Author Topic: Mutant Chronicles (and latest 40K eye candy in a box) Review at AICN  (Read 11314 times)

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
Re: Mutant Chronicles (and latest 40K eye candy in a box) Review at AICN
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 05:16:40 PM »
Seems like a balanced review.  I doubt their version of the game will have any effect on the crew around here.  If it's a good way to show the youngsters tabletop games they can always move up to our games.   :D
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 05:42:29 AM »
The new 40K figs do look very nice IMHO. I saw them this weekend and for plastics - they have much more detail than 2 years ago.

I still haven't tried the new MC game. I guess if someone tried it and really wanted a game and I had nothing better to da at the time, I would try it.
Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 05:48:05 AM »
I think ultimately for all my gripes and groans, it's just another game system that I don't have the time or inclination to play.  You don't paint the figures so that's thrill is gone for me and conversions would be the devil on that soft plastic they use.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Petru5

• Keeping eastern KC an UWZ!!!
    • Conn-Man Games blog
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 06:21:05 AM »
I would like to try it, but not necessarily buy it to do so. 

For me, the fact that I've purchased many WZ figs kind of ruins the new MC game.  My first thought is that I already own an incarnation of this particular universe, so why spend $30 on a starter set and $20 for squad boosters when I can spend that chunk o' change on some WZ goodness?  My second thought is that I am already deeply monetarily into HeroScape, another set collection game.  Why start another addiction, except to satisfy my OCD?

Having said that, if I try it and really like it, then...perhaps...I'd buy into it.  Fortunately, I have a gamer friend of mine that prefers 54mm figs and really enjoys the MC universe.
"Game over, man! Game over!"
-Private Hudson

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 06:25:37 AM »
Of course one can always use the stats provided and ignore the scale and just use the MC figs we already have. 

That said, I'm still not buying it.

I will say, it must be a dissapointment to FFG that they waited all this time to release it in conjunction with the movie which has subsequently flopped.  I can't even tell if it has been released over here or not.

Offline Petru5

• Conn-Man Games blog
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 06:31:44 AM »
I will say, it must be a dissapointment to FFG that they waited all this time to release it in conjunction with the movie which has subsequently flopped.  I can't even tell if it has been released over here or not.

Evidently it will be in theaters come December.  I thought it would be a direct-to-DVD release, but I've read differently.
-Private Hudson

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 06:40:42 AM »
December?  How asinine.  It's already on DVD in Europe and they are waiting that long.  Obviously these people's financial sense is as sharp as their script writing skills.

Offline Petru5

• Conn-Man Games blog
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 07:04:01 AM »
That doesn't surprise me because it was a European-made film.  What's even worse is that it was direct-to-DVD in Europe, whereas it's on the big screen here.  Hollywood is truly searching for anything interesting and novel nowadays!
-Private Hudson

Offline Nighthawk

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2008, 06:34:15 AM »
It's already on DVD in Europe and they are waiting that long.

This is a forum post by Tom Jane on Sept. 4th on the Raw Forums.

"this should NOT be out on DVD anywhere! Christ. why are people reviewing the damn film when it's not even finished, AND taking it as if they are watching a finished product AND not even mentioning the FACT that they are seeing the film ILLEGALLY!!!!

no two ways about it. all these assholes are reviewing the film in an illegal capacity, and talking about it like they are official ****ing purveyers of sanctity.

i don't claim the film to be a masterpiece - even when it's done. but **** like this i think will pretty much kill this film's chances of ever getting done. we need financing for the last few FX and editing, and it's gonna be tough to get it with every damn mook on the web seeing the film already. what's the point?"

That doesn't surprise me because it was a European-made film.

aaauch, my eyes/ears/toes!  :o

Doesn't surprise you because it was a European made movie?!? Just an example, It was shot in England just like Alien 1-3. They had a British director like Alien.. But then it must mean those movies were European made movies wouldn't it? Well, yeah, but it was financed and written by Americans.. MC is written and financed by Americans, but it's a world originally created by Swedes.. I wouldn't care If I had a crew of Eskimos on my movie and we shot it in Zaire, it's about who you can afford, and how good they are at their jobs. I guess ignorance is bliss. Yay ;)

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2008, 06:55:33 AM »
Interesting.  I wonder if this is the rant of an angry actor or if its true that these are pirated and not final copies out there.  I defer to our European friends for the answer to this one.

Offline Petru5

• Conn-Man Games blog
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2008, 07:22:12 AM »
Doesn't surprise you because it was a European made movie?!? Just an example, It was shot in England just like Alien 1-3. They had a British director like Alien.. But then it must mean those movies were European made movies wouldn't it? Well, yeah, but it was financed and written by Americans.. MC is written and financed by Americans, but it's a world originally created by Swedes.. I wouldn't care If I had a crew of Eskimos on my movie and we shot it in Zaire, it's about who you can afford, and how good they are at their jobs. I guess ignorance is bliss. Yay ;)

I think you misunderstood me.  I was merely stating that since it was a European-made movie, it stood to reason that it be released in Europe first (much like the French movie Brotherhood of the Wolf, any of the Russian 'Watch' series and countless board games).  Of course, I didn't know it was evidently released illegally.  It wasn't a knock on quality of product, although Highlander II should very well have stayed in France.
-Private Hudson

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2008, 07:31:33 AM »

Highlander II should very well have stayed in France.

More like it should have stayed in Hell. ;D

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2008, 08:44:23 AM »
well, if it is a leaked version its pritty much done.. i donīt see any fx missing.. computer graphics of the maschine, explosions, credits... it really seems to be complete and not a beta.

@sharing: hot toppic but i say anyway: i will spend my hobby-funding, no matter how much i leech.. (which i do not so much as my day only has 24h.. no point in 1000 films..)
that discussion is flawed by ppl who want to excuse why their stuff does not sell. if 10 euro is asked for a cheesy new batman/superheroe/.. whatever i may not want to pay and only sacrifice time because low interest.
if itīs indiana jones 4 i will not load it but go to the movies.. same goes for music (-> concerts, conserve-buying is history, face it..) or anything else..

p.s. IF the mc movie shows up on screen i will go, because i am a fan and i want the big screen-experiance. but if not, i wonīt buy it since you can not actually use it more than perhaps 2 times...
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 09:02:37 AM by NoTrollNick »
"Donīt anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."

Offline Petru5

• Conn-Man Games blog
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2008, 10:04:14 AM »
IF the mc movie shows up on screen i will go, because i am a fan and i want the big screen-experience. but if not, i wonīt buy it since you can not actually use it more than perhaps 2 times...

My thoughts exactly.  I'll rent it if it's a DVD-only release, but I very rarely buy movies nowadays.
-Private Hudson