Author Topic: What constitutes a winnable tourney army?  (Read 9578 times)

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
What constitutes a winnable tourney army?
« on: September 05, 2008, 08:38:47 AM »
Ok...  considering all the opinions out there on such, what really constitutes a viable, tourney winning and fun army?

I know I'm a fine one to talk about this or even be asking... but I am curious what folks think is such.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 09:52:26 AM by Archer »
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y

Offline MadBrad

• Member Emeritus
Re: What constitutes a winnable tourney army?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 10:22:54 AM »
My thoughts....

Viable.  If the force meets the needs of the scenario, it is viable.   Having CC in a densely terrained board, Hazmat suits or Survival training in hostile environments, good range troops in open fields, etc.  Based on style of play, having some fast units, paratroops or infiltrators may also add or detract from the "viability" of the force.   

Winnable.  If the force is viable, and you know your troops well, as well as the capability of your opponent's, it should be a winnable force.

Fun...that is entirely the realm of the player, not the army!   You can have fun in any game, even if you cannot win, if you have the right attitude.   Winning is satisfying, to be sure, but having fun should be independent of winning or losing. 

Hope that adds something to the conversation that makes sense. 
Cybertronic - Superior by design

E-Bay Handle: bradthemad

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 11:53:25 AM »
Is this strictly for the Warzone gang, or can a Chronopia player sneak in as well?
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 12:06:56 PM »
I think it is applicable to both games!
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 12:17:54 PM »
I think it is applicable to both games!

As do I.
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 12:26:44 PM »
if EVERYTHING needs to be covered, its impossible to answer..

if you know there may be heavy terrain effects, of course the appropriate load outs.
scenarios may also call for special composition

but apart from this, i think several meat-shilds and as many MHMG as possible. alternatively RL, but not to many, as they tend to be very costly and inflate your elite-squads (or cost you the other specs avalible. i like grenades/GL even more than RL)
grunt RL  are a waste of time, imho..

i would also say not to many elite troops, just 1 of the best.
these guys are so expensive (and mostly die as fast as the grunts) that you should not risk fielding a small army..

=> meat shilds, behind some heavy hitters, be it HMG heros, vehicles or things like the (squad)scorpion.

i feel that if you can put of the "you wasted my shilds but now stand in the open and die" game
or the
"you stand back, but your lousy 6-8 wait actions (3-4 shots, ~2 hits) are not enough to stop my swarm+annihilation behind the swarm" game

you are generally in a good position.

of course, this is a very general tactic, but without any further information about the circumstances, thatīs the best i have to offer

my 750 P capitol proposal (again i say, 2 grunts / support is to restrictive, it should be 2 units..)

Unnamed750 Pts  -   Capitol: Navy Army

1 Major Maria Del Torres @ 42 Pts
     Laser Sight
1 Blood and Guts Lt. Colonel @ 48 Pts

4 Assault Marines @ 166 Pts
     1 Assault Marine Sgt. @ [29] Pts
     1 Assault Marine Grenadier @ [33] Pts

5 Heavy Infantry @ 154 Pts
     1 Heavy Infantry Sgt. @ [24] Pts
     1 Heavy Infantry Sniper @ [35] Pts

5 Heavy Infantry @ 154 Pts
     1 Heavy Infantry Sgt. @ [24] Pts
     1 Heavy Infantry Sniper @ [35] Pts

2 Orca MK III @ 182 Pts
     2 Orca Heavy Infantry HMG @ [54] Pts

Total Army Cost: 746
"Donīt anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 01:19:17 PM »
Well you could go with something relatively balanced, with any game, or you could go for the one trick pony army, and as long as you know your army and have played it often enough, you may get lucky and win either way.  I've played expensive Dwarf Armies with few missile troops and had some victories, and also more balanced forces.  Usually a tourney will have objectives, and wild terrain like man-eating plants, so I think at least for Chronopia, having a balanced force in a tourney will at least guarantee a chance at success.

The boards at tourneys are usually all out in terms of terrain, so having a mix of troops to deal with various challenges is better than what you might normally throw down with at home. 
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Sylvas

• Midwest Crusader
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 02:29:32 PM »
I find that you need to have a good balance, using a fair amount of large grunt units to soak up some damage, while having heavy-hitting elites and/or individuals to turn the tide of battle...

B...
eBay name: sylvas1970

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 04:03:52 PM »
In a similar game I went for what I thought was a well-rounded army but did not have any good close-combat troops so when I did close I got my touchas handed to me.  Lesson learned...in pewter (and plastic) blood!
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Sylvas

• Midwest Crusader
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 09:46:26 PM »
In a similar game I went for what I thought was a well-rounded army but did not have any good close-combat troops so when I did close I got my touchas handed to me.  Lesson learned...in pewter (and plastic) blood!

the only time I'm really worried about this is when I decide to play Cyber...usually, it's my shooting that lets me down, since I mainly play Mishima...
eBay name: sylvas1970

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2008, 11:07:21 AM »
On the evil side I find an Illian Army some basic DL back up has a nice mix of troops (I just can't seem to live without my Destroyer squad). 

On The Corp Side I gotta say (and i'm sure I'm in the minority) I like Imperial's troop choices - for CC I love me some Headhunters and have done well in local tourney's with them.

Offline Kaile_Bloodhammer

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2008, 05:24:16 PM »
Q:What constitutes a fun and winning tourney army?

A: My Dark Legion

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2008, 09:31:12 PM »
 ::) at least post it...
"Donīt anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2008, 04:46:44 AM »
::) at least post it...

Considering he's never been in any of the tourneys I've run or played in.... I'd like to see it too. :)

Or face it on the 22nd should he make it.  I'll have one of my successful lists with me for thumping or getting thumped. ;)
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Tradition."

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2008, 05:28:26 PM »
A well rounded force meets all of your criteria. Of course with open fields of fiire snipers and RlLs thrive. They are not so great for closer ranges. At closer ranges (limited visibility etc) HMG, LMG and flamers thrive. A well rounded force IMHO would be a force that contains HMG's/LMG's like the 750 point one above. These contain a wider band of ranges that may be used. Most tourneys (and Talamania) have several different boards with terrain/environment obstacles to overcome. A rule of thumb I use is - does this squad/individual able to perform on most if not all types of board? If yes then it is well rounded.  It doesn't mean I equip everyone with haz suits etc. If I have points left I consider it,for a squad or two. Even better if it comes with the squad as standard equipment.
Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.