Author Topic: Warzone (Mutant Chronicles) movie trailer & update  (Read 26279 times)

Offline Alxbates

Warzone (Mutant Chronicles) movie trailer & update
« on: July 03, 2008, 03:18:15 PM »
Well, I'm not a Warzone player at all (generally, I don't play any sci-fi or modern games at all - strictly an ancients and fantasy guy), but Aintitcool posted this, and I figured I'd pass the link along:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/37312

The trailer is right here:

http://www.thomasjane.com/mutantChronicles/

It doesn't look like a straight-up adaptation of the game/RPG setting at all, but you can definitely see some inspiration there.  Doesn't look too bad, I think I'm cautiously optimistic for this to be a good low-budget sci fi flick.  It might even inspire some folks who are normally non-gamers to check it out.

More realistically, it might remind some gamers who don't currently play the game that it exists and is worth their time and interest.

-Alex
Wan Chew Tree Faw!

Offline wmeredith

• Ebay sig. 9390william.
Re: Warzone (Mutant Chronicles) movie trailer & update
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 04:46:35 PM »
Hello

I think that a movie that will go straight to video and doesn't even remotely resemble the game/world setting that spawned it will do little to generate interest. Sorry but I will pass.

wmeredith.
Wise men say absolute power corrupts absolutely I am not a wise man.

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 06:33:39 PM »
I'll disagree with Bill, on thi, respectfully.

It looks pretty good, and I would like to see the final product.

It appears that they have taken artistic license.  It appears that it is not your father's Warzone.  But, neither was the new Battlestar Galactica.  Battlestar Galactica wound up being better than the original series - by far.  I will give this a chance (though the CMG can kiss my Irish posterior end).  The cinematics look cool, and it appears that the genre is there, even if it is not completely how we all know it.  I'll admit that I was never one who was much for the fluff - I was in it for the game - therefore, I may not be the best judge.

Who knows, it might be good.  It might generate more interest in our game.  It might not be or do either.  I'll see it before I pass judgement.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 06:58:57 AM »
I'll probably end up seeing it.  I hold no great hopes and I am dissappointed that it won't be true Warzone.  But it might turn out to be a decent flic.
Its not the dog in the fight, its the fight in the dog!

ebay "handle": irishdog143

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 07:15:40 AM »
Hey it's SciFi it goes without saying i'll be watching it if it's released. ;D
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline Vile_Tuntematinen

• Journeyman
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 07:16:03 AM »
Am VERY sceptic about this production...
many plot changes and other things make me very suspicious about the final movie

hope to be wrong...

but till then...

Am still watching "Ghosts Of Mars" ;)... Besides, Carpenter was signed to be the director of the 1st,never finished, MC movie!
(watching this movie, I always find HUGE similarities with the Mc universe, even the Cartel n' the weapons of Semai r there!)

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 09:45:48 AM »
You nailed it.  John Carpenter retooled his own movie out of the mess, and he did a good job on that one.  I like his films.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 08:33:27 AM »
I'll disagree with Bill, on thi, respectfully.

It looks pretty good, and I would like to see the final product.

It appears that they have taken artistic license.  It appears that it is not your father's Warzone.  But, neither was the new Battlestar Galactica.  Battlestar Galactica wound up being better than the original series - by far.  I will give this a chance (though the CMG can kiss my Irish posterior end).  The cinematics look cool, and it appears that the genre is there, even if it is not completely how we all know it.  I'll admit that I was never one who was much for the fluff - I was in it for the game - therefore, I may not be the best judge.

Who knows, it might be good.  It might generate more interest in our game.  It might not be or do either.  I'll see it before I pass judgement.

I agree. I say the proof is in the pudding. I wouln't mind seeing it. If someone sees it, likes it, googles it they may find us and start to play. Who knows. How does anyone get a start in our hobby if they don't have someone to expose them to it?

What if Scifi did the MC universe like they did BG? I can only hope. It would be interesting IMHO.
Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.

Offline Glenn M

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 06:23:55 PM »
Well, I watched it, and yeah, it managed to hit the interwebs already.  But anyways, having very little exposure to the MC universe, it was a very dark moody film, filled with mass amounts of explosions and gritty gory death.  So I liked it for what it was.  The Bone-blade things were crap though, what the heck were they thinking.  So yeah, taken as a interesting Sci-Fi, I enjoyed it a lot.  My wife didn't though, but then I did not expect her to. 

Offline Nighthawk

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2008, 03:53:11 AM »
Thomas Jane regarding the leaked unfinished version on the Raw Studios forum.

"f**k em all, it's like catching a belly dancer take a sh*t backstage, might be free, but it's definitely not what she came for."

then he posted a new MC poster.

Offline Sylvas

• Midwest Crusader
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2008, 07:42:22 AM »
okay...

now if I'm wrong, please correct me...

isn't Thomas Jane supposed to be Mitch Hunter...because that poster really looks like the Punisher...Hunter was supposed to be a military officer, right?...

I'm confused now...
eBay name: sylvas1970

Offline Glenn M

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2008, 02:07:33 PM »
He's wearing a brown overcoat. 

And personally, watching that made me want to go see the film in theatres.  I really think it was done on purpose to drum up interest.  No wi plan to sap all my friends into going to watch it, great film.

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2008, 11:47:33 AM »
Classically Hunter was a Sea Lion or Polar Trident.  Of course, classically he had shoulder pads, Mars, Venus, Mercury were terraformed, there was a fifth Megacorporation, Earth was abandoned....
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Horned God

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2008, 02:09:21 PM »
Considering I've actually seen this movie. Yes this movie is more like a story about right before the Corps leave Earth, and an adaptation of the MC backstory universe.

It is a decent movie. I liked it, and no I don't think the actors will win Oscar nods for the movie. Its a fairly medium-budget movie. It's not low-budget nor high. Like a really good B-movie, like B+.

The zombie/mutant guys are pretty deadly actually.

Glad they made the movie. I had fun watching it. I say support it and rent it on DVD if you don't see it at the movies. Oh, and Mitch is a sgt in the Capitol forces, not an officer yet the movie takes place in the MC universe's past before they go to Mars and considering the role he plays at the end of the movie, perhaps he got a promotion to officer if they ever made a part 2 to become the Colonel Mitch Hunter you all know and love.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 02:13:12 PM by Horned God »

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2008, 07:00:26 AM »
I think they still have to make it to part 1 first.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!