Author Topic: Foul wind 2nd try  (Read 5383 times)

Offline Fetzenbankert

• WARFIELD 28
Foul wind 2nd try
« on: May 26, 2008, 06:52:04 AM »
Sorry to bring that issue up again, but I played a Demnogonis-army the first time with the UWZ-rules and I found out that the foul wind-rule is extremely vague and lousy explained. I read the posts to this questions in this forum, but I am still not satisfied. Some people stated, that the model using the foul wind has to have killed a "mortal" (who else? except the cybers) in CC.
1) Thats stated nowhere, that the model has to kill the other by itself.
2) If thats the case anyway, then where is the difference to Raise Undead ? (IMO these two SA then would be quite the same)
I am very curious, because I didnt want to play in an illegitimate way and therefore didnt use this SA - alas, I really would like to, so any suggestions are welcome.

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
Re: Foul wind 2nd try
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 09:14:20 AM »
I read it as you do, Fetzenbankert - the model performing Foul Wind does not have to have had killed the freshly dead model.  The Foul Wind is a template, and will raise any number of models under the template, I believe.  I do not see, in the Special Ability, how it could be otherwise.

This is not an official answer, as I am speaking only for myself - not the FAQ Team.  If they have a different interpretation, I am sure that my chimings will bring them out.  ;)
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Southpaw

• Board Member
  • The Board
  • I see lead people.
    • Topkick's Trading Post
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 07:27:54 AM »
The Foul Wind is not a template. It was, but is not in UWZ. Per the FAQ:

Page 74: Foul Wind SA

Q: Is there a range or template associated with Foul Wind?

A: The ability may only be used on targets that are in CC with the wielder.

Hope this helps.

SP
Webmaster/Manager
Topkick's Trading Post

The one truth of the Dark Lord is this: death is inevitable, flesh decays, and power commands...

From The Scrolls of the Dead
Negral Zar'akin

Offline Fetzenbankert

• WARFIELD 28
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 10:43:05 AM »
Tanks alot for the replies, but, uhh, sorry, it didnt help. I already read the FAQs and also the answer, but IMHO this cant be correct - otherwise where is then the difference between Foul wind and Raise undead???

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 11:16:34 AM »
It does indeed look strange.

Offline Southpaw

• Board Member
  • The Board
  • I see lead people.
    • Topkick's Trading Post
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 11:58:44 AM »
Yeah I always thought it odd, personally. The power was nerfed considerably as compared to previous incarnations. Probably the #1 reason I haven't played my Demnogonis army in a very long time....

SP
Webmaster/Manager
Topkick's Trading Post

The one truth of the Dark Lord is this: death is inevitable, flesh decays, and power commands...

Negral Zar'akin

Offline aoi cobalt

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 05:46:07 PM »
As far as I can tell, Raise Dead requires that the model with Raise Dead kills the target.
Foul Wind only needs to be in CC with a freshly killed mortal. They don't have to be the one to kill it.
In fact, it may be that after someone else kills the mortal model, the model with Foul Wind could move into CC with the freshly killed model, and use Foul Wind (that is, the power is range touch). Does this sound like it might be a way it should work?
"Bring your best dice or bring a good brick." - Thom

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 12:31:57 AM »
This whole image of the SA  being called foul wind and then one having to be up close to "touch" the target, conjurs up some rather unpleasant images and memories of older brother torments .  ;)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 02:01:17 PM by warzoneD »

Offline Southpaw

• Board Member
  • The Board
  • I see lead people.
    • Topkick's Trading Post
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 08:34:47 AM »
This whole image of the SA  being called foul wind and then one having to be up close to "touch" the target, conjurs up some rather unpleasant images and memories of older brother torents .  ;)

This is as it should be. The Great Befouler is pleased. :)

SP
Webmaster/Manager
Topkick's Trading Post

Negral Zar'akin

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 04:38:04 PM »
Quote from: Southpaw link=topic=4915.msg34115#msg34115 date=
Quote from: warzoneD link=topic=4915.msg34094#msg34094 date=
This whole image of the SA  being called foul wind and then one having to be up close to "touch" the target, conjurs up some rather unpleasant images and memories of older brother torents .  ;)

This is as it should be. The Great Befouler is pleased. :)

SP

Disgustedly, karma to you, both (as I quietly laugh my ass off, being the older brother that I am ;) )
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!