Author Topic: The Charnel Golem Stats!!  (Read 78748 times)

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
The Charnel Golem Stats!!
« on: July 29, 2008, 07:08:44 AM »
These are from the Old Silverback, but he wants everyone to playtest this before it's set in stone.  This thread will be only for playtest notes, so please keep the chatter down to a minimum.  I have a pdf but can't get it to stick to the forum, so I'll be sending it to all and sundry who are more computer savvy than I am to help.  In the meantime, enjoy the model, and have fun.

CC:13  RC:8  PW:0  LD:8  AC:3  WD:3  ST:6  MV:3  AR:22  DEF:0  SZ:3  CT:90

Special Rules:  Immune to Hand-Held Missile Weapons,  Cannot Run,  Cause Revulsion*, Writhing Tendrils (4)**, Absorption***

Equipment: Bone Tooth Hammer, ST +8 for a total of 14

Requirements: A single Charnel Golem may be included in a Devout Force with a Warped Lord.  Forces with a Visceramancer may have many.

Notes:

*CAUSE REVULSION:
     Many creatures intimidate their opponents with showy displays of bravado or menace, while others rely on cunning or deception.  Then there are those creatures that are so alien and so completely unnatural that many beings have the innate good sense to stay away from them entirely.  While a Charnel Golem causes Fear in Mortal Opponents (as per the standard rules), it imposes a penalty to LD tests for Beasts of -4.     

**WRITHING TENDRILS (4)
     Moving about on a mass of squirming intestine and animated flesh, the Charnel Golem's undulating method of movement is more than just a source of conveyance or revulsion. 
     Any model moving to attack the Charnel Golem in close combat loses their charge bonus as the writhing mass of flesh forces their balance into question and assaults those warriors with viciously sharp barbs, corrosive eruptions and random bone shards.
     Additionally, an attacking models CC score is reduced by 4 while their DEF adjustment is increased by 4 as they fight to get to the core of the creature.

***ABSORPTION
     Models killed by a Charnel Golem are absorbed by it if the Golem spends one action to assimilate the fallen flesh into its own mass.  It does not matter how many foes a Charnel Golem kills in a turn, whether it is one model or three, if they are within three inches of the Golem they are all absorbed with the cost of one action.  A Golem must do this either on the same turn it has killed its foes or on the first action of its next turn.
     Once assimilated, the Charnel Golem essentially regenerates its wounds.  If it absorbs more than its maximum 3 wounds, keep a six-sided die on hand and keep track of the extra flesh and bone mass it has stored.  If it absorbs six wounds above its basic 3, the Golem splits into two Charnel Golems.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 11:50:37 AM by Coil »
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
Re: The Charnel Golem Stats!!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 07:52:16 AM »
Interesting. I see a couple of things, but I'll get back to that later tonight.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 08:35:53 AM »
I've fielded this model before, and it is really fun to have on the board.  I've seen it crap out and do poorly like any individual on a bad day, and I've seen it kick butt when played tactically and with some luck.  Run it a few times, and really kick the tires.  That is the point of this being posted as it is. 

Please put the model on the board and see how it performs before jumping to conclusions. 

P.S.  It really plays as disgusting as it looks.   :P

Offline Southpaw

• Board Member
  • The Board
  • I see lead people.
    • Topkick's Trading Post
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 08:40:52 AM »
I like it at first glance, will need further review. Only thing that sticks out in my brain at this point is that the rules need to state what type of creature it is (Undead, Infernal, etc) for spells/abilities that affect certain creature types.

SP
Webmaster/Manager
Topkick's Trading Post

The one truth of the Dark Lord is this: death is inevitable, flesh decays, and power commands...

From The Scrolls of the Dead
Negral Zar'akin

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 08:49:52 AM »
A couple things jump out at me at first glance and asked Jason to run his Devout in our play test. I intend to run it as printed to see if the problems are really there and then if necessary tweak it a bit. When do you want the results? We don't get together as often as some groups and want to make sure we get our response back in time.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline Southpaw

• Board Member
  • The Board
  • I see lead people.
    • Topkick's Trading Post
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 08:56:05 AM »
What size force do you want to playtest this in, Big Bro? Figuring on the 800-1000 point range.

SP
Webmaster/Manager
Topkick's Trading Post

The one truth of the Dark Lord is this: death is inevitable, flesh decays, and power commands...

Negral Zar'akin

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 09:06:36 AM »
What size force do you want to playtest this in, Big Bro? Figuring on the 800-1000 point range.

SP

You set the pace. Make a force that incorporates it and let me know the points. We will match it. That way you can build a force tht incorporates it without making it too much or too little a focal point. After the initial test we can adjust point costs up and down to vary test conditions. We may even try and pry out the stats for a Viscreamancer to see how multiple Charnels effect play.

Viscreamancer - You didn't think I'd miss that little teaser did ya Josh?  ;D
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline Southpaw

• Board Member
  • The Board
  • I see lead people.
    • Topkick's Trading Post
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 09:10:03 AM »
Also, may need to clarify the "may have many" in the Requirements section. Yes I know we don't have the Visceramancer yet but that needs to be worded a little better. The way I read that, a force with a Viceramancer may include a Charnel Golem for each Individual spot in the roster.

SP
Webmaster/Manager
Topkick's Trading Post

Negral Zar'akin

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 09:16:19 AM »
This is exactly why Thom okayed me to post this.  It really needs to have the tires kicked.  Go for multiple point totals, run battles, do whatever it takes guys, as this is now on. 

As for the Visceramancer; I don't have anything on that, I promise.  This version of the Charnel Golem was actually handed to me a while ago, and finally is here.  I've played it a few times, think it's a very cool idea, and want it to be done right.  Thom already knows he will have to tweak it, so do what you guys do best.  Rock some Chronopia.

Archer faced this thing once at his place, in what is becoming a rare victory for Slater over him.  He seems to have mastered Chronopia and has handed me many defeats.  Sigh.

Offline Coil

• Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 01:55:11 PM »
Just a few questions to start.

*CAUSE REVULSION:
      While a Charnel Golem causes Fear in Mortal Opponents (as per the standard rules), it imposes a penalty to LD tests for Beasts of -4.
What models are Beasts? Any current ones? Maybe stick with one of the current abilities of Cause Fear/Panic/Dread/Horror instead?

**WRITHING TENDRILS (4)
     Any model moving to attack the Charnel Golem in close combat loses their charge bonus as the writhing mass of flesh forces their balance into question and assaults those warriors with viciously sharp barbs, corrosive eruptions and random bone shards.
     Additionally, an attacking models CC score is reduced by 4 while their DEF adjustment is increased by 4 as they fight to get to the core of the creature.
So it reduces the opponents CC by 4. Why not improve the baseline DEF instead? Is it because Thom wants to keep the relationship between DEF, CC and ARM?

The DEF penalty for enemies in CC with it could be replaced by increasing the CC score of the Golem instead since all enemies will be affected anyway.

***ABSORPTION
     Models killed by a Charnel Golem are absorbed by it if the Golem spends one action to assimilate the fallen flesh into its own mass.  It does not matter how many foes a Charnel Golem kills in a turn, whether it is one model or three, if they are within three inches of the Golem they are all absorbed with the cost of one action.  A Golem must do this either on the same turn it has killed its foes or on the first action of its next turn.
     Once assimilated, the Charnel Golem essentially regenerates its wounds.  If it absorbs more than its maximum 3 wounds, keep a six-sided die on hand and keep track of the extra flesh and bone mass it has stored.  If it absorbs six wounds above its basic 3, the Golem splits into two Charnel Golems.
So do you absorb the wounds of the slain model? E.q 3 if it has killed a Repulsar Knight?

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 05:48:18 AM »
1. Beasts are things like War Dogs, War Hawks, etc.

2. The Tendrils have played well as written, and if changed to a higher DEF, would change out things like Feint.

3.  This one as written is ambiguous and will need to be clarified!!  I saw this coming too.  Since the few times I've tested Ole Charney, it was only one wound models he actuallly brought down.  We'll see how Thom answers this one.

Offline Coil

• Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 07:04:38 AM »
Number 3 could be interesting if he faces big models like Totems or perhaps an Abyss Crawler. An AC would give him enough tokens to split. Could be something to watch out for in the testing.

Wedge, you want to start up the old Cyberboard and give him a spin?

Offline T Prime

• Big Kahuna, Chairman of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Member Prime
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 09:43:41 AM »
**WRITHING TENDRILS (4)

So it reduces the opponents CC by 4. Why not improve the baseline DEF instead? Is it because Thom wants to keep the relationship between DEF, CC and ARM?
The DEF penalty for enemies in CC with it could be replaced by increasing the CC score of the Golem instead since all enemies will be affected anyway.

That is a simple alternative.  I like that.  The point of the ability was to reduce the effective armour value as the model wades into CC with the CG and decrease the overall CC ability as well.  That said, another option would be to buiild the adjustments into the Golem in reverse and apply them as bonus' to its DEF and CC.  Perhaps built in is better??  Thoughts?
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc
Excelsior!!

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 09:51:06 AM »
Prime was here
Prime was here

All kidding aside, how are you sir?

Like the admendment to the rules also.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 09:54:37 AM by luckyone »
Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2008, 10:38:19 AM »
What will that do to models with Feint???????

Is it one wound absorbed per dead model, or one wound for each wound of the dead multi-wound models?