Author Topic: Sweep Attack (Revisited)  (Read 33407 times)

Wedge

Re: Sweep Attack (Revisited)
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2006, 10:08:58 AM »
I guess the biggest problem I have with the sweep ability is that a standard grunt troop like an elf axement can sweep and an "elite" troop like the Viridian Lords apparently cannot sweep.  Let's be honest, how often have you had the chance to sweep with an elf axeman?  That would require two or more opponents charging and not being able to kill a guy with 0 defense.  I know it is possible, but it doesn't happen that often.

I still awake Thom's official reply.

Offline Gallagher_Standard_Barer

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2006, 10:28:03 AM »
While some units might seem to be deprived giving Sweep to everyone will create the Uber-individuals and Death-units that plagued 1st ed Warzone.
What you mean you didn't like having a Mourning Wolf Chieftess with 10 MV, 6 WD and the ability to humble opponents with a mighty stare...Ok on second thought yeah it was the heroes that ruined 1st ed warzone.

I don't play chronopia, however since sweep is a factor in both Warzone and Chrono I thought I would weigh in on the issue.  I say keep sweep as is, the reprocussions of a change are sweeping, (wow thats a bad, bad pun and I didn't even realize I'd made it until my final read through and edit).  And I know situations where units that don't have sweep would be able to if they had such an ability comes up pretty frequently in my Warzone games.

Offline Buzzu

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2009, 04:06:22 PM »
I don't know how much sense has got to write on a post of 4 years ago. Anyway, seen that the official answer still hasn't come, I give my opinion too.

Sweep is one of the funniest, maybe, but surely irrealistic game effects. It's something frightening and innatural. I appreciated the fact that very few units have got it. I use the untamed, and I can perfectly understand the disapointment in seeing the cursed able to sweep and the heartguard unable to do it, even if the warriors are alive, strong, cool and with great axes.
But you can easily solve the frustration playing the shadow tribe with an unholy champion, a line of 12 unlivings, and a warband of cursed as allied. Boosted by the unholy and sweeping everything.
I agree with the ones who think that "sweep" has to be considered a sort of ability of the troop rather than a charachteristic of the weapon.
In this second case, infact, a two-handed sword should be unable to sweep, as Wedge instead suggested, 'cause the sweeping effect is not due (in my opinion) to the cutting effect of a blade, but to the kinetik push of the weighted head of the weapon. That's why I could better imagine that a two-handed flail should have the sweep and a two-handed sword shouldn't.
In any case, I'm not Mr. Talamini nor a member of "dark simmetry" staff, so I think that, if they imagined  a certain point cost for a unit they considered the effects of the sweep in this cost, and the addiction of a sweep to a unit who hasn't it should vary the cost of the unit of many points.

When I played my untamed in the first edition, my opponents always refused to use the climatic rules. After a lot of matches lost, I noticed my friends how my basic warriors had a PC very high if compared with their's, and we decided to reduce the PC of my tribal warriors of 3 points for every climatic ability they got, because, never using them, there was a value of unuseful ability which, on 1500 army points, led me to have 2/3 of the minis of my opponents on the field. PC of the units has it's sense because it considers everything of the unit's possibility.
Sweep is a very powerful effect. If you think that an elven axeman will rarely have the possibility to use it, well... maybe that's why he got it! The bone golem has it and i think it's a little exaggerated. Just really think to a Black sister champion with a sweep ability. In one very very lucky turn she could killl, with 15 in close combat skill (17 if considering the charge) and the secondary attack, up to 7-8 opponents not too much tough. I think that's what it happens when trying to justify the unreal with the "epic flavour", exageration leads from the nice to the ridiculous. With no offense.

Cheers to you all. 

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2009, 08:15:57 AM »
I've never found sweep to be an issue.  It rarely happens in a game.  If the Elven Axeman is not brought down by four actions of the opposing player, assuming that unit activated first and is either in close combat, or within charge movement and then a second CC attack, then a sweep is not so unbalanced.  If the Elven Axeman was able to do this sweep in combination with a charge, and break the rules by going in between models, then it would be broken.

I've not heard any fuss over sweep before, but that's my take on it.

Cheers.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2009, 08:21:27 AM »
To more readily address your concerns, as Thom returns to the gaming world, sans the IP of someone else, it may be a good time to look closely at sweep.

It's been many, many games of Chronopia between the first post and now, and, in retrospect, I'm not of the opinion that changing the game mechanic would have made them more fun.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA