Author Topic: State of the Nation II  (Read 15911 times)

Offline PhillySniper

• Member Emeritus
Re: State of the Nation II
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2008, 07:34:07 AM »

The idea of cooking up a new game with the solid UWZ system does appeal, though.

That it does.  I've worked over some 40k figs into UWZ stats and from what I experienced and others have, the 40k conversions to UWZ rules rocked for players.  With a team of people cooking up the rules for various lines and someone to write the necesary fluff alteration to not only use the existing figs but anything else, it's not hard at all to re-release the rules and some variant forcelists.

If I was a better writing fluff, I'd do it.  I already have a bunch of ideas in my head that would possibly work.  Perhaps I'll write them out.  *shrug*

Im willing to help write fluff IF people help with ideas. Im an average writer but I stink at comeing up with ideas. I can take an idea and run with it but have real trouble coming up with fluff of my own. So if WE want to take a stab at it...let me know... Im down to try.
Shoot First and ask questions later.

Homebase- Philadelphia
Ebay name. Phillychocolatem

Offline semai99

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2008, 02:38:58 PM »
OOOOhhhhhh  I mentioned this on TMP, but the 54mm would be good to cherry pick for a fig or to to repaint as statues. ;D

I agree with coil might be a very good source for large mutant chronicles statues which will fit in perfectly with everything else.

I've got over 1500 warzone minis why would I want to collect a collectible game now?
I came, I saw, I ran away

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2008, 03:36:00 PM »
OOOOhhhhhh  I mentioned this on TMP, but the 54mm would be good to cherry pick for a fig or to to repaint as statues. ;D

I agree with coil might be a very good source for large mutant chronicles statues which will fit in perfectly with everything else.

I've got over 1500 warzone minis why would I want to collect a collectible game now?

But these are nice and soft and rubbery-and you never get what you want so you have to buy more!  What?  You don't want them yet?
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Stalker

• FAQ Team
  • Mid-west Crusader / FAQ team member
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2008, 07:25:13 PM »
Archer, Madbrad, Philly et al. I applaud your enthusiasm but I for one do not share it. Yes the core rules system in UWZ is awesome. Fairly fluid for quick play but has enough complexity to create good strategic and tactical games. However, the fluff is Mutant Chronicles! If you take away/change the fluff you destroy the game. I am not a minis fan. I never was and never will be. I prefer a game that I can take out of the box, set it up and play. Modeling. painting, and building terrain is not fun, it is work to me. With that said, you think I would be a fan of FFG but, I'm not for the same reason that I don't like the idea of redoing the fluff. When I spoke to the FFG reps at GenCon 2007, they could not tell me a thing about the game, other than the rules of how to play. Therefore it was already a "dead" game, even more so than UWZ! I am a role-player (as I'm sure many of you are too) and as such I thrive on the color and flavor of the game. I was first drawn into the MC universe through the DoomTroopers card game. From there I discovered the role-playing game and quickly fell in love with the rich full well developed history and the dark, gritty feel. Remember the role-playing game was around first and gave birth to Warzone. If it wasn't for this, the heart and soul of the MC Universe, I would have never ever considered sinking my money into the expensive hobby of table top miniatures.

I'm not saying that you can't make vibrant and exciting fluff to rival this, I'm just saying that no sequeal (generally speaking) is as good as the original. AND why work on a sequeal when we have a very fine product already?
If you shoot for the moon and miss, you are still among the stars.

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2008, 08:17:04 PM »
I'm not saying that you can't make vibrant and exciting fluff to rival this, I'm just saying that no sequeal (generally speaking) is as good as the original. AND why work on a sequeal when we have a very fine product already?

Very good points sir.
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2008, 09:36:00 AM »
Well we've got some free pdf's to look forward to from Thom.  That's a good thing.  Our community is intact, we have lots of good trading going on, community support for makers of proxies overseas, and a yearly event that rocks.  I'm guessing the state of the nation is alright.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2008, 04:06:08 PM »
i also think the "living rulebook" is the only way to ever attrackt ppl.

also, we are all collectors here, no one else could dream of an easy accessable warzone army ~1000 P.

if the rules, and perhaps some rule evolution, live, it will be a great deed already!

with the pdf rulebooks, the new players could even turn into the "real" fluff after gotten hooked.
"Donīt anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2008, 12:46:56 AM »
But back to the original topic in the first post - I wasn't here last year, but am dang glad to be here now and want to say thanks to all you fellas for the warm welcome!

D

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2008, 12:10:20 PM »
With the price of metals, is there anyone on this forum that could possibly buy now, at today's prices, all the models they currently have?
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2008, 12:35:42 PM »
No way I could.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2008, 01:57:59 PM »
With the price of metals, is there anyone on this forum that could possibly buy now, at today's prices, all the models they currently have?
I happen to have 50 lbs. (22.72 kg) of antimony laced lead in my possession - anyone got molds?  ;)
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2008, 02:33:46 PM »

Hmmm....  *looks at all Warzone(300+), Chrono(125+), 40k (400+), Battlemechs (300+ mechs alone), Gears (30) and BFG ships (30+)*

No f'ing way.  I'd need to win a lottery.
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y

Offline semai99

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2008, 02:37:07 PM »

Nope definitely not, I bought over Ģ500 worth a few years ago ( a last binge to fill some gaps when it was being dropped first time around) and they were a 1/3 of the '95 prices (so effectively Ģ1500 worth of figures) so no way could I afford the eBay for prince august prices.
I came, I saw, I ran away

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2008, 09:32:15 PM »
Fuhgedaboudit.

Offline Freak2

• Journeyman
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2008, 04:36:35 AM »
Was toying with the idea of using the UWZ rules for an updated version of Battletech's Battletroops, not sure how to work some of it though, anyone else think I'm nuts?