Author Topic: Crocodile Games Spartans Wave 2 released!  (Read 6813 times)

Offline Alxbates

Crocodile Games Spartans Wave 2 released!
« on: August 09, 2008, 08:25:51 AM »
Well... this definitely counts as "off-company", but these minis are just too cool to pass up:

http://www.crocodilegames.com/news_detail.asp?ID=128&Month=&Year=2008

Three named characters from the battle of Thermopylae (in the Wargods setting, the battle was between Spartans and Titans), a unit of peltasts, and a chariot.

I love those character models so much... I think I'm gonna end up trying to come up with uses for them in all the games I play.

Some sort of Sons of Kronos nobles loaned out to the court of the One King, hence their unusual and archaic style gear?  Maybe a shield swap'd be all you'd need to integrate them into your army.

These guys scale really well with the oversized Chronopia figures, too.

Just wanted to share the news item with ya'll.  :)

-Alex in Alaska
Wan Chew Tree Faw!

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
Re: Crocodile Games Spartans Wave 2 released!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 01:02:32 PM »
Damn you Alex!!  I didn't need to see those!!  They rock!!
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline MadBrad

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 02:31:45 PM »
Stunning figures!   I think a need a few of those....

Cybertronic - Superior by design

E-Bay Handle: bradthemad

Offline Southpaw

• Board Member
  • The Board
  • I see lead people.
    • Topkick's Trading Post
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 05:48:05 PM »
Very nice miniatures. Definite use in Chronopia...seeing as how the Olympus rules aren't even out yet...

But..then again...little choice to use them in anything other than what they were made for, seeing as how the rulebook *still* isn't out yet.....

Still alot of Aegyptus figures to be done...oh wait...those aren't out yet either.....

*snicker*

Don't get me wrong, I like the figs, I am even working on two Aegyptus forces (Anubi/Asar/Khemru and EoD). I've just always had a problem with Croc's abysmally slow release schedule, and working on the Olympians when there are still glaring holes in the Aegyptus fig line, and have been since day one...which was...how many years ago???

SP

Webmaster/Manager
Topkick's Trading Post

The one truth of the Dark Lord is this: death is inevitable, flesh decays, and power commands...

From The Scrolls of the Dead
Negral Zar'akin

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 09:23:22 PM »
Dang Southpaw - You seem a bit snippy. Did you have to talk to the ex today or something?  ;D
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 03:36:03 AM »
Now all you need to do is make a pit of doom to kick enemy messengers in to. 
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Alxbates

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 08:07:54 AM »
Heh... I'm a huge Aegyptus fan, and I've gotta say, since the Ghouls have been released, there really aren't any huge glaring holes in the Aegyptus range.  Race-speficic chariots would be nice, but aren't really a hardcore "need", the generic chariots are fine.

Anubi or To-tanem with spears or Pole-arms would also be nice, but I've seen some simple and effective conversions that represent them quite well.

Sebeki or To-tanem with missile weapons?  Well... maybe... but that seems like a really odd choice of armament to me.

The recent release of weapon packs makes so many more options incredibly easy to put together.

To-tanem Colossus?  He's already been available (as a pre-cast sample) at some conventions, and should be officially released pretty soon.  Same with the Artifex.

And there's any number of "stone giant" or "big statue" models that have been widely available for years, to use as a Colossus, and the To-tanem character models all work just fine for an Artifex.

I think that more than anything else right now I want to see a Typhon Hunter Aspect model - the Typhon with the scorpion body - maybe some sort of multi-part figure with alternate human and Typhon torso's (for Asar Hunter Aspect Harbingers of Set as well as Typhon...), and maybe even a separate "faceplate" type bit to make the model useable as just a plain old "normal" giant scorpion.

The other comment about the slow release schedule is understood - it's frustrating.  I want lots and lots of miniatures, and I want them all now!

This sort of comment crops up fairly regularly on the Croc forums:

http://www.crocodilegames.com/newforum/index.php?showtopic=3217

I'll add in my standard (and mostly-serious) reply - Crocodile Games releases miniatures faster than I can paint them.  As for the Olympus releases, well, Croc Games is a very small company.  They don't want to release a rulebook without any playable armies to also release at the same time, but I also suspect that they don't want to put thousands of dollars worth of greens on a shelf and let them sit gathering dust while the rules are being worked on... so, they cast up and release the greens as they're sculpted, which results in figures being available before the final rulebook.  I don't have any inside or secret info on the company, but it's a reasonable guess, I think.

That said, there is an Olympus playtest manual available in the Croc online store - and the staff listens to customer feedback, if you play with the playtest rules and post comments about them, you're adding valuable information to the brain trust.

Alright, I'll get down off my soapbox now...

-Alex in Alaska
-Crocodile Games Camp-Follower
Wan Chew Tree Faw!

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 11:08:15 AM »
Makes you wonder why anyone would get into this business.  Sigh.   ;)
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Alxbates

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 08:28:25 PM »
uff-da.

Amen.

Trying to have a few figures commissioned and produced myself has given me a hugely different perspective on things.
Wan Chew Tree Faw!