Author Topic: Airbrushing base coats  (Read 6886 times)

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
Airbrushing base coats
« on: March 04, 2008, 01:12:49 AM »
Has anyone tried this?  Results? I imagine it'd be faster

Offline Alpha

• FAQ Team
Re: Airbrushing base coats
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 04:32:00 PM »
I sometimes do it....either airpbush or spray paint of the "base" color. Good way to get a solid overall color to quickly get a squad painted.
The only problem is the colors themselves aren't as easy to determine highlights and shadows as the (for example) Citadel Colors...

The best way to do this is if you're mass painting.....I'll spray like 20 Ducal Militia charcoal gray, then drybrush them all. After that, you can add details and spot colors. At this point, they are perfectly table worthy....and it's up to you how much work you do on insignia, washes, etc.
Arch Nemesis of the Pathetically Correct
Ebay Handle: Alpha-Male

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 05:12:29 PM »
Was toying around with running my GW colors through my airbrush.  Do you think I'd have to thin them first???

D

Offline Lopis

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 03:47:37 AM »

Depends extremely on the jet you use with your airbrush, but normally you have to thin the colours a bit for this type
Solus honor cladem avertat !

Offline semai99

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 10:49:04 AM »
The only problem using acrylics with an airbrush is you have to use thinners to get reasonable results, unless you want to clog up the airbrush. Basically acrylic dries too quick which is what it is designed to do, imagine painting your figures using oils or enamels all the time.
I came, I saw, I ran away

Offline Alpha

• FAQ Team
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 07:27:26 PM »
Was toying around with running my GW colors through my airbrush.  Do you think I'd have to thin them first???

D

You'll almost certainly have to thin them.....Citadel colors are pretty thick and heavy.
Arch Nemesis of the Pathetically Correct
Ebay Handle: Alpha-Male

Offline Necromutant

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 01:52:03 PM »
I have done this with 15mm WWII minis, I used Tamiya paints though.  It worked great, not sure if you could find the colors your looking for in Tamiya though, could also alway look into the Vallejo airbrush paints as well (more color options there as far as I know).  But it is super fast and you get much better color choices than you do with spray base coats :)

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 05:21:42 AM »

D

You'll almost certainly have to thin them.....Citadel colors are pretty thick and heavy.

Thick and heavy, and yet they somehow manage to be completely transparent as well.  They just announced a new line of non-translucents for base-coating but I have not heard anything about those recently which makes me wonder if they have dropped them. 

A pity because as much as I hate to admit it, Codex Grey, Fortress Grey, Catachan Green, and Boltgun Metal are some of the staples of my painting (if you look at my figs you will see those colors over and over again).
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 08:28:38 AM »
Believe it or not I actually have still have sealed and usable paints from their old line - circa 1990's.

D

Offline semai99

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 11:58:39 AM »
Believe it or not I actually have still have sealed and usable paints from their old line - circa 1990's.

D

I too have some of the old paints they didn't dry up as quickly as the newer version of paints
I came, I saw, I ran away