Author Topic: Warzone Proxies in Tournaments  (Read 10756 times)

Iron Panda

Warzone Proxies in Tournaments
« on: December 27, 2005, 12:20:11 PM »
I've got some DL stuff mixed together and did some inventory. I found out that I can't field some necromutants.  I've bought some boxed sets of undead legionnaries and found out that they look like neronian legionnaires.  In tournaments, can I proxy them for necromutants and not violate any rules?  And for that matter, for example, can I proxy acolytes for heretic legionnaires if there's insufficient amount of figs available?

Thanks in advance!

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
Re: Warzone Proxies in Tournaments
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2005, 01:43:05 PM »
Not being the "gaming Company from Across the Big Blue," EE tournies still want you to use their figures, where possible, and they should be painted.

That said, it is usually not contested by the other players, and seldom is it mentioned by the Tourney Supervisors.  They are more interested in growing the hobby, the fan base, and, most importantly, that everyone has fun at the tourney.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Sylvas

• Midwest Crusader
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2005, 07:15:47 PM »
personally....as long as I know what something is supposed to be, then I'm fine with it....just roll the dice and let's move some pewter...

B.
I waste 'em with my crossbow...
eBay name: sylvas1970

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2005, 07:38:43 PM »
in EE sanctioned events you need to have the correct figures as long as they are available.    That said, I have no problem with someone playin with figures they've just bought or they've customized like crazy.

If nothing else, get in touch with the event organizer and clear it first.  I know i've had events that I've shown up to and have lost mini's (i'm still hunting for my two Golems of Darkness) the worst being the loss of a Strike Skimmer (we used half a styrofoam cup in proxy).

-PFC joe
Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2005, 12:01:16 AM »
In cases of proxying it is always good to check with the tourney organizer. In my opinion they should allow some internal proxying within the EE range as long as it is clear what the model is intended to represent.

So I would say that it's okay to use any of the undead models to represent Undead Legionaires for example and I wouldn't turn down someone who used old style Hussars as normal Hussars , instead of as Pauldron Hussars which they are used as now.

If you do use proxies the same type of model shouldn't be used as two different unit types. So avoid using the old style Hussars as both normal and Pauldrons at the same time.

/Andreas

the worst being the loss of a Strike Skimmer (we used half a styrofoam cup in proxy).

Was it at least an EE styrofoam cup?  :P

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
  • Your Benevolent Dictator
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2005, 09:01:07 AM »

So I would say that it's okay to use any of the undead models to represent Undead Legionaires for example and I wouldn't turn down someone who used old style Hussars as normal Hussars , instead of as Pauldron Hussars which they are used as now.

/Andreas

From what I read, Pauldron Hussars have the silver pauldron on their left arm, so I figured I could use either the new or old Hussars to represent them, as long as the shoulder is the appropriate color. (I like both the new and old Hussars)  Or perhaps just using the Hussars with the caps as the Pauldrons.
"You were engineered with such potential, Serpentor. But you lack the most important DNA of all... Mine!"
Homebase: Northern New Jersey
Ebay: Mokodoba

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2005, 02:01:58 PM »
Technically, the Pauldron Hussars are the old model Hussars, and the regular Hussars are the new models.  I use them both, interchangeably, sometimes, too (and it's a chrome shoulder armor - not silver, ;)).
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2005, 02:59:16 PM »
Chrome.... silver.... either way, everyone loves shiny things :)
"You were engineered with such potential, Serpentor. But you lack the most important DNA of all... Mine!"

Offline Stalker

• FAQ Team
  • Mid-west Crusader / FAQ team member
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2005, 11:06:48 PM »
When I am helping a new player break into the game, I tell him/her to vring what ever they have so that they can push pieces and learn the rules.  While we're playing I suggest ways that (s)he can "upgrade" thier collection to EE stock because they'll want to be prepared and not get shut out of sanctioned events.

That said, I do allow a certain amount of leway in tournies as long as they approach me ahead of time and I can notify the rest of the players.
If you shoot for the moon and miss, you are still among the stars.

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2005, 11:10:33 PM »
I second everything Stalker said.

-PFC joe

Offline chribu

• Keeping track of all the answers
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2005, 05:44:56 AM »
I was just about to buy some warzone 1st and 2nd edition miniatures. Should I look for 3rd edition instead? Or most units are the same as the old ones and there are only a few new models for the 3rd edition?

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2005, 05:50:44 AM »
All models from every edition (except the old roleplaying figs and a few of the uglier oens from over the eyars) have a place in UWZ.  They just might be a little different.  The old Dragoons are now the Wolfhead Dragoons and the newer sculpt are the regular dragoons.  The same for the Blitzers (new sculpt) and the Romanov Blitzers (old sculpt).

If nothing else, check the EE online store and see what's what now.

-PFC joe
« Last Edit: December 29, 2005, 05:58:44 AM by PFC joe »

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2005, 06:45:21 AM »
Is there any word on official Freedom Brigade minis?  Although, since they're really the only Capitol pieces that need to be made, I'm sure they're at the end of the line behind alot of Mishima stuff.

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2005, 07:15:22 AM »
No official word that I've heard of. Some people use the old football/baseball type Cap infantry, which is OK I guess for those who like those sculpts.

Modding LI or HI or perhaps even Free Marines could be an option.

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2005, 07:34:04 AM »
I have a few of the old Football/Baseball guys, but not really enough to make a squad.  However, I was thinking of using them as Cartel troops.