it's good news since a few days ago they thought he would be paralyzed from the neck down.

The shooter isn't even going to trial until March, and I haven't heard any mention at all about charges being pressed against the couple who drove the shooter from bar to bar looking for the guy he shot. You would think those guys would be in deep deep serious trouble too, but if so word hasn't hit the newspaper or local rumor mill.

And that's about all I got for the moment. I think I'm going to go pass out now and sleep for 14 hours!

Hope you all have a good weekend!

-Alex in Alaska
Wan Chew Tree Faw!

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2009, 06:35:01 AM »
Don't you get workers comp for this?  I thought it happened at work while you were doing you job?

Oh yeah, and sue the *astard!
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Glenn M

« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2009, 07:33:50 AM »
Veez has a very good point, you should be getting compensated through work for this.  You were working when you got injured, now it may have been extreme circumstances, but none the less, you were at work.

Anyways, I'll dig through my check book and see if I can make an order. 

Offline Alxbates

« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2009, 07:55:40 AM »
Oh, yeah, workers comp is going to cover my lost wages, but not the lost tips (about 20% of my income), and they won't send me the check for several months.  I'll get by - my boss is a great guy, I'm sure he'll forward me some money till then if I ask.
Wan Chew Tree Faw!

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2009, 08:10:23 AM »
 Good to know you got the hand sorted.
 If I had spare cash I would have ordered some of your tents by now.But things are hard over here.Should be sorted in a couple of weeks.