Author Topic: Miniatures Wish List  (Read 13215 times)

Offline jjdodger

• Board Member
Re: Miniatures Wish List
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2008, 02:40:20 PM »
for those of you with access to 3d design software (cad, etc..) there IS an option..   http://www.akibanana.com/?q=node/959

its a 3d printer! you provide the design, they provide the mini. it can create a 10.5" high figure for about $90 (not sure what the exact conversion rate is, but that should be close). but! nothing says you couldnt create a "sprue" of minis, attachments, etc, and have them "printed" as one piece! can even be "pre-painted" at the same time! there are a few examples on the web site of what people have made. print resolution is VERY high!

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2008, 05:15:12 PM »
Plastics!!  Never!!
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Petru5

• Keeping eastern KC an UWZ!!!
    • Conn-Man Games blog
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2008, 05:31:50 PM »
Plastics!!  Never!!

I guess I'm not as picky as you.  If I could draw a decent 3D mini or sprue of minis, I'd do it!  The things that can be done with plastics today is amazing.  The new WH40K (I know, I know, I blasphemed...20 lashes with a wet noodle for me) starter set's figs look outstanding and not nearly as static as their Macragge ancestors.
"Game over, man! Game over!"
-Private Hudson

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2008, 09:18:38 PM »
yeah... sad but true.. pewter IS the favorate due to feel,

but i see the advatages of plastic... once i build 15 empire freelancers (?) (2-W support troops) in many poses/weapons, and that was long before the recent sprues.

also, if you drop plastic, much, _much_ better outcome..

hell, if even cars are plastic, why shun away?

(...i sense a market for thick lead-bases  ;D ::))
"Donīt anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2008, 04:03:30 AM »
I'd argue that the Warzone got its start in plastics-how many of us old-timers supplemented our armies with figures from SoTC and FoTC and such?

What someone who had money and time (i.e. none of us) could do is create a generic body form with torsos, legs arms, heads, kit and weapons that could be swapped out.  Various sprues could resemble the corporations but not necessarily be the corporations (those imperial WWI helmets are not copywritten anywhere-neither are berets, german style helmet or cyborg heads) that can be swapped out.  It could quietly attract 40k players as ways to create your own IG units and personalize them.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Gun-Moll

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2008, 07:54:39 AM »
Great idea but design wise not as easy as it sounds unless you want fiures to look like the old style wooden soldiers or the plastic green army men.

Form fit and function would deteriorate quickly with a limited run on the molds and the existing fits would not after X number of castings or mold runs if you prefer.

IN other words while you cold do it for yourself and a few buddies major manufacture would require even identical molds to be segregated to insude fit.  QC QA on them would be nasty and you would be making multiple fixtures for the product.

Investment would exceed profit 9 out of 10 times.

Thats not to say....Hand crafting is not an option.  Heads and such are foiund in various places but set static figures not so easy.

Offline JonatanRaven

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2008, 04:19:22 AM »
for those of you with access to 3d design software (cad, etc..) there IS an option..   http://www.akibanana.com/?q=node/959

its a 3d printer! you provide the design, they provide the mini. it can create a 10.5" high figure for about $90 (not sure what the exact conversion rate is, but that should be close). but! nothing says you couldnt create a "sprue" of minis, attachments, etc, and have them "printed" as one piece! can even be "pre-painted" at the same time! there are a few examples on the web site of what people have made. print resolution is VERY high!

Do they have some kind of service where you can order anything yet? The webpage was rather hard to navigate IMO..
Quoth the Raven Nevermore!

Offline jjdodger

• Board Member
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2008, 07:56:31 AM »
No idea.. there are probably companys here in the states that have the same service, that one is somewhere in japan, and, if i recall, using american printers.