Author Topic: Ultimate Ultimate Warzone  (Read 10435 times)

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
Re: Ultimate Ultimate Warzone
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2008, 05:50:34 PM »
I know I'm probably going to get pelted with rotten veggies for saying this but--

Why is there, what seems to be a reticence amongst some of the brethren here to revist and make suggestions about evolving the game - unofficially (such as mechanics, unit ability and size tweaks, point values). 

I mean this is a forum for fans of the game meant to discuss and share about their experiences and ideas around the game. 

It's certainly not an insult or in any way disrespectful to the game's designers to talk about and suggest changes that would make the game even better and more balanced, after all they couldn't imagine every variable or contingency when designing the game.  That's what playtesting is all about.  Si?

And I certainly don't think anyone on here dreams of exploiting the game commerically without a proper license (I know I haven't got the time!)

I see game sites all the time with suggested "house rules" for varying systems.  Call them options inspired by the devoted and experienced players who know the game best.  After all it's all just food for thought, at the end of the day nothing we say here can or will alter the official rules until such a time that whomever owns the license decides to reprint a new version.

Anyway, that's my 5 second spiel, pelt away mes amies ---  ;D ;D ;D

...let me just get my rain poncho first.

D
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 05:55:55 PM by warzoneD »

Offline Nighthawk

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2008, 08:25:57 PM »
Oooooh  :o sayeth thee blasphemy-eth? jk

I agree with you man, but as Veez said "Paradox Entertainment's property"...

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2008, 04:28:00 AM »
Oooooh  :o sayeth thee blasphemy-eth? jk

I agree with you man, but as Veez said "Paradox Entertainment's property"...

Aaaaawwww.... someone win the lotto already.
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2008, 06:15:10 AM »
You are correct sir. There is alot of fuzzy areas (some missing) in the rules. There is/are opinions about these things all over the board. I hope someone or group would address these things and make decissions/clarify/improve/rewrite the rules for UWZ. I think everyone would be on board for this to happen.

I am under the opinion that if I dissagree with a rule clarification/rewrite that may be in the near future I would understand the fact that a decision made is better than no decision at all. I love the game as is, but there are areas that need a little work. IMHO. Everyone has an opinion (silent or written) about them. When I play Warzone/Chronopia, I just want to move figures throw some dice and have fun. When rules discussion gets in the way it reduces that fun. People watching the game are less likely to play if it turns into an argument also. That being said a rules rewrite would be appreciated by me.

I can say that the best games I played were againts people like Dave, Dragon, and Dodger. Rules were never an issue we just figured out what made sense and threw the dice. It is fun to win of course, but it is always a fun topic when Dave brings up the time he dropped in a unit of flamers and just demolished my Capital force from my own deloyment zone on turn 3. Dodger's Purple Shark just caused havoc on one of my armies and I could do nothing but sit and watch as it popped up and mowed down several squads of my troops. Dragon always has a well balanced army and every game seems to go to the last turn and could go either way. I have had my share of "luck" (lucky1 get it). I was able to hit Dave's Vulcan with a spade, take down a Behemoth with Brass knuckles, kill a key leader of his forces with a roll of a 1 with a missile launcher.  I have also played against many other people an had a great time - Cobolt, Philly etc.

If a rewrite/clarification comes about I can only hope it would be greeted with open minds and suggestions from the entire community would be incorporated into it.
Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2008, 04:55:10 PM »
I agree with your perspective on the game and on gaming lucky1 -

And btw - brass knuckles???   That's more than lucky, that's blessed!

D

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2008, 02:32:12 PM »
Quote from: warzoneD link=topic=5016.msg35691#msg35691 date=
I agree with your perspective on the game and on gaming lucky1 -

And btw - brass knuckles???   That's more than lucky, that's blessed!

D

I gotta back him up on this, WZD.  He not only took out the Behemoth, but that Leader he took out was in the same battle - Vahl'Dredd caught a missile with his teeth, but didn't count on it being a joke-store exploding cigar.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2008, 02:54:03 PM »
Quote from: warzoneD link=topic=5016.msg35664#msg35664 date=
I know I'm probably going to get pelted with rotten veggies for saying this but--

Why is there, what seems to be a reticence amongst some of the brethren here to revist and make suggestions about evolving the game - unofficially (such as mechanics, unit ability and size tweaks, point values). 

I mean this is a forum for fans of the game meant to discuss and share about their experiences and ideas around the game. 

It's certainly not an insult or in any way disrespectful to the game's designers to talk about and suggest changes that would make the game even better and more balanced, after all they couldn't imagine every variable or contingency when designing the game.  That's what playtesting is all about.  Si?

And I certainly don't think anyone on here dreams of exploiting the game commerically without a proper license (I know I haven't got the time!)

I see game sites all the time with suggested "house rules" for varying systems.  Call them options inspired by the devoted and experienced players who know the game best.  After all it's all just food for thought, at the end of the day nothing we say here can or will alter the official rules until such a time that whomever owns the license decides to reprint a new version.

Anyway, that's my 5 second spiel, pelt away mes amies ---  ;D ;D ;D

...let me just get my rain poncho first.

D

Nicely siad, bud, nicely said.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2008, 05:13:26 PM »
Also if this task is ever undertaken, might I put in a vote for an index.   ;D ;D ;D

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2008, 05:25:08 PM »
An index???  Like the one I made and posted way back when Ultimate Edition came out?  Who would think to do that? ;D

I'll find the post and put it here.

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2008, 05:47:54 PM »
BLESS YOU, SIR!  BLESS YOU!   :-[ :-[ :-[

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2008, 09:31:35 PM »
Index...INDEX...We don't need no stinkin' index Senor.  :P

Bah....kids today!!! In my day a gamer thumbed through his book hunting for the rules - with real thumbs. Next thing you know they'll want an errata, then a new edition, then more miniatures.......   ;D
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2008, 09:41:13 PM »
Bah....kids today!!! In my day a gamer thumbed through his book hunting for the rules - with real thumbs.
Thumbs?!?! Bah, luxury. In my day we hadn't even evolved the opposable thumb but we were happy in our gaming anyway. :P

But tell the kids today about it and the wont believe you. :)

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2008, 10:42:05 PM »
You were lucky to have evolved, we were stuck in the protozoa stage when I was kid---  etc.

@topkick - ROFL!