Author Topic: Cave System - WIP  (Read 15190 times)

Offline Glenn M

Re: Cave System - WIP
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2008, 08:01:47 AM »

I have a ton more pieces cast waiting for paint as well.

Offline JonatanRaven

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2008, 09:40:02 AM »
That looks awesome! We're just starting out making terrain, albeit for warzone, but still. Anything like that would fit on my gameboard warzone or not..
Quoth the Raven Nevermore!

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2008, 10:08:02 AM »
That is some really fine Hirst craft there Glenn.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2008, 11:09:01 AM »
That's inspiring.  I've looked at the Hirst Art Molds, but having a forum member show us pics like this really makes me want to give it a go.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Glenn M

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2008, 04:26:41 PM »
Hirst stuff is great, although a bit time consuming and it can be quite tedious, especially if you are doing casts while working on the build.
Anyways, I hope to at least double that build.  Then I'll be able to happily play whatever I choose on the battlefield.

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2008, 03:46:03 AM »
I just got done doing a castle for my daughter's school project and Glenn M is right on the money.  Thanks to him I finally got the consistency right and the last twenty bricks were perfect.  However there were 400 I did up before that to build a castle that was a little more than a foot square.

The molds really are fantastic but you need to be really patient and have lots of time to prepare if you are doing a large project. 
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Glenn M

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2008, 06:22:03 AM »
Actually, that plaster consistency is what Bruce suggests somewhere on his massive website.

Here is what I am doing, 1 cast every night, after the bricks are done, put them in a storage unit (I store them by type, so all caves go together, all egyptian, etc) then when you want to build something, there are tons of bricks available, this works pretty well for me, but I haven't yet built a large catalog of bricks.

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2008, 06:47:58 AM »
For a large project like the cathedral I did, it does take some time to cast all the pieces.

I usually have 5-10 molds at the table, fill them up, scrape after a few minutes and then I paint some minis for 20 minutes (or watch TV) until they're ready.

If you manage to cast your mold(s) 2-3 times per night you'll get enough pieces for a medium sized project in a week.

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2008, 08:21:32 AM »
Looks great!  I wish that I had time/patience for this.  I barely get any painting done.  Cudos to you and all your very cool terrain.
Its not the dog in the fight, its the fight in the dog!

ebay "handle": irishdog143

Offline JonatanRaven

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2008, 01:51:21 PM »
For a large project like the cathedral I did, it does take some time to cast all the pieces.

I usually have 5-10 molds at the table, fill them up, scrape after a few minutes and then I paint some minis for 20 minutes (or watch TV) until they're ready.

If you manage to cast your mold(s) 2-3 times per night you'll get enough pieces for a medium sized project in a week.
Dang, that's a lot of work. I'm starting to regret I ever went into this type of games.. ;)
Quoth the Raven Nevermore!

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2008, 11:15:56 AM »
Amen brother.  I've taken to sending armies to paint services.  Never thought I would, but I'm going crazier trying to keep up the progress.

I see the work of Glenn and Coil and Andy and my jaw drops. 
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Alxbates

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2008, 07:58:10 PM »
Wow, man, GREAT stuff!  I haven't touched the dungeon moulds, but I'm a big fan of the Hirst mini-hobby.

-Alex
Wan Chew Tree Faw!